128 Widening

Why did you kill the Park Rd bridge? I do see the alternative path to the east, but that would require a new span over the pike which seems unnecessarily expensive. Park rd is also major cut through between Route 30 and Route 16 / Newton-Wellesley line.

I'm not sure it's such a hardship to make 1 right turn to get from Route 30 to Route 16. In terms of where to direct traffic, the traffic should be going toward Riverside. Capacity improvements around the Grove St. bridge with the Riverside development should be able to move that traffic over the access road to Route 16 and keep it out of the neighborhood.

What he drew is basically what MassDOT should build by 2040 or so.

I'm not sure it's such a hardship to make 1 right turn to get from Route 30 to Route 16. In terms of where to direct traffic, the traffic should be going toward Riverside. Capacity improvements around the Grove St. bridge with the Riverside development should be able to move that traffic over the access road to Route 16 and keep it out of the neighborhood.

What he drew is basically what MassDOT should build by 2040 or so.

My only point is that bridges are expensive. And you already have Recreation Rd and Riverside Rd at least functional. If a private developer wants to fund it, I'm all for it. If Mass DOT funds it, from a taxpayer perspective, I don't get the point as it appears unnecessary. We have plenty of other bridges and projects in line for funding.

Here's my latest: reduces impact on the Charles River, less cost, preserves more existing infrastructure.

Pink is developable land created by the new interchange:

31032167114_c8c17787c5_b.jpg

This is Weston. 40b is the only way that development is happening on this site. A good spot for 40b though.

Last edited:
Here's my latest: reduces impact on the Charles River, less cost, preserves more existing infrastructure.

Pink is developable land created by the new interchange:

31032167114_c8c17787c5_b.jpg

Charlie, No access to Route 30 from 128 South?

Good catch. I missed that one. There are a couple of ways to fit one in.

Fixed it; added a roundabout on Route 30:

31032167114_b61bce5c0d_b.jpg

Last edited:
Southbound traffic has been moved over to the newly constructed lane(s) just south of the Newton Highland exit. Was stuck in miserable traffic Thursday night there on the old road, and went through a few hours ago and all traffic had been shifted.

Does anybody know if they are planning one of those divided exit lanes like the have for route 3 up there? seems like a lot of extra space now. Plus it seems like the Newton Highland exit is being completely re-built/re-located

Southbound traffic has been moved over to the newly constructed lane(s) just south of the Newton Highland exit. Was stuck in miserable traffic Thursday night there on the old road, and went through a few hours ago and all traffic had been shifted.

Does anybody know if they are planning one of those divided exit lanes like the have for route 3 up there? seems like a lot of extra space now. Plus it seems like the Newton Highland exit is being completely re-built/re-located

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Port...rojects/NeedhamWellesley/ramp_key_graphic.pdf

Here's a picture of what the whole stretch will look like. Frontage roads of sorts in both directions. The entire Highland Ave overpass has been demolished and will be rebuilt.

It's really going to be a nice upgrade for the entire stretch.

Yes, collector-distributor roads as they are called are being built between Highland Avenue & Kendrick Street exits. Also a auxiliary lane is being added both directions between Highland Avenue and Route 9.

So I must say Barletta Heavy Division has done a great job. I drive this stretch a lot and the progress has been visible every step of the way. A very well managed project. Now the progress. The project is 67% complete and is scheduled for completion in Spring 2019. Traffic has been shifted to the newly constructed lane Southbound between Central Ave & Kendrick Street to make room for the collector-distributor road construction. The mainline has been milled and will be paved overnight this week between Central Ave & the end of the project near Great Plain Ave. The Highland Avenue Bridge is in its final phase. The section between Highland Avenue & Central Avenue is under heavy construction with pile driving to build retaining walls to support the 5 lanes each dirrection. Crews are widening the Central Avenue Bridge. The Middle section of the Route 9 bridge is ready to have the deck poured and traffic should be shifted onto it soon to construct the last section.

This isn’t actually 128, but its close enough: does anyone have a good overciew of whats going on with I-95 around Attleboro? Major construxtion has been going on there, but all I found in some quick googling was some work on some overpasses.

This isn’t actually 128, but its close enough: does anyone have a good overciew of whats going on with I-95 around Attleboro? Major construxtion has been going on there, but all I found in some quick googling was some work on some overpasses.

So I lived in Pawtucket for a few years and would drive this route alot. They just recently (within the last year) finished the new I-295 interchange, and now I believe they are replacing the north and south bridges just north of the interchange. They did a similar project up in Boxboro for the route 2/I-495 interchange

As long as this is bumped, are there any future plans to expand 128 to 4 lanes North of the 93 interchange in Woburn? That area becomes a massive mess and 3 lanes clearly isn't enough to handle the traffic.

As long as this is bumped, are there any future plans to expand 128 to 4 lanes North of the 93 interchange in Woburn? That area becomes a massive mess and 3 lanes clearly isn't enough to handle the traffic.

That would certainly make sense - that's a prime area where the highway needs to be widened to 4 full travel lanes in each direction plus a full breakdown lane in each direction.

Went over the Kendrick St overpass in Needham today and noticed that the year impressed into the concrete says 2019. Was thinking a mistake but I see it in at least two places. Can anyone explain why this would make sense?

Totally agree. Every day it's backed way up from Burlington to reading. Even on the weekends there is traffic now.

Went over the Kendrick St overpass in Needham today and noticed that the year impressed into the concrete says 2019. Was thinking a mistake but I see it in at least two places. Can anyone explain why this would make sense?

The whole project is going to be completed in Spring 2019. I am going to assume that's the reason for the 2019 date.

Totally agree. Every day it's backed way up from Burlington to reading. Even on the weekends there is traffic now.

Most of this traffic seems to be caused by the I-93/I-95 interchange. Particularly the I-93 North to I-95 South move. The merge area under the overpass is too short and too wide and always slows everyone down. Widening it would probably just provide more space to store the queuing vehicles in advance of the interchange, not necessarily reduce delays.

Back