11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

This tower is going to be staggered to Millennium sort of in the way the twin towers were staggered (corner to corner). 1 Bromfield is going to be round so I'm sure some of their units will have Millennium in full view, but Millennium is already built so theres nothing that they can stop from happening. Its tenants in Millennium that would complain about a new tower and this shows that they will be minimally affected. Its honestly a perfect location and its barely going to affect Millennium at all. If anything it enhances the view because its almost out of sight but if you look waay to the left you'll see it. As for 45 province it will block a part of it but its still staggered even from that tower as well.

The only thing Millennial tower owners will have to worry about is a glut of luxury condos in the Boston market. With this, Four Seasons, and Winthrop Garage are there enough buyers to absorb all of these new units? Im seriously worried that we might see another hole in the ground when we get our next recession/housing bust. What I see in Boston is a shortage of middle market properties but a growing glut of luxury properties.

Globe:
Jewelers Exchange won’t team up with high-rise’s developer
Usdan approached the trustees of the Jewelers Exchange Building about joining Midwood in a Planned Development Area, or PDA. This city process allows developers to consolidate the many reviews they must undergo; most importantly, they can avoid going before the Zoning Board of Appeals, which typically rules on variances for projects as small as a single-family house, and can be a crucial chokepoint if there are opponents of a development.

Land-use experts say that opting for a PDA is a smart move for any complex project, for several reasons. But what makes them really attractive, said Larry DiCara, a real estate attorney at Nixon Peabody, is that they’re “legally bulletproof.”

“People can sue but the likelihood of their prevailing is almost zero,” DiCara said. “I would always advise to do a PDA if you can.”

But to qualify for a PDA, the project must be at least one acre in size. Midwood’s site is about half that. Adding the Jewelers Exchange property would have given them a big enough plot.

So Midwood asked the Jewelers Exchange to join a PDA, Exchange trustees and others familiar with the negotiations said. The jewelers building, built in 1922, would have stayed put. Essentially, Midwood would have bought the acreage for a PDA, paying the jewelers for their costs and trouble.

The jewelers hired experts for studies and cost estimates. The two sides went back and forth, but they were too far apart on price. Neither would specify the dollars involved. But Jay Shoostine, owner of Boston Estate Buyers and a Jewelers Exchange trustee, said the difference was “X and 10X.”

Interesting. I suppose that the developer could turn to the owner of the "Sam LaGrassa" building...wouldn't that property get them to the minimum PDA area?

Interesting also that the Jewelers Building wouldn't throw in and that the parties were far far apart. Perhaps they are holding out their PDA option for developing in conjunction with other adjoining properties on their Washington/Province St block and have placed a correspondingly high value on Jewelers Building participation. (Sticknmove's aerial made for an interesting investigative tool on this point).

Just my theories...glad to hear some more informed ones!

Thanks.

i said in the Globe, Boston could conceivably, top out with as many as a dozen 200m skyscrapers.

i should have added, 'or we could end up with 4' and the world's number 1 stunted turd skyline.

Last edited:
45 Province owners may sue...traffic issues...take the T or move is my answer

Not really tryin to go off topic but theres not exactly a ton of news on this so.... I like that this is bringing the original Copley tower facade- dark glass with curves, back to Boston. Its not the exact same as Copley was but I like it better. I was kind of annoyed when Copley turned into another blue mirror glass tower...but its a great tower so Im happy with it. Im just glad we have a newer taller version to make up for it. Heres a pic then we can go back on topic.

CopleyPlaceTower600x400-300x200.png

Interesting. I suppose that the developer could turn to the owner of the "Sam LaGrassa" building...wouldn't that property get them to the minimum PDA area?

Just my theories...glad to hear some more informed ones!

Check out figures [overhead site diagrams] 2-5 through 2-10 from the One Bromfield St. DPIR

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/c6735730-2db3-4821-b560-5026672db78f

Its pretty clear from those that the LaGrassa's building ("existing 4-story building") is formally excluded from the scope of the development footprint. Based on that one has to conclude that that ownership group wasn't interested in participating, right?

