101 Seaport Blvd (PwC) | Parcel L1@Seaport Sq. | Seaport

Eh. It just looks tacky. You don't see Apple doing that when they open a store that combines multiple storefronts.

I'd like some retail outlets around that aren't as filthy rich as Apple...

Eh. It just looks tacky. You don't see Apple doing that when they open a store that combines multiple storefronts.

OK, but Apple makes the most money per square foot of any retailer on the planet, so they are kind of the six sigma exception to most practical rules.

How does the cost of replacing a door with a glass panel compare to the cost of fitting out an entire retail space?

You also don't see any one else in the f-ing world build buildings with carbon fiber roofs ... so ... maybe a more apples to apples example is warranted.

See what I did there?

cca

Looks like all shops on the east side of the building are now open.

https://flic.kr/p/VDycUS

I don't think too many doors is really the problem here.

Something feels 'off' about this, and I can't put my finger on it. This doesnt look like an entrance to anything - the doors look too ... casual?.

Maybe its because there's no element projecting from the facade? Like either a 'doormat', or an awning, or something extending beyond the facade? Or is the 'weight' of the frame within the glass facade? Or the proportions of the door being inconsistent with the proportions of the facade 'bay' (ie if you had double doors of the same size, they'd form a rectangle of the same shape as the larger window area?)

Can someone with some proper architectural chops help me articulate why this facade and entrance looks / feels so off-key?

I recognize that this is a pretty common set-up on contemporary buildings ... but again, just looks wrong? It looks like the back door, and I think I'd find myself poking around looking for the front door before actually going in here...

I don't think too many doors is really the problem here.

Something feels 'off' about this, and I can't put my finger on it. This doesnt look like an entrance to anything - the doors look too ... casual?.

Maybe its because there's no element projecting from the facade? Like either a 'doormat', or an awning, or something extending beyond the facade? Or is the 'weight' of the frame within the glass facade? Or the proportions of the door being inconsistent with the proportions of the facade 'bay' (ie if you had double doors of the same size, they'd form a rectangle of the same shape as the larger window area?)

Can someone with some proper architectural chops help me articulate why this facade and entrance looks / feels so off-key?

I recognize that this is a pretty common set-up on contemporary buildings ... but again, just looks wrong?

You are right to feel this way. There is a basic human condition to want things to change every 15-20 seconds. When we are walking that means we want something different to engage in every 60 feet or so (at least). That is why malls are set up with storefronts close together and the "facades" vary. They are essentially mimicking the success of great retail streets like Newbury which does that is a very rich and very balanced way having both variation and uniformity at the same time.

Situations like this are common because there is a lack of humanism at play, simply economics. There is a "build it and they will come" mentality without caring about if anyone "wants" to be there. If Apple rents space people will come regardless of how deadening the architecture is.

Does that help at all?

cca

Ps Nice banner though. Right? (I have theory about banners ... I will share another day)

Thanks - thats part of it.

I think that in addition to the monotony though, there's something about the individual unit that feels disharmonious also.

Maybe its specifically the language of the door? for comparison - it's as if I put an anderson glass slider as the front door of my greek revival house....

Thanks - thats part of it.

I think that in addition to the monotony though, there's something about the individual unit that feels disharmonious also.

Maybe its specifically the language of the door? for comparison - it's as if I put an anderson glass slider as the front door of my greek revival house....

Double doors are more inviting ...that is for sure.

cca

Yeah right on - This was driving me nuts, so I threw together a .ppt rendering of what I 'think' it 'should' look like:

35778377215_e75eca99bd_c.jpg

Or maybe even:
35609117252_c60073c4a6_c.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good, I'd even go for more color (within the color scheme prescribed by the building docs) and movement, say a flag where the banner is or a much larger banner. Color and some movement attract attention and notice.

Back