115 Federal St. (Winthrop Square)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Jackson really believes that a 1000-footer in Boston will be a terrorist target. I think his main gripe is that the city's/mayor's money and resources could be better spent elsewhere, that there are more pressing concerns to address in Boston.

If you disagree, write a letter to the editor!

Well I think of it more like an investment.

Yes, the money would be better spent on the starving children, but this might be the catalyst of some huge movement in Boston (modernism?) which brings in more money than it cost to build the building, and THEN we can spend it on the starving children.

Spending money to feed people is stupid, spending money to give people the means to feed themselves, like places to work or farm, is far better. No creation of generations of dependents or increasing financial burdens on everyone else. I'd rather see the city spend money to get a return on its investment through taxes and people having places to live or work than throw money down a hole just to feel good in the short run before the funding runs out and everyone is just as miserable once again, if not more so due to their taxes being wasted. The tower is a great idea if the infrastructure that will support it is sufficiently planned and implemented.

And if it doesn't take 20 years, 14 billion dollars, and kill people within a year

I'm not really surprised that an article with this tone was written. I figured it'd be a lot sooner, but since the RFP deadline is up in November it seems they wanted to keep the story 'fresh' until then. Columnists in other newspapers have written about the 9-11 influence on building and public opinion of skyscrapers since.

What I'm more surprised about is the fact that there haven't been more articles along these lines written. Not so much the fear of terrorist attacks but more along the lines of "this money can be better spent doing X, Y and Z". In a city like Boston, I think that the coverage on the news and columns in the papers about this project have been for the most part, really positive.

If I remember correctly, the final portfolios from all the interested companies are due in November. Coming closer and closer...

I can't wait to see the submissions (if we ever do see them, besides the winning one).

I was just thinking about that today. I am getting a little antsy waiting for these designs. I think that a tower like this will be good for Boston, as long as it isn't flat topped and bland. I hope the BRA makes a good decision on which proposal to select.

I hope that we get so world class architects like SOM or Foster. It would be a little ironic to have Pei design a new tallest and recently (like most of his work) all his buildings look the same. I wouldn't mind having Calatrava and Gehry proposals, but I personally find their designs to outlandish and not my taste.

I think this is about 115, but it may just be about all new development in Boston.

The Globe said:
Save Boston

By Steve Bailey, Globe Columnist | August 18, 2006

The Yankees come to town today for the most critical series of the season. Whether our Sox can compete, we'll know soon enough. But this much I already know: Fenway Park, given up for dead by the previous owners, has never looked better.

Many readers of this column despise Fenway -- they let me know every time I mention the place. But not me. For all its obvious limitations, Fenway is authentic, the real thing, and can't be replicated. It took out-of-town owners (the Globe's parent company is an owner) to appreciate that, and an architect who could see not its imperfections but its possibilities. And she is not done yet.

Last week, I sat in the new State Street Pavilion, above the first base line, with the Red Sox's Most Valuable Planner, Janet Marie Smith, and we talked not about Fenway, but about Boston. What if she could do for Boston what she has done for Fenway, I wanted to know? What would she do?

``In many ways, it is exactly the same as here at Fenway," says Smith, who splits her time between Boston and her Baltimore home. ``The question was why should we go create something new that is mimicking something that is mimicking Fenway, with all its character and imperfections and its layers and years of charm and appeal?" Boston itself is much like that, she says.

``Boston's history is a huge asset . . . It is the urban equivalent to going to a national park," she says. ``It is a fabulous and free way to experience one of our greatest cities. These kinds of things for a city last forever." So while Boston debates the ``what do we do next" question, Smith offers an answer: ``First and foremost, you build on the blocks you have. History is one of the most magical things about it."

Smith talks about the ``postcards" she sees in her head when she thinks of Boston, and not one includes a Hancock, or a Prudential Center. Of the new generation of proposed towers -- epitomized by the mayor's 1,000-foot tower in the Financial District -- she says: ``I hope those tall buildings tend to stay in a district." She adds: ``One thing I would do is adhere to my own rules" -- something Boston frankly fails to do all too often.

While Smith does not consider herself ``antitower," she says it is not the skyline but what happens on the sidewalk that makes a city great. ``There is a presumption in America that towers make a denser city," she says. She likes the lesson of Co-op City in the Bronx with its acres of residential high-rises that actually have less density than low-rise Brooklyn. Forty years after the Prudential Center was built, she adds, Boston is still trying to make the surrounding plaza work.

In renovating Boston, Smith would start with the parks. Many are well maintained, but many aren't. The waterfront, and our current pitiful ability to get down to the water, would be another priority, she says.