Check out figures [overhead site diagrams] 2-5 through 2-10 from the One Bromfield St. DPIR

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/c6735730-2db3-4821-b560-5026672db78f

Its pretty clear from those that the LaGrassa's building ("existing 4-story building") is formally excluded from the scope of the development footprint. Based on that one has to conclude that that ownership group wasn't interested in participating, right?

I heard they tried to buy Sam LaGrassas but "Sam" wanted $20M...so between that and the jewelry building they're going it alone. Wonder how this will play out.

I heard they tried to buy Sam LaGrassas but "Sam" wanted $20M...so between that and the jewelry building they're going it alone. Wonder how this will play out.

617 -- I think that they need to move fast -- the window for this current round of construction -- which we may well view in the future as a Legendary Period -- is starting to get ready to close

The Global Economy is slowing. China in particular is heading for what a "Normal Economy" would call a Deep Recession. Europe is floundering along and the US' "Recovery" from our last Recession is beginning to look Tired

Just guessing that if they don't have the basic approval in place by the end of the summer -- then they won't be able to find the financing to go forward in this cycle. As a point of reference over 14 M sq ft is currently either under construction or basically approved and working its way though permitting

Story in the Financial Times
https://next.ft.com/content/71643b6c-c675-11e5-808f-8231cd71622e

The ‘Manhattanisation’ of Boston: city’s high-rise building boom
A new generation of high-end residential towers is being built in the city centre — but some residents aren’t happy
APRIL 19, 2016

Boston is undergoing its biggest building boom since the 1920s, with a new generation of high-rise condominiums bringing about what some agents are calling the “Manhattanisation” of a city best known for its low-lying Victorian brownstones.

The flurry of construction includes 83 major projects — worth about $7bn — in 19 of the 23 neighbourhoods that make up the capital of Massachusetts.

Traditionally, much of Boston’s new-build stock has been made available only to the rental market. However, anticipating demand from buyers who might consider swapping life in wealthy suburbs such as Weston or Lincoln for car-free condo living in the city centre, developers have been creating a series of high-end apartments for sale that offer levels of amenities previously unknown in Boston.

“If you want a martini at 2am or someone to walk your dog, you’ve got it,” says Richard Friedman, president and chief executive of Carpenter and Company, which is developing One Dalton in Back Bay, one of the three central areas seeing the bulk of new construction. “There will be an Imax cinema, a 70ft wraparound lap pool, secretarial services and 1GB internet,” he says.....One Dalton’s 60 storeys — ....the tallest new building in New England for 40 years — will house a Four Seasons hotel on the first 21 floors and 180 private residences above — costing from $2m to $35m..... The homes on the higher floors will have views all the way to Cape Cod, 70 miles away. Lettings on these new residences will be tightly controlled. “We’ll only allow a minimum of one year and to an approved tenant,” says Friedman. “And no Airbnb.”....He expects a quarter of the units to sell to non-US residents. There will be a smattering of parents with children at Harvard and MIT in Cambridge, just across the Charles river from Back Bay. The remaining units are likely to sell to what he calls Boston’s “distinguished and wealthy”.....

......Property developer Joel Sklar, president of Samuels & Associates, is hoping these new routes will lead to an increase in overseas interest in property in Boston. His company is co-developing Pierce Boston, another of the city’s emerging glass towers, with the Chinese company Landsea.....The 109 units for sale (there are a further 240 rental units) are marketed from $850,000 to $5m. Residents will have access to such amenities as a rooftop pool and a residents’ lounge on the 30th floor, with 360-degree views of the city....

...Property data company Link reports record prices in Boston’s condo market — with nine central neighbourhoods rising by almost 10 per cent between 2014 and 2015 to an average $680,000. In buildings with concierge services and parking, prices rose by double that rate to an average of $1.75m......

Boston’s third-tallest skyscraper — Millennium Tower in Downtown Crossing...will have 442 residences costing up to $37.5m. Ninety per cent of the homes have already sold...A three-bedroom apartment is on sale for $8.65m through estates agents Campion and Company.

