11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

Re: 28-story tower planned for Downtown Crossing

do we have any renderings of this planned building? who is the architect? or is it still being sought out?

I look at the Payless Shoe building and say, "this is nothing special, just a typical background building, but will its replacement really be an improvement?"

^^ You're a smart fellow, Ron. You know the answer to that question.

I got this email today
there will be a public meeting tonight to discuss the proposed development at the corner of Bromfield Street and Washington Street. It will be held at the BRA Boardroom on the 9th Floor of City Hall from 6:30-7:30pm.

The proposed project is a 28 story building consisting of a 6 story base with retail and parking and a 22-story rental condo tower above. Thank you.

I'm almost afraid to post this, but i'd like to see them keep the facades of the lower building, the higher corner building can go, and build a higher building instead. The lower buildings would help prevent the 'canyonization' of this block and they add character and history as well. However i admit this is not in the same league as the Shreve Crump & Low.

What needs protecting on this block isn't the lack of "canyonization," it's the vibrancy and diversity of the facades. Downtown Crossing is lively partially because it looks lively, with as many storefronts crammed onto a block as possible. Larger developments deaden this effect. Textbook Jacobs.

^ True. "Canyonization" is not always a bad thing. At least this project will infuse the area with more density. Although I would like to see the base resemble at least four different buildings, at a mere six stories, it will lend solidity to the area, not canyonization.

I forgot about the 6 story base. I

f you look at the Penny Savings Bank on Washington St in the South End the new addition was placed at a different angle from the bank building so as not to overwhelm or distract from the original. Coming up Washington St it's pretty much invisible and that was intentional.

...the Penny Savings Bank on Washington St in the South End, the new addition was placed at a different angle from the bank building so as not to overwhelm or distract from the original. Coming up Washington St it's pretty much invisible and that was intentional.

img6226go2.jpg

Originally posted by kz here. Ablarc and I made some barbed comments about this project.

I still think the exterior is a bit absurd, but I had dinner at Banq a few weeks back. The interior is stunning, and the food doesn't suck.

The building is designed by Elkus/Manfredi.
The height is 350' to the top of mechanicals.
Here are a few images;

onebromfield2ce6.png

onebromfielddu6.png

onebromfield3oz3.png

onebromfield4ii9.png

onebromfield5fj7.png

ZZZZzzzzZZZZzzzzZZzzzZzZzzZz............

The base, street level works for me but that tower is pretty boring. Looks like a really watered down version of the JFK Federal Building in GC (which is not a building you really want to emulate).

Wow that is terrible. Another great design for Boston....

the important question....

how will this effect the view of 45 Province? which is a very nice building imo....

I am sure that this was a major issue for all parties involved but with Province St. being essentially a one-sided building I would be pissed if I signed the papers on an apartment there and then learn afterwards that a 28 story tower is going to be build 100 feet away

It looks designed with the assumption nothing tall will be built next to it...

Needs to be thinner and a few more setbacks

Awesome....Boston will finally be getting a Bandana Republic!

I, for one, like it. Although its massing is too reminiscent of the W.

I'm starting to question whether the blocks directly adjacent to Washington St. are appropriate sites for high-rises... Downtown Crossing seems likes an area where increased winds and shadows actually would be detrimental to the potential lively pedestrian district everyone's hoping for. Has anyone else considered this?

(I hope I'm not turning into a NIMBY!)

At least they account for visual diversity at the base (though it's nothing compared to the four buildings there now).

Still, my bet: this winds up an unresolved hole in the ground.

What I want to know is how is this advancing at all? Is the rental market so strong that it can get lenders to open their otherwise shut pockets?

Back