11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

Re: 28-story tower planned for Downtown Crossing

So they must be going all the way to the Wendy's.

I wonder how much of the original facades are still under all that tin and plastic on those four buildings.

Also, I wonder if this new building will be mentioned in the sales pitches for the units in 45 Province St that will be affected?

Lets play!

jumptoconclusionsmat.png

Don't ask don't tell would be the response from the sales team at 45 Province, no doubt.

Regarding the "Wendy's" building, wonder if the financing has been secured ... didn't we all read a couple weeks ago that the Filene's building was, in fact, on hold, since it hadn't found any tenants?

The Niesener's facade is still there behind the Wendy's sign. You can observe the return of the cornice into the alley between it and the neighboring building. Given how bland the buildings are, the size of proposed tower, and the scale of the surrounding lots (even the historic ones) starting from scratch here doesn't seem to be a big deal. I just wish the box, including the dreaded CVS, across the street would be replaced with a new tower as well.

In a 'pick-your-fights' sense, these facades don't really seem worth saving. I am going to miss that martial arts store, although I've never been inside.

Updated Boston.com article:

New Downtown Crossing development proposed

July 8, 2008 12:19 PM

A New York developer plans to build a $200 million housing-retail development in Downtown Crossing, a key milestone in the city?s effort to revitalize the central shopping district, Mayor Thomas M. Menino said today.

Midwood Management Corp. said it plans to build 200 luxury apartments, in addition to three floors of retail space at the corner of Bromfield and Washington streets, where it has acquired several buildings.

The development would replace buildings that are currently home to several stores, including Payless ShoeSource and City Sports.

The company, which is expected to file formal plans for the 28-story building with the Boston Redevelopment Authority this week, said it hopes to begin construction in 2010.

"We believe rental housing has a role in downtown Boston's continuing growth," said Paul Davis, a senior vice president of privately owned Midwood Management. "We looked at condos, but we think rental housing is more appropriate for us."

Menino used the news to highlight the stream of development projects underway in Boston. He said that there are $4 billion in projects under way.

"Despite the national economic (slowdown), Boston's economy is strong," Menino said.

Midwood Management, which generally keeps a low profile, owns 100 properties with more than 3.5 million square feet nationwide, but the development would be the firm's first for the Boston area.

Midwood Management normally retains properties that it develops, rather than selling them to other investors, and it plans to do the same with the project proposed for Downtown Crossing.

Davis, the Midwood Management executive, said that the firm hopes to work with several tenants, including City Sports and the Bromfield Pen Shop, to accommodate them in the new building, which is expected to have 60,000 square feet allocated to retail space.

"We will try to accommodate tenants if we can," Davis said. "There will be new tenants and there will be relocation of tenants."
(By Todd Wallack, Globe staff)

I think it is a good thing that the plan to retain the property after they build. I would assume that it would give them more of an incentive to use quality materials. But people with more experience with real estate might know differently?

I think the few people who have complained about the high of this proposal are pretty short sighted. In relation to the current economy, it's a great sign that development is still proceeding in Boston. Whenever the economy begins to recover, these small-to-medium sized developments will fuel more major developments downtown. This can only be a good sign.

Plus, look at the impact 45 Providence has already had on the area. Just because it's not giant doesn't mean it's insignificant.

Bromfield Street is one of the more interesting retail streets in the city. The stores are quirky. Like Cornhill, etc. pre-Government Center. Anyway, here are 2 recycled photos from May, the first showing the corner, and the second showing the 45 Province view that will be "blocked".

L1070945-1.jpg

L1080072.jpg

This is good news. I really don't think that there should be too much turmoil for this project, given that it neighbors Franklin Tower and 45 Province. Like everyone else said, I just hope we don't get a mediocre box. I think a nice, sleek glass tower would look nice here. I am really happy with a lot of this development in the DTX area, a lot of these new towers will help to fill the skyscraper gap between the financial district and the back bay. If only something was happening at Kensington Place...

