128 Widening

Speaking of 93-95 in Woburn. Is it dead? On the backburner? I checked the project's website and the last movement was 2007. NINE YEARS AGO
http://www.9395info.com/ It seems like such a critical project (along with Rt 1 in Revere), so what's the holdup.

Widening 128 is nice, but are we just building more capacity to then funnel into bottleneck interchanges?

^Even looking at those plans they do basically nothing to help with the I93N to I95S transfer. That really backs up in the morning. Not to the extent that I95N to I93N backs up in the afternoon but it's still significant.

Speaking of 93-95 in Woburn. Is it dead? On the backburner? I checked the project's website and the last movement was 2007. NINE YEARS AGO
http://www.9395info.com/ It seems like such a critical project (along with Rt 1 in Revere), so what's the holdup.

Widening 128 is nice, but are we just building more capacity to then funnel into bottleneck interchanges?

That's unfortunate - a major interchange right in the metro area is in dire need of an upgrade it won't happen before 2020.

The rebuild of the 93/95 interchange in Canton which was supposed to start work next summer has also been delayed.

As in reference to the Woburn I-95/I-93 interchange they are going to phase the work.

Phase 1 expected to begin in 2020 will be a $12 Million project to replace the Washington Street bridge over I-95 in Woburn widening it to 4-lanes and moving the bridge abutments back to make room for the proposed C-D roadway on I-95 NBA.

Phase 2 is a $10 Million project to widen I-95 NB and add a 4th travel lane from the current lane drop at I-93 to Rte 28.

Phase 3 is the massive interchange project.

I have heard the Verizon strike earlier this year delayed the relocation of utilities from the old Highland Avenue bridge to the new one. All utilities need to be relocated before the old bridge can be demolished. So instead of phasing the bridge demolition by doing sections every night from 8pm-5am they are going to put everything they have and demolish the entire bridge over I-95 over one weekend.

Also the recent project update on the website says that traffic is being shifted onto the new Highland Avenue bridge this weekend.

The more I think about this the crazier it seems. And it seems totally gratuitous - if they can do both spans in a weekend, you'd imagine they could do half-half in two weekends.

And this is a place where there's enough room in the median to put 6-8 lanes of traffic through (though I haven't seen the specific layout of the new bridge yet)

Is their schedule so jammed that they can't do an extra week? This really makes no sense. The public is going to carrying a pretty significant cost in order to save what must be a small amount of money for the contractor (do they have completion-date incentives in play here?)

The more I think about this the crazier it seems. And it seems totally gratuitous - if they can do both spans in a weekend, you'd imagine they could do half-half in two weekends.

And this is a place where there's enough room in the median to put 6-8 lanes of traffic through (though I haven't seen the specific layout of the new bridge yet)

Is their schedule so jammed that they can't do an extra week? This really makes no sense. The public is going to carrying a pretty significant cost in order to save what must be a small amount of money for the contractor (do they have completion-date incentives in play here?)

It's only a single weekend and they've given more than 6 weeks notice. Is it ideal? No. But at least they're going to do it all in one shot. I believe the new bridge will be 6 lanes.

My guess is they're trying to get as much done before the end of November when the cold weather comes in and the potential for snow increases. On the other portions of the project (down around 109) there would be a noticeable slowdown from Mid-December through the end of March.

Has the elimination of a 4th lane around the Mass Pike area been beneficial or not?

Beneficial. The temporary prototype worked well and they made it permanent-- similar to the Big Dig era drop of a lane on 93 north outbound for 28 North.

Expect to see more of this--the congestion and accident costs of the diverge and merge are not worth it for letting a few cars pass on the right.

Actually, it probably saves money for the public. You only need the traffic control and police details for a single weekend. Also, who cares if both sides of the highway are closed vs. one? The space underneath the old bridge can only fit 3 lanes - that's why they're replacing it. I don't think you could do both directions under there at once, and I don't think you could pave temporary ROW to get over there anyway because the space between the carriageways is protected wetland.

Beneficial. The temporary prototype worked well and they made it permanent-- similar to the Big Dig era drop of a lane on 93 north outbound for 28 North.

Expect to see more of this--the congestion and accident costs of the diverge and merge are not worth it for letting a few cars pass on the right.

They seriously need to replicate that setup on the southbound side where the way short and sharp Pike-to-128S merge is still a catastrophe of slow-speed mainline merging. Maybe when the tollbooths go away they can do something quick along the lines of:

-- Delete the Route 30 offramp from the SB mainline and replace it with a slip ramp through the tractor-trailer parking lot (or right-turn only ramp through there for 30E + right-turn only ramp up to Park St. for the 30W lights if we don't want to be adding any traffic light cycles).

-- Re-stripe 128S at the Pike split for the lane drop, where both Pike and 30 exiting traffic have now split.

-- Stick the current 30-to-128S onramp merge behind a jersey barrier, separated from the restriped SB mainline.

-- When the barriered 30 merge and the Pike-to-128S merge approach each other at level ground, eat the grass median and merge them together behind the barrier. Start an 800 ft. accel lane behind the barrier with generous right shoulder.

-- Finish all merging to full speed behind the jersey barrier, drop the barrier, then start travel lane #4 by the Worcester Line overpass.

Now there's no longer a problem of weaving when anyone who's been hanging in travel lane #4 gets abruptly upended by tractor trailer coming off that sharp Pike onramp pushing them out of the travel lane because it's only managed to rev back up to 35 MPH by the time its accel lane has run out. Can't fix that ramp's geometry until they blow the whole interchange up, but the only way to make it safe and tolerable is for the merge traffic to be the one starting the travel lane...and for the Pike traffic, not the meager Route 30 volumes...to be the point dictating where the travel lane drop begins and ends.

For anyone who didn't already know there is a Project website for the final phase of the Add-A-Lane project.
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/HighlightedProjects/NeedhamWellesleyI95AddALane.aspx

The state has been very open and transparent with this website. You can sign up for e-mail alerts and a project update is posted every week with planned lane/ramp closures and project work.

The presentation from the meeting the other night is already posted and shows upcoming traffic/lane shifts.

Need flyovers for the I93 and I95/128 interchange in Woburn. Need them 30 years ago.

If they blew up the interchange and made it a stacked interchange with flyover ramps you would see a smaller footprint than what currently exists.

Without trying to go through and find this in all the thousands of forum posts involving the Mass Pike and 128.....

I wonder if this is just a stop gap until they get to the pike bridge over the Charles, and then they'd do a reconfiguration of the whole interchange when they do that bridge over?

If they built a direct WB I-90 to NB I-95 ramp. it would eliminate the weaving problem they are trying to lessen by the proposed moving of the WB I-90 loop ramp.

The direct ramp I mention should wait until the Charles River Bridge is replaced so that room for the direct ramp exit geometry can be made by moving the Charles River bridge slightly south.

I'll be so glad when the whole damn thing is finished. What an obstacle course in the Route 9 area!!

Without trying to go through and find this in all the thousands of forum posts involving the Mass Pike and 128.....

I wonder if this is just a stop gap until they get to the pike bridge over the Charles, and then they'd do a reconfiguration of the whole interchange when they do that bridge over?

It's just a tidying up of the toll plaza area when the plaza gets knocked down. Kinda depressingly limited and cosmetic in scope, and doesn't touch anything on the 128 level.

It's just a tidying up of the toll plaza area when the plaza gets knocked down. Kinda depressingly limited and cosmetic in scope, and doesn't touch anything on the 128 level.

They are going to move that ramp from I-90 to 128 and increase the merging distance which will help big time.

Back