11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

Re: 28-story tower planned for Downtown Crossing

With the base so aesthetically disconnected with the rest of the tower's design, there's really no reason why some of the nicer facades cannot be preserved.

They will probably argue expense. Facadectomies like Russia Wharf are far more complicated projects.

kz, I think the only reason they're moving forward at all is speculation that the economy will have bounced back by the time they reach completion.

Re: Wind, shadows

Downtown crossing needs to be built like the pru. Cover the street with glass and make it indoors, but open 24/7. Its the only way you get people to be there all year long.

RE: market
Maybe the developers realize how long it takes to get stuff done here, and hope by the time they get final approval in 2010-11, credit will be easier to get. By the time its done in 2012-14, there will be buyers

Re: Wind, shadows
Downtown crossing needs to be built like the pru. Cover the street with glass and make it indoors, but open 24/7. Its the only way you get people to be there all year long.

I actually think that this would be an interesting idea. It would make the place much nicer in the winter.

Are you thinking of something like this, van?
2577278722_62b58d3bc4_b.jpg

Osaka, April 2006

And wouldn't it be swell if Downtown Crossing had this sort of energy?
2577285748_710dbbe610_b.jpg

Shibuya, April 2006

And don't forget Fort Point Channel.
2576447509_ee0fa10656_b.jpg

Osaka, April 2006

Boston and the metro area doesn't have anywhere near Osaka's population. But we see that there is great bustle downtown extending to Fanueil Hall during the middle of the day...and weather permitting.

Nighttime though I doubt we will ever see DTX resemble that Osaka pic.

I hope they brighten it up though and add some neon lights and lit billboards.

The night shot is from Tokyo, but your point is well taken. Kyoto, Boston's sister-city, may be a better example. My urban Kyoto photos haven't made it to Flickr yet.

I don't know how to post photos...but here's an example from my trip to Kyoto, showing a street that was turned pedestrian and had a roof added to enclose it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/snarl71/KyotoAndOsakaJapan#5216274224708431410

This street is narrower than Washington Street in Downtown Crossing, and was taken at night...I'm assuming by day light comes through the ceiling and makes it feel less "mall-like."

Downtown Crossing should be wide enough that it would feel more open, I'd think.

^ Exactly!

The canopy is glazed, the lighting is uniform, the space is astonishingly clean for the amount of foot-traffic.

(great pics!)

I'd love the glass roof in February but would hate it in June. Is it retractable?

Exactly what I'm thinking of.

I'd love the glass roof in February but would hate it in June. Is it retractable?

I don't believe the roofs are retractable, Ron. The costs associated with maintaining the mechanics of a "rolling roof" in Boston (or Kyoto/Osaka for that matter) would likely be pretty high. That said, these shopping "corridors" are open at the ends, with ample ventilation so that they're not oppressively warm. Also note, the covered streets I visited in Kyoto and Osaka are completely closed vehicles. And they're active deep into the night, all four seasons.

that pic sort of reminded me of Faneuil hall

Neon: the stained glass of our era.

It seems high enough to work in the summer.

Add a few extractor fans and youre gold.

Depends what you mean by 'work'. In the summer time I would prefer to be outdoors, with the wind blowing and the sun shining.

Depends what you mean by 'work'. In the summer time I would prefer to be outdoors, with the wind blowing and the sun shining.

Im imagining clear class, not the dark stuff in the Japan pics.

Also, Id assume the ends would be open to allow a breeze, and perhaps in the winter they could be partially closed to stop wind.

Re: One Bromfield (28-story tower @ DTX)

I hope this proposal fails. According to this weeks Boston Courant this is a "scaled down version". The company originally "looked at more complicated plans. These included building space for offices, hotels or condominiums. All were rejected because weakness in any part of the project offers the potential for a delay in the approval process or while obtaining financing".

I'd rather wait and not get stuck with a scaled down project.

If it's not going to be offices, hotels, or condominiums ... what is it? Rental apartments?

Rental.

Back