115 Federal St. (Winthrop Square)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like some cartoonish exaggeration is accepted for these images. Philadelphia's LOVE sign is enlarged and I think it also shows some historic buildings you would never see in a skyline shot. NY's seems to squeeze the midtown and downtown skylines together and the statue of liberty is thrown in. London's makes its skyline look a lot bigger and denser. San Fran's includes some of its postcard townhouses enlarged.

Obviously a realistic image beats what is there now. But if other cities' images are any guide, you have some creative licence to capture the city's essence.

101040.jpg

100637.jpg

101028.jpg

101032.jpg

^^ When linking to cities' renderings from emporis you have to save the image and then link it from imageshack or something or it comes out all x's. Presumably because they don't like direct linking and who can blame them. Just an FYI for those of you who want to show other cities for comparision.

But TheBostonian said exactly what I was seeing, things that aren't necessarily in the right position/size/angle but are there because they are usually associated with the city itself or need to be included for all intents and purposes.

By the way CS--are the buildings/bridge going to be darkened at all? Seems to be a little contrast between them and the water/sky. Other than that, it's one of the best on the site, great job.

Sorry for not being around much lately. My girlfriend had surgery and I've been spending a lot of time with her, and the same goes true for this upcoming week (4th of July = anniversary, plus she's still recovering). I want to finish this skyline though!!!

Also, dealing with the thread subject (Winthrop Square), Do we know who spent the 5,000$ to get the information and rules on the submissions due in November?

castevens said:
Sorry for not being around much lately. My girlfriend had surgery and I've been spending a lot of time with her, and the same goes true for this upcoming week (4th of July = anniversary, plus she's still recovering). I want to finish this skyline though!!!

No problem CS, I hope your GF is doing okay. Take your time, I'm sure it's not easy to put together a skyline rendering, I'm just happy you took on the project and that it's coming along well.

What about putting Rowes Wharf in the front?

is there any way we can change the topic title to 115 Winthrop and edit out aka Menino's phallic going away present. It's getting annoying to read.

you edit the first post. meaning it would have to be castevens, or you three would have to start your own thread.

Done.

Well, the plus is that it made it easier to click on...

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
The Globe said:
High and mighty?

By Derrick Z. Jackson, Globe Columnist | July 19, 2006

NEW YORK is building a 1,776-foot Freedom Tower. Chicago is planning the 2,000-foot Fordham Spire. Donald Trump is building a 92-story building in Chicago. Here in Boston, Mayor Tom Menino wants a 1,000-foot tower.

In New York, the Freedom Tower is meant to replace the twin towers of the World Trade Center that were destroyed by airborne terrorists nearly five years ago. New York Governor George Pataki wrote in a March guest column in the New York Post that the tower would ``reclaim our skyline with a soaring symbol to New York's resilience." He said, ``When steel rises to the sky, it will call us to embrace a tremendous future filled with limitless potential. Most of all, it will symbolize our steadfast commitment to our most cherished value, freedom."

In Chicago, skyscrapers are undergoing their biggest boom in three decades. In praising the prospect of the Fordham Spire a year ago, Mayor Richard Daley brushed off suggestions that the city was building new targets for terrorists. He said if construction was stopped on such fears, ``why don't we just close this country up and just say we've given up? We'll never give up."

Here in Boston, Menino said in February that a four-digit skyscraper would be ``a stunning statement of our belief in Boston's bright future." He said it would ``symbolize the full scope of this city's greatness."

Similar to America's insistence on driving sport utility vehicles after 9/11 -- that is, until gasoline prices began chipping away at the cachet of driving a dinosaur -- it seems that our leaders and city planners have done little internal searching after 9/11 about what gives a city its soul. Terrorists knock our tallest buildings down, and we plan to stick even taller ones back up in brazen machismo. Greatness remains shallowly equated with the brawn of brick and steel.

