100 Pier 4 | 136-146 Northern Avenue | Seaport

Re: Pier 4 Residential Tower | 136-146 Northern Avenue | Seaport

looks cool going up though.

Why is white precast the fashion de jour? I'm perplexed. Anyone?

cca

Although it is early, I don't see the exterior looking any different or cheaper than the rendering. And no one has complained about the rendering too much on this one.

Why is white precast the fashion de jour? I'm perplexed. Anyone?

- It's cheap
- It looks "bright"*
- Everybody else is using it

I'm sure you could order a different style of precast, but if everybody else is using the same stuff, why bother?

Likewise, I don't know how much of a price difference there is between white or grey Alucobond and the more colorful stuff, but the way the former is shoehorned into pretty much every building suggests that architects view it as an integral part of the contemporary design language.

* One of the more annoying trends as of late. Take an interior / exterior, subtract all colors save for white and cite that as a feature.

Too bad ADD Inc. (the team behind MassArt and Channel Center) wasn't able to get the client jazzed up about using colors of any sort. But as far as developer-grade designs go this one doesn't seem bad, and I'm hoping that it'll actually look OK assuming they get at least a few details right.

Looks to be a stubbed version of the new Prudential residential tower.

Precast -- now with ribbing for extra pleasure!

lmao^

That precast stuff looks like those disposable white styrofoam coolers you can get at the supermarket. Those gaps look pretty bad as well.

It's the packing foam that the Avalon Exeter came in.

That precast stuff looks like those disposable white styrofoam coolers you can get at the supermarket. Those gaps look pretty bad as well.

The joints will most likely have a sealant that matches the precast to fill the gap.

It hasn't been detailed yet. (Adjusted into its final position.)

hBJzkob.jpg

jIh1NoR.jpg

IP is amazing piece of Architecture. Love it or hate it--it sure the most recognizable piece of real estate in the city.

IP is amazing piece of Architecture. Love it or hate it--it sure the most recognizable piece of real estate in the city.

I would put the Pru ahead of IP as recognizable.

DSC02054.jpg

I never could understand the hate that IP gets. Yeah, it's fun to bash later PoMo - but I never had a problem with the Palladian windows on the third, smaller piece, I think they look great and mix up the textures you see on the main towers. I also actually like the giant chessboard that sits on top of the Palladian windows segment. Whimsy that only the buildings' workers will see.

The Pru is more iconic though. Most Bostonians probably couldn't even name "International Place".

The paladians are purely an love/hate thing, but the street level is unarguably a disaster. The Palms is a nice addition though, and it'd be great if they could keep that going around the entire complex.

Back