Aesthetically, this project would ideal if it replaced just one of the buildings being discussed. But economically, that would be impossible. :(

This project is a no go. Look at the proximity to 45 Province St. The residents are definitely going to complain about their views being blocked.

Can't go too high. too many shadows on sunny downtown crossing

I can't sort sarcasm from concern anymore it seems, but this building would shade the tops of buildings along the H&M block of washington street for about an hour a day around the summer solstice, that's it.

Province Street, on the other hand, would be a perma-cave

As general rule, whenever someone on this forum complains about shadows they are being fictitious.

Province Street is already pretty much a cave anyway.

I'll miss the view from Marliave's though.

^^ Is it possible to be nostalgic for a time in which you weren't even alive?

(Only in terms of built environment, mind you)

Edit: BTW, the Globe story has been the main story on Boston.com all day. When was the last time the Globe cared this much about a development proposal?

^^ Is it possible to be nostalgic for a time in which you weren't even alive?

(Only in terms of built environment, mind you)

Edit: BTW, the Globe story has been the main story on Boston.com all day. When was the last time the Globe cared this much about a development proposal?

Glad you qualified that statement!! My parents used to talk about how they'd go hang out near the local dentist's office when they were kids to hear the people screaming! (late 20's, early 1930's). Not a lot of local novacaine/gas being used when a tooth was being pulled back then I guess. Frankly, even with the built up environment we have today, I'm glad I'm living now!!

The Herald weighs in:

Downtown gets $200M project
Menino touts plan
By Donna Goodison | Wednesday, July 9, 2008 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Business & Markets

Another corner of Downtown Crossing is getting a face-lift.

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino yesterday announced that New York developer Midwood Management Corp. is expected to soon file plans for a $200 million, 28-story retail and residential project on the corner of Bromfield and Washington streets.

Midwood?s proposed 436,000-square-foot development would include 260 luxury rental housing units on 23 floors, three floors of retail space and three floors of parking. The project would replace buildings on both streets that Midwood has bought over the last decade, according to Paul Davis, senior vice president of Midwood.

?We believe that Downtown Crossing, in the heart of Boston, is a very vibrant area, and we want to continue to be a part of it,? Davis said. ?We?ve been working with the (Boston) Redevelopment Authority and our architect, Elkus Manfredi, for about nine months on the development, and I think everyone believes this is the appropriate development in size and use for this location in the city.?

The project?s announcement came as excavators yesterday dug up a portion of the former Filene?s building block diagonally across the street to make way for the $650 million One Franklin development by Vornado Realty Trust and Gale International. The 39-story project, which will feature a hotel, condos, offices and retail space - and a revamped Filene?s Basement - is being touted as the centerpiece of city efforts to revitalize the struggling neighborhood and brand it as ?Boston?s meeting place.?

Midwood hopes to break ground on its project in early 2010. It wants to demolish the existing buildings at the proposed development site, which would stretch from the Wendy?s restaurant on Washington Street and wrap around Bromfield Street up to City Sports. Other current businesses in those buildings include Payless ShoeSource, Children?s Place and Boston Discount Jewelers on Washington Street, and Bromfield Pen Shop on Bromfield Street.

Midwood will work with the retailers to see if it can continue as their landlord in the new building?s 60,000 square feet of retail space, according to Davis.

A private, family-owned business in existence for more than 80 years, Midwood owns more than 100 properties nationwide totaling more than 3.5 million square feet.

?We?re investors in properties,? Davis said. ?We really rarely sell (them).?

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1105863

Elkus Manfredi

This could go either way. 33 Arch and the Intercontinental Hotel aren't the most incredible buildings but they are far from terrible.

The final piece in today's Globe:

High-rise proposed at Downtown Crossing
Retail, housing units may boost shopping district

By Todd Wallack, Globe Staff | July 9, 2008

A New York developer is proposing to build a $200 million retail and housing development in Downtown Crossing, a milestone in Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino's effort to revitalize the city's central shopping district.

Midwood Management Corp. wants permission to raze several buildings at the northern corner of Bromfield and Washington streets, and replace them with a 28-story building that will include 260 units of luxury apartment units, three floors of retail space, and three floors of underground parking, according to city officials.