“The market leader in every regard is One Dalton,” says Tracy Campion, founder of Campion and Company, “particularly because the Four Seasons lifestyle it offers residents”. Amenities more than architecture drive today’s high-rise buyers, she thinks. “Boston has seen amenity-rich buildings in the past, but today’s offering goes above and beyond anything we’ve known.”

Buying guide

● Boston, not Chicago, is the windiest city in the US, which poses an engineering challenge for architects of its skyscrapers
● Average temperatures range from highs of 24C in July to lows of -2C in January
● Greater Boston is the US’s sixth-biggest economy thanks to its colleges, universities and biotechnology sector
● The city’s violent crime rate has dropped dramatically since the 1990s

What you can buy for …

$500,000 A one-bedroom loft-style conversion in Fort Point, central Boston
$1m A three-bedroom family home in Lincoln with a large garden
$10m A five-bedroom apartment in one of Boston’s new high-end condominiums

i will happily debate any one of these nimby loons from a perch above the Capital Dome with the amps turned up loud..... Luckily none of Boston's nimby losers will pay the green fees to read the latest hit piece and class-warfare baloney.

Hudson Yards alone is will add 17M sq ft and a direct injection of $20B into New York's economy.

i will happily debate any one of these nimby loons from a perch above the Capital Dome with the amps turned up loud..... Luckily none of Boston's nimby losers will pay the green fees to read the latest hit piece and class-warfare baloney.

Hudson Yards alone is will add 17M sq ft and a direct injection of $20B into New York's economy.

Odurandia -- if you are so much in love with NYC -- why not say so -- instead of various peripheral allusions

Try this list for a ranking of the future potential of Global Cities

image001-624x414.jpg

Would seem so. But what seemed interesting was the Jewelers Building. All the developer seemed to be trying to buy was JB's "participation" in the PDA, not the fee simple interest. JB ought to take the money and run, unless its participation in another as of yet unidentified or future project is worth more.

Interesting. 3-16 shows traffic moving in opposite directions on one-way Bromfield, one direction heading toward pedestrian Washington where it meets on coming one way Franklin (To Be Closed).
I'm confused! Looks like they are counting on a lot of help from the city traffic department to make this work.

DPIR pulls:

BTEiGjq.png

Any way you can repost this one at a higher resolution?

The 705' at the top doesn't appear to be at the VERY top. So maybe this is ~710'? I definitely thought it was supposed to go a bit higher.....

Interesting. 3-16 shows traffic moving in opposite directions on one-way Bromfield, one direction heading toward pedestrian Washington where it meets on coming one way Franklin (To Be Closed).
I'm confused! Looks like they are counting on a lot of help from the city traffic department to make this work.

Toby -- I think that is delivery trucks -- they are entitled to use the "Pedestrian-Only" portions of Bromfield and Washington St. before or after making a delivery in the district

Otherwise we go back to the era of hod carrying and hand trucks and carts on the streets

photo-shows-some-of-the-pushcart-vendors-in-one-of-the-market-streets-picture-id517736016

BTEiGjq.png

The 705' at the top doesn't appear to be at the VERY top. So maybe this is ~710'? I definitely thought it was supposed to go a bit higher.....

So, we've lost 25~32' and we're back to our early estimate of ~710'.

Will equipment be installed at lower levels?

Their scale model was a good deal higher than Millennium, in any case.

I hope they don't knock off 15~20% off the height like they've done on every tower in Boston since the lunacy began.

Last edited:
Will equipment be installed at lower levels?

Yes. Level 6, 37 & 38 are MEP floors. I assume 37 will serve the Rentals down and 38 will serve the Condos up. Level 6 will serve the podium.

The top of the tower is only a cooling tower & elevator machine room (EMR)

Any way you can repost this one at a higher resolution?

The image itself in the DPIR is at a low resolution. That's the finest quality I can get for an export.

Edit: These sections actually don't match and the elevations in neither of them are actually at the floor. I think the floor elevations got shifted accidentally.

Last edited:

Back