128 Widening

Obviously something of this magnitude would evolve with public input and engineering constraints.

Bridges over the Charles? Why not? My proposal would just be relocating the several that are already there.

The reason something like this would never happen is that we are in quant old New England, where we will always be stuck in a horse and buggy mindset, clutching our pearls and gasping when something modern is proposed.

The reason something like this would never happen is that we are in quant old New England, where we will always be stuck in a horse and buggy mindset, clutching our pearls and gasping when something modern is proposed.

This is a severe exaggeration. Back in the 50s and 60s, this metro area, and the City of Boston in particular, was extremely willing to go whole-hog into the then-modern concept of what should be done with old cities. The "modern" idea of that time was that old cities should mostly be demolished for shiny new "towers in the park" a la the new West End, or for the freeways to connect them, a la the Turnpike that obliterated much of the traditional African-American neighborhood of Newton, and a la the demolition that was done for the Southeast Expressway that then didn't get built.

As one looks at the lifespan of a city like Boston, those events are only a few blinks of the eye ago, and the scars are still fresh. The African-American neighborhood of Newton never fully recovered (though Setti Warren's election shows that some families did ok nevertheless), and the old West End community was shattered completely and is gone forever (as a community – some individuals like Leonard Nimoy did ok).

So any time anyone proposes anything that involves freeways and rearranging them, the push back is not just “quant old New England, where we will always be stuck in a horse and buggy mindset, clutching our pearls and gasping when something modern is proposed.” Quaint old New England embraced the new with savage ferocity in the 50s/60s, and engaged in astonishing acts of self-destruction as a result. We still haven’t recovered as an urban area.

Having said all that, I DO agree that this area leans towards the provincial and the old-fashioned. I myself have reactions at times almost word for word as you expressed it. So I’m NOT saying you’re wrong everywhere and at all times. I just don’t think the words “never” and “always” have a place in your quote above; “often” is the word. Attitudes around here are complex, for complex reasons. And not all the knee-jerk negative reactions are without grounds.

Your proposed exchange, as drawn, though, looks intriguing. I agree with F-Line that there’s just no need for a new CR station there, and I’m not convinced there’s otherwise a need to redo that exchange. But I certainly would never reject it on the grounds of not wanting one more bridge over the Charles (and I live in Newton, so I would have a dog in this fight), especially if there was some counterbalancing factors in play.

Obviously something of this magnitude would evolve with public input and engineering constraints.

Bridges over the Charles? Why not? My proposal would just be relocating the several that are already there.

It's not number of bridges, it's environmental permitting for new bridges. It's easier for MassDOT to permit rehabs or even replacements on existing piers than to propose new crossings, at least as I understand it.

If you look at some of the major interchanges in this state, 93/95 in Woburn, 93/95 in Canton, 90/495 in Hopkinton for example, all are poorly laid out and lead to traffic backups. I am not saying we need to emulate areas like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, or Los Angeles and have 12 and 14 lane highways. But to have major interchanges that are similar to the layouts seen in those cities would go a long way to make our highways run a bit more smoother and safer for everyone.

If you look at some of the major interchanges in this state, 93/95 in Woburn, 93/95 in Canton, 90/495 in Hopkinton for example, all are poorly laid out and lead to traffic backups. I am not saying we need to emulate areas like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, or Los Angeles and have 12 and 14 lane highways. But to have major interchanges that are similar to the layouts seen in those cities would go a long way to make our highways run a bit more smoother and safer for everyone.

I would have to agree - especially anywhere that the incoming traffic/ramp is before the exiting/off ramp is crazy (*cough* 95/93).

This is a severe exaggeration. Back in the 50s and 60s, this metro area, and the City of Boston in particular, was extremely willing to go whole-hog into the then-modern concept of what should be done with old cities. The "modern" idea of that time was that old cities should mostly be demolished for shiny new "towers in the park" a la the new West End, or for the freeways to connect them, a la the Turnpike that obliterated much of the traditional African-American neighborhood of Newton, and a la the demolition that was done for the Southeast Expressway that then didn't get built.

I agree about the excesses of the 50's and 60's. However, today I see an extremely protectionist and arcane mindset in the suburbs such as Weston.

Metro Boston is made up of all these fiercely independent towns who don't much see themselves as integral parts of a world class major metro area. In my view I would like to see this I95/I90 area developed with high density TOD, the interchange reconfigured to free up land for that purpose, accompanied by a CR station. That would never happen, given the provincial culture I alluded to earlier.

This is the weekend for the highland ave demolition.

Info on detours starts on slide 25.

https://d279m997dpfwgl.cloudfront.net/wp/2016/09/Add-A-Lane-Powerpoint.pdf

They're going to detour the mainlines through the offramps / onramps (i.e across the top of highland ave), I assume with 1 lane each, so it's not really a complete shutdown but it will still be ugly.

Interesting, because it's also the weekend of the rapid-replacement blitz of the Fairmount-Franklin bridge over the NEC @ Readville (HUGE-ass pair of cranes visible for miles around have assumed the position). Fairmount and Franklin are both being bustituted for a short time; NEC no (not sure how that works when the work is literally overhead, but even the Acela is running on normal schedule).

No weekend Needham Line service to begin with, so it's a total multimodal outage on that whole 128 quadrant. Stay home or go elsewhere if you can avoid it, I guess.

Looks like they are staggering north/ south closures after all (within the weekend)...from the globe:

"The closure of the northbound stretch will remain in effect through 2 p.m. Saturday.

On the southbound side, a portion of the highway will close from 1 pm Saturday through Sunday afternoon, and drivers will be detoured off at exit 19B."