The existing buildings are currently home to a number of stores, including Payless ShoeSource, Wendy's, CitySports, and the Bromfield Pen Shop.

The location is on a diagonal from the Filene's block, where a development team led by John B. Hynes III has received city approval to build a massive retail, hotel, and office complex above the historic department store.

Midwood is expected to file formal plans with the Boston Redevelopment Authority later this week and hopes to begin construc tion in 2010.

"We believe rental housing has a role in downtown Boston's continuing growth," said Paul Davis, a Midwood senior vice president. "We looked at condos, but we think rental housing is more appropriate for us."

Menino disclosed the Midwood project at the start of a five-hour tour of Downtown Crossing and other city commercial districts that he led to interest real estate developers and retailers in Boston. Midwood, he said, is the latest in a stream of development projects planned for Boston - some 60 altogether worth about $4 billion in new investment.

"Despite the national economic [slowdown], Boston's economy is strong," Menino said. The tour was timed to coincide with a regional trade show for retailers, developers, and real estate brokers being held in the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center today and tomorrow.

The Midwood development is the latest in a buzz of development to hit Downtown Crossing. The city estimated there are 2,900 residential units in the neighborhood, with 1,350 more under construction, including college dorms. Indeed, Menino kicked off his walking tour of Downtown Crossing at the Hayward Place parking lot on Washington Street, where a $200 million, 14-story residential and retail building is planned. Closer to Millwood's location is 45 Province Street, an ultra-luxe condominium tower now under construction and slated to open in 2009. Hynes is currently lining up funding and tenants for the office, hotel, and retail complex across the street at Washington and Franklin streets. Down Washington Street, Emerson College is embarking on an $80 million renovation and addition to the Paramount Theater that will include a 262-bed dormitory, black box theater, and class-related facilities.

"I think Downtown Crossing is on the verge of greatness," said Lisa Campoli, executive vice president for commercial real estate brokerage Colliers Meredith & Grew in Boston. But Campoli said it's unclear how many of the proposals will become reality because tightening credit markets have made it difficult for some developers to finance construction.

"It's a question of capital," she said. "I think if half the projects went through, it would be in great shape. There is so much potential there."

The city has announced a number of initiatives to help spruce up the neighborhood, including lighting, sidewalk repair, and solar-powered trash cans.

Midwood is generally a low-profile firm with a long history. It owns 100 properties spanning more than 3.5 million square feet nationwide, including in New York and Philadelphia. This would be its only development in the Boston area.

Based on New York's Park Avenue, Midwood owns or operates properties in at least six states, ranging from upscale apartments to suburban shopping centers with tenants such as Stop & Shop, TGI Friday's, Home Depot, and Walgreens.

The company was founded roughly 80 years ago by Samuel Lemberg, an important early donor to Brandeis University in Waltham. An academic building on campus is named for him. Current Midwood president John Usdan, Lemberg's grandson, is a Brandeis trustee.

Davis, the company executive, said Midwood normally keeps properties it develops, rather than selling them to investors, and plans to do the same with the Downtown Crossing development.

In addition, Davis said Midwood hopes to work with several existing tenants, including CitySports and the Bromfield Pen Shop, to accommodate them in the new building. The new building will have 60,000 square feet of retail space.

"There will be new tenants, and there will be relocation of tenants," Davis said.

The city said it will try to assist any stores that are forced to move.

Mike Kennedy, cofounder and chief executive of CitySports, said he wasn't surprised by the announcement, because he knew Midwood had acquired the buildings. He said CitySports has been in Downtown Crossing for about 15 years and plans to remain there for the long term - either in the new building or nearby.

"There's plenty of time to work it all out. If it doesn't work out for us" to stay, Kennedy said, "we'll find something else."

Other businesses located there could not be reached for comment.

I realize this isn't how real estate works, but it still bugs me that we have two ugly garages on Washington St that are begging to be replaced and yet we are going to demolish six perfectly redeemable buildings.

Back