101 Seaport Blvd (PwC) | Parcel L1@Seaport Sq. | Seaport

Re: 101 Seaport Blvd (PwC)/parcel L1@Seaport Sq./Seaport

Given the talk about scarcity of hotel rooms around the convention center and area in general, I am surprised they aren't building anything directly above the floorplate. Is it just too hard to support a vertical structure when you need the wide, flexible space of a convention hall? Seems a bit like a lost opportunity to park hundreds of hotel spots right on site.

I remember reading Southie neighbors were opposed to any sort of height on the W 1st end of the convention center. That's why it slopes upward toward Summer St.

Given the talk about scarcity of hotel rooms around the convention center and area in general, I am surprised they aren't building anything directly above the floorplate. Is it just too hard to support a vertical structure when you need the wide, flexible space of a convention hall? Seems a bit like a lost opportunity to park hundreds of hotel spots right on site.

The pancake of the BCEC is a waste of space that I will never come to terms with...

Could they, at least, cover the expansive roof with solar panels (or better yet, lease the space to a solar company to gain revenue)? That would have some redeeming quality rather than a complete waste...

Could they, at least, cover the expansive roof with solar panels (or better yet, lease the space to a solar company to gain revenue)? That would have some redeeming quality rather than a complete waste...

I can't imagine why they have not done that yet......except for the fact that the MCCA is populated by 1950's mentality, flatfooted hacks.

The folks inside on rainy or snowy days might disagree with the roof being a complete waste.

See the below link for the Solar roof discussion.

http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?p=151136#post151136

Im liking this building/ the new bcec expansion, only thing I think thats hideous is whatever that thing is blocking waterside place, that looks pretty rough.

The folks inside on rainy or snowy days might disagree with the roof being a complete waste.

See the below link for the Solar roof discussion.

http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?p=151136#post151136

Your pdf is no longer available on the internets.

The other link, the magazine story was 4 years old. Solar panels have become far more efficient and cheap in the past 4 years:

http://costofsolar.com/solar-panel-prices-down-due-to-solar-panel-technological-advancements/

Breaking efficiency records every year and the costs per watt keep falling. Right in Cambridge there are billions of dollars going into nanotechnology which will fuel advances in this (among other fields) for years.

Gretzky; 'The other slobs skate to the puck, they don't know enough to skate to where the puck will be.'

Your pdf is no longer available on the internets.

The other link, the magazine story was 4 years old. Solar panels have become far more efficient and cheap in the past 4 years:

http://costofsolar.com/solar-panel-prices-down-due-to-solar-panel-technological-advancements/

Breaking efficiency records every year and the costs per watt keep falling. Right in Cambridge there are billions of dollars going into nanotechnology which will fuel advances in this (among other fields) for years.

Gretzky; 'The other slobs skate to the puck, they don't know enough to skate to where the puck will be.'

Yeah, I meant to just link the discussion. But, no commercially available PV panels have not improved markedly in that span. The efficiency on available products (standard) may have increased by a percentage point or two. (Maybe the LA concenvtion center could get 11% of its power instead of 10% if they replaced them all, sounds worth it). Custom units, or integral type panels (say as part of the roof skin or solar glass) are going to be infinitely more expensive and less efficient.

I agree the technology is getting better, but the cost to produce commercial products with these higher efficiencies is not in any deck of cards available today. What's produced in the lab today, we'll be lucky to buy in a decade.

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/solar/pdfs/47927_chapter4.pdf

See page 83 for a good breakdown of theoretical vs. lab results vs. actual production model efficiencies.

The link is two years old now, but shows, not much has changed since I wrote a thesis including PV's. The effiency of commercial products in 2007 was roughly 14%. Everything I can find on the "most popular" commercially available products list efficiencies from 12 - 17%. Meaning, not much has changed. The price has steadily dropped however, so that's a step in the right direction.

http://sroeco.com/solar/most-efficient-solar-panels

The link is two years old now, but shows, not much has changed since I wrote a thesis including PV's. The effiency of commercial products in 2007 was roughly 14%. Everything I can find on the "most popular" commercially available products list efficiencies from 12 - 17%. Meaning, not much has changed. The price has steadily dropped however, so that's a step in the right direction.

Not to get too off-topic here, but price per watt is all that matters here. Efficiency can stay constant forever, but as long as price drops (and it has, dramatically) solar will become more and more practical. There's a reason that installed solar capacity is growing exponentially. These numbers (which come for a trade association, I concede) speak for themselves: http://www.seia.org/news/new-report-us-solar-market-grows-41-has-record-year-2013. And growth has continued to accelerate so far in 2014...

Not to get too off-topic here, but price per watt is all that matters here. Efficiency can stay constant forever, but as long as price drops (and it has, dramatically) solar will become more and more practical. There's a reason that installed solar capacity is growing exponentially. These numbers (which come for a trade association, I concede) speak for themselves: http://www.seia.org/news/new-report-us-solar-market-grows-41-has-record-year-2013. And growth has continued to accelerate so far in 2014...

Tru-ish. Efficiency is tied to spacial requirements. We do not have limitless places to put these things. To get anything out of them besides a pat on the back, or a grant (yes important), you need to put in a lot of them. OK, done with my part of the derailment.

I think the original plan for the BCEC was to cover the roof with solar panels, but it was dropped for cost-cutting reasons. However, it might just have been a bit of greenwashing for a potential white elephant.

A few from this weekend.

Almost to the top of the podium:

This one really is in the departure path from Logan:

14247186917_fbf69d6456_b.jpg

14430270541_f62b51fb59_b.jpg

14247010770_5d5d8261fe_b.jpg

I think the original plan for the BCEC was to cover the roof with solar panels, but it was dropped for cost-cutting reasons. However, it might just have been a bit of greenwashing for a potential white elephant.
IIRC, the original plan called for a stainless steel roof. This of course got VE'd out as prices spiraled out of control.

14353937788_bca7632399_b.jpg

14539552012_22635b5509_b.jpg

14353910798_2c0c7218de_b.jpg

14517330966_678de6a00b_b.jpg

14353976397_67bf91afc0_b.jpg

14539458372_661598c197_b.jpg

14353758840_49c01b73a7_b.jpg

14537006281_dc0335f3ab_b.jpg

14517264826_f58dc24082_b.jpg

14539372752_10eb6a4e3f_b.jpg

14353869447_9d057c398a_b.jpg

Wow lotta great pics of that one. Thanks kz!

From this weekend:
IuRgTAu.jpg

Back