Government makes a mistake, she believes, when it abdicates its role to invest in the public realm. The Big Dig, she says, is a great accomplishment, not a mistake, the current public flogging aside. ``It was wonderful that Boston had this vision 20 years ago to do something as major as the Big Dig. The greenway is icing on the cake."

It is investing in the public realm -- mass transit, our parks, and museums -- that will make Boston more attractive as a place to live and more competitive, she says. ``We lose sight often that the public realm is a public investment," Smith says.

One of the prime directives laid down by Sox chief executive Larry Lucchino at Fenway Park was ``to first do no harm," she says. It is good advice when it comes to city building, too.

Not long ago, the Save Fenway crowd looked like crazies. The crazies turned out to be right. Who now will save Boston?

Steve Bailey is a Globe columnist. He can be reached at bailey@globe.com or at 617-929-2902.
Link

That's right, lets save Boston by keeping a decrepit parking garage so the druggies and homeless have a place to purge fluids and pass out after hours, and force development into other areas where something valuable might have to be torn down. Better yet build nothing and let the city economy become sluggish like it did in those fun filled years of the 1970s. But it's important that someone 'feels good' rather than something practical being done, because isn't that what life is all about 'feeling good'. Screw all those other pesky people that might need a place to work or planners that are so stupid they can't figure out an underutilized space being developed might hurt someones feelings even though the area is non-residential. Because 'feeling' is so much better than thinking, oh yes indeed because the NIMBY who has enough money to live in two damn cities at their leisure has 'feelings' that best any so called experts in planning, development, architecture, or economics.

/extreme sarcasm = just had a really bad day with a community development committee.

Lurker said:
That's right, lets save Boston by keeping a decrepit parking garage so the druggies and homeless have a place to purge fluids and pass out after hours, and force development into other areas where something valuable might have to be torn down. Better yet build nothing and let the city economy become sluggish like it did in those fun filled years of the 1970s. But it's important that someone 'feels good' rather than something practical being done, because isn't that what life is all about 'feeling good'. Screw all those other pesky people that might need a place to work or planners that are so stupid they can't figure out an underutilized space being developed might hurt someones feelings even though the area is non-residential. Because 'feeling' is so much better than thinking, oh yes indeed because the NIMBY who has enough money to live in two damn cities at their leisure has 'feelings' that best any so called experts in planning, development, architecture, or economics.

I'll drink to that!

I hate to disagree with Janet Marie Smith on anything at all, but the John Hancock Tower is on tons of tourist postcards, and is widely considered to be a icon of our city.

re

Exactly what I was going to say. In fact the Hancock Tower-Trinity Church pairing seems to me to be the most common post card scene I've witnessed.

Fanuel Hall comes in there and Old State House too, but largely because of its context in a modern crossroads. The recurring theme between these "postcard" scenes that she claims dis includes modern Boston are the ones where there is great contrast and show the continuous integrity of the city and its willingness to evolve over its lifespan and show the old and the new existing all together. Sticking with the past? Boring. That's not what "sells". Fenway shouldn't be torn down because of its significance and its usefulness (as compared and weighed into its historical merit), as most of our surviving significant antique structures have.

A 1000 footer downtown? That's far from ridiculous. How does Boston get its postcard scenes and architecturally notable buildings if not for investing in building things that are notable, especially if its going to be something useful. Its needless to say it is far from the most outrageous idea that has been floated and, as could potentially happen, be completed in Boston, and is probably not the biggest departure from what was at the time considered Bostonian and great for the city.

Its sad when an architect denounces progress. I consider this building progress, not because its necessarily classic Bostonian as far as style but because its another level of diversity in this city and that makes things interesting. She should appreciate that.

I agree with all of the above statements above. While I would not want a 1,000 foot tower, say in an area like the North End, Seaport District, or some parts of the Back Bay and Beacon Hill, a 1,000 foot tower in the Financial District or near the Hancock or Pru towers would be great for the city. As budman3 said, a 1,000 foot tower would only improve Boston's image to the world, saying that Boston can maintain its history, while taking steps forward into the future, assuming the project is done right.

bostonman said:
While I would not want a 1,000 foot tower, say in an area like the... Seaport District
I'm sorry, I have to disagree with you on this one. The entire Waterfront should be lined with 1,000 foot towers that have artful holes in the top for the planes to go through.

1051168-View_of_Kingdom_Centre-Riyadh.jpg

bostonman said:
I agree with all of the above statements above. While I would not want a 1,000 foot tower, say in an area like the North End, Seaport District, or some parts of the Back Bay and Beacon Hill, a 1,000 foot tower in the Financial District or near the Hancock or Pru towers would be great for the city. As budman3 said, a 1,000 foot tower would only improve Boston's image to the world, saying that Boston can maintain its history, while taking steps forward into the future, assuming the project is done right.

