11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

Re: 28-story tower planned for Downtown Crossing

Huh... what? Oh. Ok. I'll go outside and look.

L1090176.jpg

L1090177.jpg

L1090182.jpg

L1090179.jpg

L1090180.jpg

Ron and some others seemed interested in the martial arts store around the corner. Run by a very nice chap. Get your Michelle Yeoh videos here. Might be a few accessories for B.O. and others who are intimidated by the patrons of "Down X" (or whatever the Mayor is calling it now.)

L1090184.jpg

L1090185.jpg

L1090186.jpg

L1090187.jpg

L1090188.jpg

The door to the third floor wouldn't budge, no matter how hard I kicked it. Here is what was written on the door. "Casting Room"? Former groupies, perhaps.

L1090190.jpg

Thanks Toby. Good dog!

Though the loss of Payless and the jewelery store are certainly no biggie (a plus in my book) The barber shop and video store have kind of a quirky, urban grittyness that I like.

Oh well, that's progress and they will be there for a few more years at least.

The jewlery cooperative strikes me as fine "urban grit" too, especially if it's subdivided into 20+ stalls.

Woof!

L10707352-1-1.jpg

The jewlery cooperative strikes me as fine "urban grit" too, especially if it's subdivided into 20+ stalls.
It would be if there weren't already 30 of them squeezed into Downtown Crossing. One or two is quirky grit. A dozen or more is blight.

I wish I knew that barbershop was there

I was in a place near Downtown Crossing that had 20+ stalls once, in the early '80s.

Ha! Its now a Penang, I think!

I wish I knew that barbershop was there

Your not missing much from a haircut point of view. I went in there once ... just once ... in the mid 1990's to get a haircut. A woman who closely resembled Gilda Radner, aka Rosanne Roseannadanna, cut my hair. Worst haircut I had that decade hands down. She was chomping on her gum so vigoursly I thought it was going to fall right into my hair at any moment. A mildly amusing moment occurred while there - a homeless guy wandered in, she gave him a dollar and he proceeded to sweep up all the hair on the floor. She went on to explain that she often has homeless help out here and there.

I'm pretty sure that type of scene will not exist in the new building.

Also don't write off the Children's Place and Wendy's buildings so quick. We don't know what is under those cheesy facades.

I think post #34 by PaulC in this thread shows what may be under these facades.

Also Charles56ofBoston's Department store blog describes visits to this building as well:

http://shoppingdaysinretroboston.blogspot.com/

Quoting from Charles56of Boston's blog (hope you don't mind Charles):
"We would end our trip with iced teas at Neisner?s wonderful lunch counter located on the Bromfield Street side of the store. If iced tea was not in season, I had a Raspberry Lime Ricky instead. All the sodas back then were made with syrup and tasted great!
Neisner?s was a large Woolworth?s type of store built in an ?L? shape with large main doors on both Washington and Bromfield Streets. I loved to look at the toys located in the basement of Neisner?s. Neisner?s was a chain store
like Grants and Kresge?s but I liked it the best of all.

** The mid 1970?s marked the end to most of these 5 and 10 type stores in the downtown area.
Neisner?s held on until about 1977 when Wendy?s Hamburgers took the Washington Street side over.
The Bromfield Street side became Sherman?s
Electrical Supply."

I think Neisners included the Wendy's, Children's Place and City Sports buildings. Thus the Art Deco appearance in PaulC's posted photo which would be similar to City Sports.

See DowntownDave's picture of the Folio development in the Rose Kennedy Greenway thread and how the development left a very small pre-existing building in place:

Greenway-5084.jpg

I wish they would do the same with the Payless Shoesource store building in Downtown Crossing as shown in Tobyjug's pic below. Not very likely to happen.

I think many of DTX buildings are amazing looking and very worth preserving but this is one building that I believe should not be saved. Compared to the others down the street, this one is plain-looking.

It does seem as if this building's original cornice was removed, probably back in the bad times for this area:

Payless.jpg

Developer files plan for Downtown Crossing tower
Boston Business Journal - by Michelle Hillman

New York-based Midwood Management Corp. is moving forward with its plan to build a 28-story tower in Boston?s Downtown Crossing neighborhood.

In a project first announced this summer by Mayor Thomas M. Menino, Midwood plans to tear down four buildings and replace the corner with a 407,000-square-foot tower. The tower will include: 49,000 square feet of retail space in the basement and first and second floors; 192 parking spaces on the next three floors; 276 residential units as well as amenities and a lobby for residents.

The proposed tower is located at the corner of Washington and Bromfield Streets and is adjacent to the redevelopment of the former Filene?s site. Demolition of the four existing buildings ? where the current Payless Shoes is located ? is expected to begin in March of 2010. Construction is expected to last 30 months, according to the filing with the Boston Redevelopment Authority. The project is expected to cost $200 million to develop.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2008/11/03/daily10.html

Tower plan filed: $200M downtown complex eyed
By Thomas Grillo |Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Despite a credit crunch that has crippled development nationwide, a New York-based developer is bullish on plans for a $200 million residential and retail project in Downtown Crossing.

?If there ever was a time to launch a new development, it?s at the down point,? said David Begelfer, chief executive of the Massachusetts chapter of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties. ?If you come in at the bottom, the chance that you?ll still be at the bottom by construction time is very unlikely.?

Midwood Management Corp. filed plans yesterday with the Boston Redevelopment Authority to demolish four stores at Washington and Bromfield streets and replace them with a 28-story tower. If approved, the development will include six floors of retail totaling 49,200 square feet and 276 residential units on the upper levels. Construction is expected to start in 2010.

?It?s very exciting bringing new residential and retail development to the Downtown Crossing,? said Rosemarie Sansone, president of the Downtown Crossing Association.

The project would be across the street from One Franklin - the $700 million redevelopment of the former Filene?s building, where the developers are still searching for the final $50 million in financing. The 39-story, mixed-use One Franklin project is expected to bring 300,000 square feet of retail, 166 condominiums, a 280-room hotel and 475,000 square feet of office space.
http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...town_complex_eyed/srvc=business&position=also

Grillo now writes for the Herald?

Great another giant hole in the ground in DTX.

Flash forward two years,

"Gosh, but we were just positive the recession would be over by now and people would be throwing money at us. Guess we were wrong. Sorry about the mess. Toodles!"

I think the developers are right. This is the time we start to build so that when completed, it will be right at the middle of an economic boom (or a better economic time). Haven't we complain about how developers build only to finish when the economics boom is over or how developers miss their chance when they could have built it earlier to be completed at the best possible time? Now we are just hypocritical aren't we?

I hope you are right and I'm wrong. I'm just feeling really burned by the Filene's mess right now. We'll see...

I hope you are right and I'm wrong. I'm just feeling really burned by the Filene's mess right now. We'll see...

If in a year Filene's is still a iant hole in the ground then I'll feel angry. The developers are taking a giant risk here but given how long it will take to build both towers it is a calculated one that may pay off. Or the country will go into another depression, who knows.

Back