171 Tremont Street | Downtown

Re: 171 Tremont Street

Parking? But the T is right across the street!

The people who can afford this building aren't going to be taking the T. They are going to be paying a premium to have a private parking space in downtown Boston.

$3M a pop isn't out of the question. These units are going to be 3,200 according to the B&T article - About $940 a square foot which is attainable.

you guys have to be kidding me... 3M a unit? they will be going for much more than that, i would say a minimum of 1200-1300 an SF for a building where each floor is a through unit. I would say that units start around 3.8M and the top floors will fetch in the realm of 8-10M dollars

"Skinny tower" - 171 Tremont St.

Didn't see a thread about this, so I thought I'd start my first.

Boston would get its first “skinny tower” under a proposal for a deluxe condo high-rise that would rise over Boston Common.

A Swiss investor has teamed up with a local builder on plans for a 31-story tower at 171 Tremont St. that would give each condo an entire floor, with wrap-around 360-degree views.

http://www.boston.com/real-estate/l...ston-common/ZaaR2KOWCLH6jt628oxbzH/story.html

2 questions.

1) Would that building get torn down?
2) Is that the building where that cool fancy cave like restaurant was? Can't remember the name, but liked it.

you guys have to be kidding me... 3M a unit? they will be going for much more than that, i would say a minimum of 1200-1300 an SF for a building where each floor is a through unit. I would say that units start around 3.8M and the top floors will fetch in the realm of 8-10M dollars

Yea, the Millennium Tower condos on mid-lower floors are going for well over $1,000/sq ft, with the upper floors going over $2,000/sq ft. Same with Millennium Place. This will be park-front property, and will therefore surely get those prices at the very least (if market conditions continue).

Tower plan along the Common gets cut by 100 feet
Wednesday, July 15, 2015
By: Donna Goodison

Swiss investors and a Boston developer now are eying a slender 20-story, 19-unit luxury condo building at 171 Tremont St., across from Boston Common.

The new plans, revised with community input and filed this week with the Boston Redevelopment Authority, call for a 255-foot-high tower — a 100-foot reduction from the 31-unit building previously eyed by the Dabbah family and Hub developer David Raftery.

“Over the last decade, new development in the vicinity has helped the area to finally erase the ‘combat zone’ moniker prevalent for so many years,” the development team said in a project filing, citing Millennium Partners’ Millennium Place, Emerson College’s relocation to Boylston and Tremont streets, and the redevelopment of Lafayette City Center. “The … proposed development will support this continued transformation.”

The Midtown Cultural District Residents’ Association supports a residential project at the site, according to executive committee member Rishi Shukla. But there’s still concern, primarily from residents of the adjacent Residences at the Ritz-Carlton Towers and Parkside condos, about the building’s proposed height and shadows it would cast on the Common, he said.

“We love the quality of the project,” Shukla said. “They offered to work with residents of the Ritz Towers to show the potential impact on their views. They’ve decreased the height significantly, so that’s a welcome change.”

continued ...

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...er_plan_along_the_common_gets_cut_by_100_feet

It is only a loss of 12 units, but still a disappointment.

It seems we have two midtowns, huh? One verrrrrry far north from the other lol.

Anyway, the fact that Ritz residents think they own the view from their own tall building is absolutely ridiculous. The City itself needs to do educational sessions about development and iterate that the view argument is moot and will not be accepted as valid community criticism of a project by the BRA.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well said Data. Trinity Place is being held up for similar reasons. How many projects over the years have been delayed or killed for this same "but my view, my view" reason!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well said Data. Trinity Place is being held up for similar reasons. How many projects over the years have been delayed or killed for this same "but my view, my view" reason!

As they say at the Harbor Towers -- No [Chiafaro] towers on the harbor, No [Chiofaro] towers on the harbor... I got here first --- the view is mine, Nah, Nah, Nah....

It's totally natural and expected that people who currently have views want to preserve them. But that doesn't mean they get to keep them. Cities grow. Views change all the time.

It's also totally natural (or it should be) for people who buy in highrises to do their due dilligence and check out neighboring properties with the sole purpose of future building close to their building. When we bought on the 20th floor of a new condo building in Midtown Atlanta, we checked on the 4 level parking garage on our side to make sure that no highrise could be built on that property...it couldn't since the builder of our condo bought the air rights on that garage and deeded them to the condo association. I do think that most people understand that their views might not be permanent but doesn't hurt to bleat, moan, throw temper tantrums, and sometimes sue to block what they know is not theirs to block. In Boston, it did seem to work but no more. But it doesn't hurt to try!

I do think that most people understand that their views might not be permanent but doesn't hurt to bleat, moan, throw temper tantrums, and sometimes sue to block what they know is not theirs to block. In Boston, it did seem to work but no more. But it doesn't hurt to try!

This is why NIMBYism is so pervasive. The potential of even a tiny percentage negative impact on home value greatly outweighs the infinitesimal cost of writing a letter or showing up to a meeting to complain. I think this administration is proving to be a little more rational in how much credence to give to such claims.

It's also totally natural (or it should be) for people who buy in highrises to do their due dilligence and check out neighboring properties with the sole purpose of future building close to their building. When we bought on the 20th floor of a new condo building in Midtown Atlanta, we checked on the 4 level parking garage on our side to make sure that no highrise could be built on that property...it couldn't since the builder of our condo bought the air rights on that garage and deeded them to the condo association. I do think that most people understand that their views might not be permanent but doesn't hurt to bleat, moan, throw temper tantrums, and sometimes sue to block what they know is not theirs to block. In Boston, it did seem to work but no more. But it doesn't hurt to try!

Also the key point in the Atlanta example is -- if you want to preserve your views, then you PAY FOR THE RIGHTS -- as in AIR RIGHTS -- to preserve your view. No money up front for the view rights (and it is not your 20th floor unit that counts -- it is the air around that unit that counts) then you are just a cry baby.

Back