121 Seaport Boulevard | Parcel L2 | Seaport Square

A 'squat fatty'? Do you want developers to start lobbying the FAA to change their height restrictions? What's your solution to that? Build it shorter and narrower and give up FAR?

Again, the glass color will look slightly different once its cleaned up after construction. What color do you propose? The dark glass of the Goodwin building?

A 'squat fatty'? Do you want developers to start lobbying the FAA to change their height restrictions? What's your solution to that? Build it shorter and narrower and give up FAR?

Again, the glass color will look slightly different once its cleaned up after construction. What color do you propose? The dark glass of the Goodwin building?

1) They chose to put an elliptical cross section spanning the long diagonal of the parcel. That created a massive wall of glass...a large, broad face of the building. As I stated: when the M parcels are built, this will be a non-issue because that view will have disappeared. They actually chose not to maximize FAR on this parcel by using the ellipse. I am sure they designed this knowing that it would be part of a larger street wall / context...so my jokingly calling it a "squat fatty" is a knock on it's present intermediate state, not the overall outcome!

2) Being an enthusiast of design and construction as we all presumably are, I am very well familiar with how the glass is dirty during construction and then cleaned afterward. That said, the renders all showed a very light hue of bluish glass. Unless they are going to do some miracle cleaning technique that substantially changes the hue of the glass, this is not going to look the same as the renders.

Why are you being defensive toward someone who simply stated he doesn't like the glass color? I do not have a problem with the building or the seaport. I am actually quite looking forward to how the seaport boulevard streetwall will look with 101, 121, and the M-parcels all in a row.

The glass is nearly identical to the Manulife Tower's, only newer looking. Do those of you who are complaining about the cladding also dislike the Manulife Tower?

I think for me the biggest problem is that "variety is the spice of life" so it seems a bit early to essentially repeat cladding in the same general area. Manulife is kind of secluded compared to this development so it's not like the 2 similar buildings are side-by-side.

I also would have liked a bit more of a dichotomy between the flat front's cladding and the rest of the tower. Still, overall it looks good in person from most angles, and will look even better when it's cleaned up.

The "squat fatty" label applies to the entire Seaport. I just wish that maybe development would slow down a bit there so we can finally get moving on some of the larger projects in downtown and the Back Bay.

The ship that was uncovered during excavation will be incorporated into the park, which is now being dubbed the "Harborway Museum," between this and 101 Seaport. Skanska will also include an augmented reality phone app, kinda gimmicky IMO.. a simple exhibit would've worked fine. It's nice that they're bringing the ship back, though. According to Curbed, wood from the ship will also be used for furniture throughout 121.

https://boston.curbed.com/2017/6/16/15813532/shipwreck-museum-boston-harbor-way-seaport

(I think that's a new rendering of the park, too.)

The ship that was uncovered during excavation will be incorporated into the park, which is now being dubbed the "Harborway Museum," between this and 101 Seaport. Skanska will also include an augmented reality phone app, kinda gimmicky IMO.. a simple exhibit would've worked fine. It's nice that they're bringing the ship back, though. According to Curbed, wood from the ship will also be used for furniture throughout 121.

https://boston.curbed.com/2017/6/16/15813532/shipwreck-museum-boston-harbor-way-seaport

(I think that's a new rendering of the park, too.)

Globe:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...-way-museum/Z7OCrXiPycQEZgXdi8katO/story.html

C5.jpg

Almost there:
v6ud4hJ.jpg

4iHnigi.jpg

D22LGe2.jpg

I feel like this parkway is going to be a success once the construction ends and retailers move in. The ship exhibit will also be a nice touch as well.
abyjXJq.jpg

Last edited:
The ship that was uncovered during excavation will be incorporated into the park

Weeelllll, that's the PR spiel. I'd argue they're only doing that in the most cursory way (and no in any way comparable to what they did for the Vasa, cited above, which was to actually preserve it rather than turn it into a higher-budget version of an IKEA table):

Developer Skanska USA said Thursday that it will turn the plaza between two office towers at 101 Seaport Blvd. and 121 Seaport Blvd. into “Harbor Way,” an “interactive walking museum” with displays depicting the now-booming business district’s past as a working waterfront, the engineering effort it took to fill in tidal flats there in 1896, and the final voyage of the wrecked ship, believed to be from Rockland, Maine.

People who want to see the wrecked boat itself, though, will have to talk their way into the office tower. Wooden remnants of the ship were turned into furniture, which will be used in common areas and conference rooms.

Remember this park:

C5.jpg

Leads directy into this:

020217seaportsc001.jpg

Entering into the shot from the bottom right after crossing "autumn lane" -lol.

Aerial:

C4JxfPKXUAAmPZg.jpg

Basically a retail cut through from Seaport Blvd to Summer st. Summer is at a different elevation so theres a stair case leading up to it from Congress St. This is going to give an easy way to get up to summer st, the bcec, south station, fort point, and other general retail. The buildings closest to Summer St. actually have a very short walk to South Station, especially the two buildings directly abutting summer st.

I like how theres a little bit of wood at first then once you cross the street theres tons of woods laid into the ground.

Last edited:
Basically a retail cut through from Seaport Blvd to Summer st. Summer is at a different elevation so theres a stair case leading up to it from Congress St. This is going to give an easy way to get up to summer st, the bcec, south station, fort point, and other general retail. The buildings closest to Summer St. actually have a very short walk to South Station, especially the two buildings directly abutting summer st.

I like how theres a little bit of wood at first then once you cross the street theres tons of woods laid into the ground.

It's better than a stair case. The entire "Harbor Way" will climb up to summer street. So you'll be able to turn off Summer Street and drive down to Seaport Blvd (similar to D Street). At least I hope that's still the design.

Its funny how everyone (myself included) was excited about this being a bit different etc etc and you see the finished product and its like meh, its good but I'm not blown away. I think its too short to make a striking visual impact

Its funny how everyone (myself included) was excited about this being a bit different etc etc and you see the finished product and its like meh, its good but I'm not blown away. I think its too short to make a striking visual impact

I think the bait and switch on the quality/color of the glass is the culprit here. Still an impressive building but I totally agree that it will not make a striking visual impact.

I think the bait and switch on the quality/color of the glass is the culprit here. Still an impressive building but I totally agree that it will not make a striking visual impact.

Once again. The glass is not dark. The building is dark because there is no interior finish. Just wait before you cry in your beer about how they "switched the glass on us"

cca

These glass people are unbearable. Wait until the finishes are in place!

Back