Looks like they are staggering north/ south closures after all (within the weekend)...from the globe:

"The closure of the northbound stretch will remain in effect through 2 p.m. Saturday.

On the southbound side, a portion of the highway will close from 1 pm Saturday through Sunday afternoon, and drivers will be detoured off at exit 19B."

Note -- Follow F-Line's advice stay home

The two shutdowns of Rt-128 are complete mostly independent though if the work on the North is not finished that detour will stay in effect until it is complete. If so it could overlap with the southbound Shutdown which is involved with a completely independent task [i.e. removal of the other half of the Needham ? Hyland Ave. overpass

Incidentally, for those who think Boston is always trailing in such things -- the overpass being removed today is 80 years old -- with that part of Rt-128 which it bridges predating almost all other Interstate-Class Highways

For more information on the project see the recent pdf of a powerpoint presntation dated Oct 20, 2016
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Port...Wellesley/presentation_HighlandAve_102616.pdf

And a special note for F-Line -- I hope you didn't have anything in the works for the old "disused" railroad bridge between Central Ave. and Highland Ave. -- its being removed to create room for the ultra wide 5 lanes each side stretch of Rt-128 between Rt-9 and Highland Ave and two ramp lanes connecting to Highland Ave. When finished in 2 years it will be a positively LA-scale 12 lanes of Rt-128 and ramps @ Highland Ave.

Last time I was over there -- I was wondering why the work zone over there looked like some scene from a cross between Lawrence of Arabia and the beginning of the 2nd Gulf War. They are essentially doubling the width of the highway cut right behind Youdoit.

And a special note for F-Line -- I hope you didn't have anything in the works for the old "disused" railroad bridge between Central Ave. and Highland Ave. -- its being removed to create room for the ultra wide 5 lanes each side stretch of Rt-128 between Rt-9 and Highland Ave and two ramp lanes connecting to Highland Ave. When finished in 2 years it will be a positively LA-scale 12 lanes of Rt-128 and ramps @ Highland Ave.

Sigh. Specialer note: covered in the Upper Falls thread you didn't read before opening your mouth. They're rebuilding the side abutments as retaining walls to hold up the hillside, installation of which is legally mandated to be load-bearing for notching and installing a new bridge deck should one be needed. It's in the project website materials if you care to r-... No, of course you don't care to read.

There was no "re-use" to begin with of a bridge that was single-track only.

Also old news; the deck was demolished a full year ago. How long has it been since you've driven 128???

Sigh. Specialer note: covered in the Upper Falls thread you didn't read before opening your mouth. They're rebuilding the side abutments as retaining walls to hold up the hillside, installation of which is legally mandated to be load-bearing for notching and installing a new bridge deck should one be needed. It's in the project website materials if you care to r-... No, of course you don't care to read.

There was no "re-use" to begin with of a bridge that was single-track only.

Also old news; the deck was demolished a full year ago. How long has it been since you've driven 128???

F-Line -- appreciate the courtesy of your reply

No I didn't read all of the stuff -- not even all of the DOT bulletins that come to my e-mail

My reply was focused on the activity at the time -- and I came across the two presentations [power point slide sets -- a sort of consultant's bread and butter] -- after going through them I posted the URL

As I posted I was at Youdoit about 1 week before my post -- but I'm more or less on Rt-128 every other day -- just not very frequently below the Pike

Done early, that's a first in Massachusetts infrastructure projects. I wonder if the contractor got a bonus for finishing early.

Done early, that's a first in Massachusetts infrastructure projects. I wonder if the contractor got a bonus for finishing early.

The Pike toll booth demolition work will be done days if not weeks early and yes, there is a bonus for each day finished early (with a cap).

The Pike toll booth demolition work will be done days if not weeks early and yes, there is a bonus for each day finished early (with a cap).

Actually, several exits are already open in their "winter configuration" one week into the three-week schedule.

That's too neat and clean. Even for a crazy proposal, I doubt you can put another bridge over the Charles. You've got a bunch...

Bridges over the Charles could be reduced by use of loop ramps in two of the quadrants instead of flyovers. This reduces the available developable land to the northwest, but it could work:

30941281345_3145887a9a_b.jpg

Charlie_MTA --- a tour de force of Rampology -- two quick questions:
1) how do you get to / from the CR Station to/from the highways as that is how most of the CR users are likely to arrive?
2) How do you get to/from Recreation Road and the Golf Course -- there is a serious constituency for this both in the Summer and in the Winter for CX Ski

Charlie_MTA --- a tour de force of Rampology -- two quick questions:
1) how do you get to / from the CR Station to/from the highways as that is how most of the CR users are likely to arrive?
2) How do you get to/from Recreation Road and the Golf Course -- there is a serious constituency for this both in the Summer and in the Winter for CX Ski

All the parking for rail should be at Riverside, with a moving sidewalk or something like it linking the CR station and Riverside. That would facilitate CR/Green Line transfers and also minimize the footprint for parking.

The access to the Golf course is still there, just at the western end of it.

1)If I'm interpreting the spaghetti properly it should go like this.
y8JGarx.jpg

QAbJClU.jpg

2)The new link is created via Riverside Road.

!)The aqueduct still complicates the location of new development though.(approx in blue)

All the parking for rail should be at Riverside, with a moving sidewalk or something like it linking the CR station and Riverside. That would facilitate CR/Green Line transfers and also minimize the footprint for parking.

The access to the Golf course is still there, just at the western end of it.

Why did you kill the Park Rd bridge? I do see the alternative path to the east, but that would require a new span over the pike which seems unnecessarily expensive. Park rd is also major cut through between Route 30 and Route 16 / Newton-Wellesley line.

Back