11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

Haha. Its whatever its just a forum we come to kill time on and get our architecture fix. I used to follow Dubai construction very closely when it was stagnant here. Now that this place is on fire I could care less about that highway ridden joke of a city lol and really only come here since I live here and get to go look at the new shit as it goes up. Sorry for another unnecessary bump here as well, but there not thaaat much really going on here... unfortunately.

highway ridden joke of a city

Never have I heard a better description for Dubai. It is like what urban renewal would have made American cities if it had not been stopped. Except for the "being successful" part.

They built so fast that once they figured out what they wanted to do it was too late. We sort of did it in the seaport but it really only lead to 1MPD. The city now found its style its going for and every proposal we get now is better than the last. Same with Dubai but they built at such lightning speed at first that the city is just riddled with turds. They are throwing up a lot of nice buildings now but theres nothing they can do about SZR looking like ASS from the period where they just wanted to build and didnt know what they were trying to do. Parking garages everywhere and cheesy architecture that your stuck with forever. Sucks to be them.

With this tower I hope to see it come back but I didn't really like the first design. I liked the black glass I think the world is getting too saturated with blue glass towers and we need to try some new colors so if it comes back as a black glass tower with an iconic design but not iconic in the way they were going for before it would be great. Just gotta play the waiting game.

This project seems dead. I haven't seen any news on it in a long long time and if it was just a matter of fixing the car port I think that would be an easy and quick change. Implies to me there are ore fundamental issues at play or this was never a serious proposal beyond design, approve and sell.

Odurandina, shame on you for opening this thread up with ZERO updates just to blather on with your opinions... and others for adding more blather.

Just go to the bulfinch crossing office tower thread, theres tons of new shit posted over there to hold the sharks at bay for a few hours. That thread had a really good day today, this one not so much.

Yeah, i didn't want to respond to StellarArch's comment on the 1 Dalton thread. ...i should have put my interest in 1 Bromfield on the project x thread.

It's been 10 months since we've heard a peep from either the developer or BPDA.

This project seems dead. I haven't seen any news on it in a long long time and if it was just a matter of fixing the car port I think that would be an easy and quick change. Implies to me there are ore fundamental issues at play or this was never a serious proposal beyond design, approve and sell.

In the weeks leading up to all the excitement last April, some of you alluded to the possibility that the developer was not a favorable out-of-towner, rather arrogant, long on ambition in the area of money, and much less interested in actually building a tower. ....seems you all might have been right. Worse, Some of us were gullable enough to attend the meetings.

i also think that the lack of a project and the speed of several other projects is a disturbing sign, that many who live in this City are dead against Boston reaching the next level. It's just the same bullshit; people refusing to find a common ground and work together.

Last edited:
Dzh,

Pardon, but i interpreted Logan's Globe passage as close at least to 'totally dead.'

Maybe i'm off there. Sorry, but i weighed the Logan's sharply negative cadence w/ the logic of the part of Meddlepal's post that i quoted. It's been past 2 years since the BCDC's sharp rebuke of the project. It would follow that we should have heard something by now.

Projects have been known to come back. But, i took the liberty of bumping the thread for what stands as the (2nd) tallest skyscraper proposal in Boston in 5 decades appearing to be (at least in the current cycle) quite dead.

scuttle
[skuht-l]

context; to abandon, withdraw from, or cause to be abandoned or destroyed (as plans, hopes, rumors, etc.).

Last edited:
My guess is that midwood may way to see how the rezoning of downtown plays out. Right now they are beholden to variances and potential litigation from abutters...with zoning changes that may no longer be the case.

While I'm almost always YIMBY, this project is somewhat worrisome to me. Bromfield is a classic Boston street that should not be shat upon at the ground level.

Increase the lovely skin of the building by 1 floor. Keep the retail. Keep the above ground garage. Fix the massing. Hold out for the height. The City wants highrises going up. Hold out for every inch of that height. Hold out! You know that's what Millennium would do.

Increase the lovely skin of the building by 1 floor. Keep the retail. Keep the above ground garage. Fix the massing. Hold out for the height. The City wants highrises going up. Hold out for every inch of that height. Hold out! You know that's what Millennium would do.

No. For fuck's sake, no. That was literally the worst part of this overall terrible project.

May it remain forever dead.

Why was their plan for the garage so bad? Easy; because they were going to tear down the building and destroy the classic 20th Century street wall (that must remain). The garage wasn't the problem. Losing the retail (and quite specifically the shoe outlet) was the problem.... How does this get built without the above ground garage? I suppose you could attempt to build an underground garage with a facadectomy. Is it feasible? Maybe.

The problem was revealing a remarkable lack of sensitivity to the street corner, and Burial Grounds area, replace the building and clad the lower levels of the new tower's base in such a unseemly way.

This site can accommodate a 710' tower.

My guess is that midwood may way to see how the rezoning of downtown plays out. Right now they are beholden to variances and potential litigation from abutters...with zoning changes that may no longer be the case.

Absolutely. Why would they go to war with the 45 Province folks when a zoning change is impending anyway. That would be a compete waste of resources. I would guess we should expect to hear nothing about this until the rezoning is done.

No. For fuck's sake, no. That was literally the worst part of this overall terrible project.

May it remain forever dead.

You're right. A sleek new tower? Nope. Horrible idea. Let's keep an ugly, shitty Payless Shoestore in tact. Oh, and the long abandoned CitySports.

Crackheads.

You're right. A sleek new tower? Nope. Horrible idea. Let's keep an ugly, shitty Payless Shoestore in tact. Oh, and the long abandoned CitySports.

Crackheads.

There are a thousand ways to get your opinion across without taking a personal jab at someone for their's.

Back