To be sure, terrorists hardly need skyscrapers to inflict horrible damage, as exemplified by the Madrid and India train bombings. But in the immediate aftermath of 9/11, many architects urged caution about how much ego should be poured into iconic towers. Eric Darton, author of a history of the World Trade Center, told National Public Radio that he hoped whatever replaced the twin towers would have an architecture that would build bridges between people.

``There is something about highly vertical structures, particularly used as office spaces and as residential spaces, that tend to distance us not only from the earth, but from one another," Darton said. ``I'm not suggesting we not build vertically there. I'm just suggesting that we be very aware of that, and horizontal structures to be more connective."

The reality, of course, is that most towers merely accentuate the disconnect between big business and ultra-wealthy condo dwellers and the rest of us. Three years ago, in a speech to the National Press Club, Menino seemed to understand that. Talking about his role as the ``urban mechanic," he talked about having ``created hundreds of acres of parkland, thousands of new housing units, and . . . millions of square feet of research and development space on the drawing board. But human development, one person, one block, one neighborhood at a time, is what makes a real difference in people's lives. That's what shows people that government can work, and it does work at the local level."

What no mayor or government has yet to adequately explain is how a 1,000-foot or 2,000-foot tower makes a city any greater than delivering the above. Daley says the Fordham Spire will be a ``great symbol." Menino says his tower will ``symbolize" Boston's ``greatness." Pataki says the Freedom Tower is a ``symbol" of New York's resilience and America's freedom. Distinctive skylines are an alluring part of a city's identity, but when cities like New York, Chicago, and Boston still struggle mightily with providing basic public education, healthcare, and police protection, and remain choked with traffic jams and even crumbling tunnels, what exactly do their leaders mean when they say a single building inhabited by the entitled makes them great?

At a time when America has chosen to go it alone in the world and Americans consume resources as if we are the only people who matter, this upward thrust of monuments to wealth and consumption is ill-timed and unseemly. Pataki went so far as to say that the Freedom Tower, with its homage to 1776, would recall ``a legacy that our enemies seek daily to destroy, here and around the world." Putting such ego into a building may only make it an even bigger bull's-eye.

Derrick Z. Jackson's e-mail address is jackson@globe.com.
Link :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

``There is something about highly vertical structures, particularly used as office spaces and as residential spaces, that tend to distance us not only from the earth, but from one another," Darton said. ``I'm not suggesting we not build vertically there. I'm just suggesting that we be very aware of that, and horizontal structures to be more connective."

This is the exact opposite of true! :evil:

unless they put horizontal elevators in the Gillette plant, I'd say people on opposite sides of that are WAYYYY more disconnected than from the 1st to 90th floors on any building.

C'mon. He's just TRYING to stir revolt. Boooo

Although are we really suprised? We all knew any project above 7 feet tall would meet resistance in Boston...

Apparently, Mr Derrick is afraid of terrorist and that he has decided to let the terrorist win by prohibiting towers to rise to show that the US are not afraid to build tall and that even something after 9/11 cannot put the US down.

I also want to add to the fact that this new tower might boost Boston into a better future. As you can see, Boston is making a comeback in the office market as demand has started to rise again. Vacancy from what was about 20% last year now has plunged to 9.4% this year so far and now the cost of office space has risen with supplies starting to run low. This tower can open a whole lot of new options as companies may flock to Boston for more space and thus boost the economy and may turn the city around in population as well as more people will work her for more job opportunities.

^Don't tell us, we already know. Email the guy who wrote the article and educate him before he strikes again.

I don't think it would matter. I think this guy is obviously going to go against building any tall tower. Hopefully, the people of Boston will not turn this tower away because of one person's fear of crashing or bombing towers.

``There is something about highly vertical structures, particularly used as office spaces and as residential spaces, that tend to distance us not only from the earth, but from one another," Darton said.
I'm going to stick my neck out there and agree with this. The most "neigborhoody" neighborhoods--South Boston, JP, Chinatown, Roxbury, etc., are those with low rises. The places I've been with high rise apartment buildings--Manhattan, West End--might have lots of foot traffic, but when you get that many people where nobody can know their neighbors, there is a distance between people that the older neighborhoods don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back