🔹 What's Happening With Project X?

I didnt understand the lolipop reference because I dont remember that sculpture and thought one could construe the building's shape as pregnant but yea now that you mention it thats 100 federal I guess. Again, it doesnt matter much as fewer and fewer people see the building as significant in any way which is my point.

Per this blog, the lollipops installation was on-display from circa 1975-2000. Being at 100 Summer St. Plaza, obviously it wasn't too far away from 175 Fed...

Would you rip down the United Shoe Building and build a thousand foota?

No. Couldn't go over about 650' anyway but Boston doesn't have enough of these buildings to spare. 900'+ should go at the Hynes, Kings Parking Garage, and somewhere in Kendall. No historical demolitions needed or wanted.

Oh, you mean the uber-trendy food hall with the 1 million sf of office product appendaged to it?

[also, if you're going to use its historical moniker, at least get it right--United Shoe Machinery Corp. Building. ahem ;)]

Funny thing about proposing to demolish it--there actually was a dead-earnest proposal to do so, in the early 1980s. Enter a bunch of wild-eyed hysterical hopeless romantic sentimental NIMBY busybodies. They sure NIMBYed the hell out of that plan!

Which I guess means the moral of the story is: sometimes NIMBYs are exasperating; other times they are saviors; and it is certainly unwise to paint them with a reductivist brush that makes them uniformly evil. Sometimes *progress* is, in fact, appalling.

Per this blog, the lollipops installation was on-display from circa 1975-2000. Being at 100 Summer St. Plaza, obviously it wasn't too far away from 175 Fed...
If this is what you are refering to, it's current location is in Roxbury a couple of blocks from Nubian Sq.

Oh, you mean the uber-trendy food hall with the 1 million sf of office product appendaged to it?

[also, if you're going to use its historical moniker, at least get it right--United Shoe Machinery Corp. Building. ahem ;)]

Funny thing about proposing to demolish it--there actually was a dead-earnest proposal to do so, in the early 1980s. Enter a bunch of wild-eyed hysterical hopeless romantic sentimental NIMBY busybodies. They sure NIMBYed the hell out of that plan!

Which I guess means the moral of the story is: sometimes NIMBYs are exasperating; other times they are saviors; and it is certainly unwise to paint them with a reductivist brush that makes them uniformly evil. Sometimes *progress* is, in fact, appalling.
Thank you for agreeing. My point is that 175 Federal is just as significant as United Shoe. The two buildings represent two different boom times. They are interesting. They are part of how we got to where we are today instead of complete municipal collapse which was more than possible when both buildings were being built. 175 Federal was considered a bold stroke in its day and was something of a stand out in then the most modern part of the city. I think it is wonderful and so are the all the weird little mid-century almost skyscrapers huddled in that area.

Havent seen this before, did this actually open in march?

C02-edit-logo.jpg

“High Street Place: Rockpoint Group/Rockhill Management are renovating the lobby space that connects 100 High Street with 160 Federal Street to create High Street Place, a new food hall.”
“High Street Place will feature 22 separate food kiosks showcasing local vendors, with seating for 400. The venue is set to open in March 2022.”
https://www.downtownboston.org/doing-business-in-downtown-boston/development-and-construction/

Havent seen this before, did this actually open in march?

C02-edit-logo.jpg

“High Street Place: Rockpoint Group/Rockhill Management are renovating the lobby space that connects 100 High Street with 160 Federal Street to create High Street Place, a new food hall.”
“High Street Place will feature 22 separate food kiosks showcasing local vendors, with seating for 400. The venue is set to open in March 2022.”
https://www.downtownboston.org/doing-business-in-downtown-boston/development-and-construction/

Can confirm that the food hall has opened and the burger place is delicious

Shiny. Now render it on a cold, gray, February day with sand-filled snow banks on the sidewalks.

Shiny. Now render it on a cold, gray, February day with sand-filled snow banks on the sidewalks.
Why in the hell would anyone do/want that??? The same could be said for NY, Chicago, and many many other large cities.

Funny thing is my 1st reaction was to press the Thumbs Down button then it dawned on me that there's only a Thumbs Up button and there's never been a thumbs down button. Lol

Is this built over a tunnel or something? I have a hard time understanding why this parcel shouldn't be 40 floors of residential instead of 11.
I'm not one for massive height wherever, but a prime downtown parcel, with a nicely designed building, deserves to at least go 20-30 stories, not 11.

I'm not one for massive height wherever, but a prime downtown parcel, with a nicely designed building, deserves to at least go 20-30 stories, not 11.

I agree.

According to the BPDA Zoning Viewer, that parcel is part of the Wharf Street Restricted Growth Area, where zoning allows a maximum height of 100-120 feet.

wharf street restricted growth area.PNG

(source, page 7)

Seems to me like an extremely under-zoned area when taking the nearby skyscrapers and close proximity to transit into consideration.

Is this built over a tunnel or something? I have a hard time understanding why this parcel shouldn't be 40 floors of residential instead of 11.
I'm guessing the old "shadows on the Greenway" bugaboo.

Back