11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

Well, considering the now tragically razed 1905 Filene's building is in that shot, I'm guessing it is at least a few years old.

Statler -- using Tragically Razed in the context of the 100 year old but unimportant part of the Filenes site -- deprecates the use the term

Tragically Razed applies in Boston to the John Hancock House leveled for the expansion of the New State House and the similar loss of irreplaceable pieces of the historic fabric such as the Province House [only some steps remain]

Today Tragically Razed would apply to the loss of the Chadwick Leadworks, the Cunard Building or even the curvy 100 Franklin St
1afef755ea094b958f024dfd8ac1cf0d.jpg

We disagree. While your examples are correct, I stand by assertion.

It may not be a tragic loss of history, but it is a tragic loss of urbanity and quality architecture.

the balance is near perfect.

I hope there's no outcry when the Suffolk Courthouse becomes the next huge demo in Boston.

I have it on good authority that this will be the most audacious high rise design we've seen in this city in quite some time. Should be an exciting addition to the skyline.

And the streetlevel?

It'll probably suck but, Tall Tower!!!!11111 spacebar!111!!

If we can't preserve the Payless Building i'll be sad, but I really hope this building at least contains retail along the street level.

I have it on good authority that this will be the most audacious high rise design we've seen in this city in quite some time. Should be an exciting addition to the skyline.

Any idea who the architect is?

not mine to discuss in detail...but I think patience will be rewarded.

We disagree. While your examples are correct, I stand by assertion.

It may not be a tragic loss of history, but it is a tragic loss of urbanity and quality architecture.

Statler -- While I agree that in the abstract it would have been nice to preserve that corner

if the trade was to lose the corner in exchange for the MT project -- complete with the side benefit, excellently planned and delivered, of not just preserving, but showcasing the Burnham -- Well I'll make that trade

I have it on good authority that this will be the most audacious high rise design we've seen in this city in quite some time.
Should be an exciting addition to the skyline.

Left to right, TD Residential, Avalon, GG, GCG 1, 2, 1 Bromfield, Millennium, 111 Federal, Copley Sq, 1 Dalton.

missing; Harbor Garage, South Station, 40 Trinity, 380 Stewart St....

It'll probably suck but, Tall Tower!!!!

looks good from here....

Last edited:
^That skyline is awesome. The 60's/70's building block towers, which were once the entire downtown skyline, have been relegated to background filler and are practically invisible.

From Druker? Please. My patience will be rewarded the way trying to hold in a puke is rewarded - with a giant projective vomit.

This isn't a druker project...the developer is from out of town.

Still waiting for a rendering...

Any day now...

Bueller?

Still waiting for a rendering...

Any day now...

Bueller?

Looks like whatever high-priced PR firm I presume they've retained to help them navigate the shoals of Boston development politics--hard enough for locals, downright diabolical for strange and unknown New Yorkers--is earning their keep!

Still, the B&T story said "under two weeks," didn't it? The whole world will know soon enough...

I hope you are right but I wouldn't assume this. The description on the Halvorson site was probably written before the project was fully vetted by BRA staff and then presented to various stakeholders. The BRA may very well have told the developer to chop off a little height and keep it below Millenium Tower. Often the BRA will tell a developer who comes in informally to present a project to pare it down a bit before showing it to the community. Note that the Halvorson site refers to a 60-story building and current reports say 59.

In addition, this was not an official public release so the description by Halvorson may not be based on the zoning height. It is possible a consultant like Halvorson may have been referring to the overall height and may have rounded up from something just shy of 700.

^I am hoping that the BRA didn't necessarily tell them they had to pare it down, as opposed to stressing to them that the design must factor in potential shadow restrictions on the common. This would mean that if the description was written after that initial BRA meeting, they have already designed a max. height tower, that will meet shadow/height restrictions, and will be ready-to-go. (it may also explain the emphasis on "sculpted, low profile podium" in the description- they designed it to meet the shadow restrictions) (we can hope)The guy was a partner with Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, he must know his stuff. Less than a week till we actually see what's planned.

Back