11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

I'm not following. If Wu "owns them," then how/why does she consider them the enemy?
I don't think she necessarily understands how she's changed the dynamic. I appreciate the idea of making the planning department more accountable to city council. But it's always been the Mayors fiefdom--so when the mayor wants something (say no development in reedville or all the signs on top of buildings) it happens and everyone assumes that the BPDA had the idea.

Now that the department is part of the usual city structure, it's decisions and actions reflect directly on the Mayor. So when she wants to do something (white stadium) she can't hide behind the big bad BRA.

Maybe she does know that but from people I know working for the city it doesn't seem like it.

That said, I don't think the public perception will change. There was an article in the Globe today full of community activists comments where they clearly think that the BRA is some kind of rogue agency that does whatever it wants. It's hard to understand how a city government would allow that.

I don't think she necessarily understands how she's changed the dynamic. I appreciate the idea of making the planning department more accountable to city council. But it's always been the Mayors fiefdom--so when the mayor wants something (say no development in reedville or all the signs on top of buildings) it happens and everyone assumes that the BPDA had the idea.

Now that the department is part of the usual city structure, it's decisions and actions reflect directly on the Mayor. So when she wants to do something (white stadium) she can't hide behind the big bad BRA.

Maybe she does know that but from people I know working for the city it doesn't seem like it.
Yes, I think Wu understands everything you're describing. In her report on the BPDA from when she was councilwoman, the second sentence reads "The BPDA gives concentrated control over development to the Mayor of Boston with little to no accountability." She explains that in detail over the next 70 pages, describing the BPDA as a rubber stamp for whatever the mayor wants, which also obscures that decision making from the residents of Boston. She understands all that. That's exactly what she is trying to change.

Maybe she does know that but from people I know working for the city it doesn't seem like it
I'm pretty sure she does in fact know this, because it's the same arrangement she called for as a member of the city council. This is the mayor as an advocate for good governance, not evidence that she is confused about how to user her power.

Back