🔹 What's Happening With Project X?

Approved 62 years ago, and with our only alternate train station down for the next 5 years,
i wonder if there's a snowball's chance in hell the project ever starts.

Approved 62 years ago, and with our only alternate train station down for the next 5 years,
i wonder if there's a snowball's chance in hell the project ever starts.
Odurandina -- Much better than a snowballs chance

If they mentioned this in a Teleconference associated with their quarterly financials -- its fairly high on the priority list -- if you are Publicly Traded company -- you don't mention $300M? projects casually -- the SEC might be listening in on the call

The worst proposal in Boston for a long time. Stack of blocks, tacky, overbearing, and walling off money views of the Hancock.
DZH -- these are the same folks who paid big $ for the former Hancock [now 200 Clarendon] -- I doubt that they would approve anything from their architects which damaged the value of 200 Clarendon

Hey guys! A few of us in the office were staring at The Alcott rise today and got into a conversation about the rising height of Boston's skyline. So that led me to a question none of us could answer. Would you guys be able to apprximate when the following buildings plan to rise as the Alcott started doing last month?

• One Congress / State Street HQ --> I suspect the summer (?)
  • St. Regis --> Not sure at all.
  • Winthrop Square Tower --> Now that the second crane is up, maybe it will start rising soon?
  • Fenway Center Phase Two when it goes u/c --> I suspect 12-16 months after groundbreaking.

Hey guys! A few of us in the office were staring at The Alcott rise today and got into a conversation about the rising height of Boston's skyline. So that led me to a question none of us could answer. Would you guys be able to apprximate when the following buildings plan to rise as the Alcott started doing last month?

• One Congress / State Street HQ --> I suspect the summer (?)
  • St. Regis --> Not sure at all.
  • Winthrop Square Tower --> Now that the second crane is up, maybe it will start rising soon?
  • Fenway Center Phase Two when it goes u/c --> I suspect 12-16 months after groundbreaking.
Massachoicetts -- The following is just my "hopefully semi-educated guess" -- since outside of some walk-abouts and some reading I am not privy to any inside information. Note that I define rise as some easily observable increase in the basic plane of construction above either the nearby unmodified surface [e.g. a street or sidewalk or parking lot] or something else besides a deepening or widening hole in the ground.

• One Congress / State Street HQ --> early phase of excavating -- perhaps by this time next year
  • St. Regis --> very soon -- by June
  • Winthrop Square Tower --> Now that the second crane is up -- Now to early March
  • Fenway Center Phase Two when it goes u/c --- No idea
  • South Station Air Rights -- late summer for the platform
  • Google -- Next year
  • Amazon -- a month or so
[/QUOTE]

CoronaQuestion. On the way into work I was seeing construction sites large and small full of workers. Then I got to work and it's a ghost town and nobody is working.

Any word on construction pauses due to this viral shutdown?

CoronaQuestion. On the way into work I was seeing construction sites large and small full of workers. Then I got to work and it's a ghost town and nobody is working.

Any word on construction pauses due to this viral shutdown?
Vagabond -- the people who work with their hands are still working on the project sites
The people who "work with their head" -- have been mostly told to stay home and work remotely

Note that the two categories overlap is situations such as Biotech labs where not all the wet work is being done by robots or machine shops where people need to be on the scene to monitor the CNC and robots

From the Globe:

BREAKING NEWS ALERT
Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh on Monday ordered a halt to construction projects in the city amid concerns about worker safety during the coronavirus pandemic.

Even as many other businesses around Boston have closed or ordered employees to work from home to try to stop the spread of the virus, large construction sites downtown were fully up and running Monday morning.

The busy construction sites and the multiple cranes soaring above the city’s skyline have been an emblem of the city’s bustling economy, now under stress due to the coronavirus.

^^^Uggghhhh just saw this. But, obviously this was going to happen. It was either on boston.com or bostonglobe.com where a writer referred to this as "The Great Pause." I think that's appropriate.

Last edited:
Weird timing - just saw this article this morning: "Although some countries have gone into total lockdown as a precaution and at least one major U.K. construction project has temporarily halted due to virus exposure, only one major jobsite in the U.S. so far, a university dormitory project in Snohomish County, Wash., has temporarily stopped work. That project suspended construction after a worker tested positive for COVID-19. The only other place where small projects may have stopped is in New Rochelle, a suburb of New York City, where movement is restricted. "

In San Francisco, the city has de facto closed construction sites through the first week in April. Only businesses allowed to be open are grocery stores, pharmacies, banks, gas stations. Restaurants open for take out only. Five other Bay area counties will issue similar restrictions: Santa Clara, San Mateo, Marin, Contra Costa and Alameda.

Has anyone heard anything about 60 kilmarnock in fenway? 443 apartments.

v01.jpg

3Gud1YdSFnMcmoQzwE9mhy5il3NXkiYOeRTiGfRNJY6OrQjsLyLwCyZAwQRFkZJOS19EqzvwfNvWeQVpJpYrTKxeYSVqfa_BkuoqbImQ1GjLK7tjnuoSMw

Its approved but I havent heard anything in a while. I know much is stopped now, but has there been any news before that?

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything about 60 kilmarnock in fenway? 443 apartments.

v01.jpg

3Gud1YdSFnMcmoQzwE9mhy5il3NXkiYOeRTiGfRNJY6OrQjsLyLwCyZAwQRFkZJOS19EqzvwfNvWeQVpJpYrTKxeYSVqfa_BkuoqbImQ1GjLK7tjnuoSMw

Its approved but I havent heard anything in a while. I know much is stopped now, but has there been any news before that?

If the slowing real estate market of the last few months didn’t kill it then it’s almost certainly dead now.

Anybody know what is going right in the middle of the parking lot at the VA in West Roxbury?

Anybody know what is going right in the middle of the parking lot at the VA in West Roxbury?
New parking garage.

Slightly more exciting is an addition to the existing Ambulatory Care Addition at the Jamaica Plain VA, though architecturally it will be broadly similar to what's there already. I've been on the fence as to if I should actually post here about it, it's not a huge building but if there's interest I can provide some updates.

Reactions: BMW
Any word on where 288 harrison ave (tai tung village expansion) in Chinatown was at before the shutdown? 85 affordable units paid for by the motor mart redev choosing to build their units off site. Itll be pretty cool to see this going up across the pike from the other buildings going up in the south end, as well as nearby in chinatown.

Before
288_Harrison_.png

After
288_harrison.png

Link

Add in 290 tremont and Chinatown will be starting to finally get some affordable units online
CNC-Parcel-12c-rendering.jpg

Back