For me, what makes Boston one of the greatest cities in the world is its ability to balance history and the future with the present.

When you look around the city you see a lot of historical places and architecture as well as some newer buildings that I personally think add to the flavor of the city. 111 Huntington in my opinion is one of the best skyscrapers built in this country the last 5 years or so. It really adds a new demension to the Back Bay which has a lot of great, historic buildings. I'm not the biggest fan of the Prudential Center but I can't imagine the city without and wouldn't want it to not be there. The Hancock Building is another great building, it's been around for 30 years now, yet it feels and looks brand new...to me anyways

That's what Boston does best, find a way to incoporate it's colonial/20th Century history with other eras; be it the present or the not so distant past and have them blend together.

If you live on history, you're never going to progress and make new history. Think of Boston without the Hancock building, a building many people didn't want. The city doesn't need a 1,000 footer to be great, but assuming this is going to be a state of the art design, the building will only show what Boston is good at in terms of blending our history with our present.

quadratdackel said:
bostonman said:
While I would not want a 1,000 foot tower, say in an area like the... Seaport District
I'm sorry, I have to disagree with you on this one. The entire Waterfront should be lined with 1,000 foot towers that have artful holes in the top for the planes to go through.

1051168-View_of_Kingdom_Centre-Riyadh.jpg

So that's where I left my bottle opener.

Everyone knew this was coming:

Shadow of a doubt: 1,000-foot tower to put Common in dark
By Scott Van Voorhis
Boston Herald Business Reporter
Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - Updated: 12:27 AM EST

Mayor Thomas M. Menino wants his 1,000-foot skyscraper to be a stunning statement about the Hub?s brilliant future.
But critics say Tommy?s Tower threatens to cast a cold dark shadow - literally - over the Hub?s historic crown jewel, the Boston Common.
And there is even the chance the tower would run afoul of the law as well.
An obscure state law bars any new tower built in Boston from casting shadows over beloved Boston Common.
It may sound like one of those made-in-Massachusetts rules that is just too goofy to be taken seriously.
But the 1990 shadow lawhas forced more than one would-be tower developer to knock precious stories off the top and undertake other radical redesigns.
And the Beacon Hill activist who pushed the bill through at the State House, Henry Lee, is now warily watching the mayor?s skyscraper plans.
Having tangled with other high-rise builders, Lee, president of the Friends of the Boston Public Garden, sees some big shadow-trouble looming.
City Hall?s proposed tower site is just a five-minute walk from the Common through the Downtown Crossing shopping district. And Menino wants to let builders go as high as 80 stories, dwarfing even the majestic, 60-story Hancock tower.
?I would would say that, with a building of that height, we would be concerned,? Lee said. ?I would think a building that height would pretty well cover the heart of the city at one time or another.?
A spokeswoman for City Hall?s development arm, Lucy Warsh, said it is ?too early to speculate? about a possible shadow impact on the Common.
A Sandburg Center for Sky Awareness shadow-length calculator finds that a 1,000-foot building in Boston on Sept. 12 at 4 p.m. would cast a 2,591 foot-long shadow, or nearly half a mile.
The 60-story Hancock Tower - built in the 1970s before the Common shadow law was passed - casts its silhouette across the length of the Common, noted Susan Park, president of the Boston Preservation Alliance.
But it?s not just the Common that could find itself eclipsed by the mayor?s towering skyrise.
The new tower would also loom almost directly over another Boston gem, the Post Office Square Park. It is considered a sunlit oasis amid the austere, tower-lined Financial District.
Yes, even the nearby Greenway, that stretch of dusty, former Central Artery land slated for a necklace of downtown parks, would lose some badly needed rays.
But it gets darker. Park fears the shadow cast by the city?s tallest tower could reach as far as the North End, Faneuil Hall, and even the Old North Church.
?You can never mitigate (for) the loss of sunshine,? Park says. ?A million dollars is not adequate for the loss of sun in perpetuity.?

The Post Office Park arguement is ridicules. Why? Well if shadow was a problem, then wouldn't they complain about the skyscrapers that literally surrounds the park? Anyways, the shadow will only cover part of the Common and only at certain times. Mainly at early morning or at near dusk. It shouldn't matter too much. And if they did prevent this from building, then they might as well tear down Tremont on the Common and the Millennium towers because they also cast shadows on the park at certain times.

I'd love to see Tremont-on-the-Common torn down. Unfortunately it was built long before this rule took effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back