11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

Based on that map, Chiaforo's tower where the fugly parking lot near the Aquarium is really will never happen.

Based on that map, Chiaforo's tower where the fugly parking lot near the Aquarium is really will never happen.

Chiofaro's tower isn't on the map at all. That's the Aquarium T stop. The tower would be to the right of the greenway.

I suspect the whole district was created expressly to forbid it. Chiofaro hasn't made a lot of friends and the Harbor Towers residents are probably generous donors.

I suspect the whole district was created expressly to forbid it. Chiofaro hasn't made a lot of friends and the Harbor Towers residents are probably generous donors.

I see your logic, but I would guess it's not that. Rather, isn't the whole concept of waterfront zoning under review at the commonwealth level due to the state's recent booting of the City's waterfront plan back to the drawing board? It seems it was simply necessary to exclude that currently-under-debate region from the map.

I still don't understand why the city or state would turn down private development money to help mitigate flooding issues especially the aquarium. The proposals for the towers had a lot of money earmarked for flood mitigation efforts.

I still don't understand why the city or state would turn down private development money to help mitigate flooding issues especially the aquarium. The proposals for the towers had a lot of money earmarked for flood mitigation efforts.
Neither the City nor the Commonwealth has turned down the development monies. The development is stalled waiting for a do-over of the "Downtown Waterfront Municipal Harbor Plan", as mandated by the SJC.

From 2022
"The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ruled earlier this month that the Downtown Waterfront Municipal Harbor Plan that was approved by both the Walsh administration and the state in 2018 did not follow state law...."

Why don't these asshats let Chiofaro build his damn building already? It's by far the best tower in waiting. This is just pure spite - the BPA scumbags discredit themselves by doing this.
It's not the BPDA, it's the mayor that destroyed it with a huge assist by nimby lawsuits from the CLF.

'Skyline-LOW District" seems like a bit of a misnomer.

For wrestling fans of the 70's and 80's??????
1713099712115.png

It's not the BPDA, it's the mayor that destroyed it with a huge assist by nimby lawsuits from the CLF.
I'll grant you CLF, for having brought the lawsuit that resulted in the SJC killing it. But what was the mayor's role in this?

I'll grant you CLF, for having brought the lawsuit that resulted in the SJC killing it. But what was the mayor's role in this?
She opposed the Waterfont Plan during the campaign, but all of the candidates did.

This is way off-topic for the Bromfield thread, but I think we need to acknowledge that no one wants the Chiofaro tower but Chiofaro and archBoston.

...I think we need to acknowledge that no one wants the Chiofaro tower but Chiofaro and archBoston.

Everybody I showed this project to thought it looked awesome. I meet or talk to a lot of people who are not necessarily passionate about this stuff, but view it very favorably when they actually see the finished projects in real life. I think most people overall have a positive view of a well-designed highrise or skyscraper, they just don't happen to be the vocal ones who show up at meetings or comment on articles.

I meet a lot of random people at the views I go to and pretty much none of them had ever heard of archboston, but pretty much all of them would like to see this (or any) tall, well designed tower added to our city (assuming no net negatives on the ground level experience).

There was an easy way to resubmit the waterfront plan, but she refrained from doing so, with some nice nimby language.

Why don't these asshats let Chiofaro build his damn building already? It's by far the best tower in waiting. This is just pure spite - the BPA scumbags discredit themselves by doing this.
A super important thing to understand about Boston is that the BRA, BPDA do what the mayor tells them to. Period. Part of the role has always been to take the blame for decisions the Mayor made.

Mayor Wu never understood this and views the now Planning Department as the enemy. But she also owns them now in a way that no mayor in the past has.

A super important thing to understand about Boston is that the BRA, BPDA do what the mayor tells them to. Period. Part of the role has always been to take the blame for decisions the Mayor made.

Mayor Wu never understood this and views the now Planning Department as the enemy. But she also owns them now in a way that no mayor in the past has.

I'm not following. If Wu "owns them," then how/why does she consider them the enemy?

Back