270 Third St - 75&125 Binney | East Cambridge (née Mega-Lab)

Re: Mega-Lab in East Cambridge

o_O jeez this is truly massive.

Yea between this and NorthPoint there's gonna be about 4 million sq ft of space coming into the Cambridge market in the next few years.

I'm excited to see how the city has changed when I get back there around 2015. Tons of new stuff in Cambridge, Fan Pier, and hopefully Seaport Square will be underway too.

I'm a fan, but I can't really figure out the perspective view on some of them...I think they may be inverted.

Oops, my error.
225 Binney is under construction, not 50.

Supposedly for the others:
75 & 125 Binney Street will feature 366,000 RSF of office and laboratory space. The 2 buildings will be 4 and 5 stories with average floor plates of 35,000 SF and feature a two-level underground parking garage.

100 Binney Street will feature 417,000 RSF of office and laboratory space. The building will be 10 stories with average floor plates of 40,000 SF and feature a three-level underground parking garage.

50 Binney gets a three-level underground parking garage.

50 Binney Street will feature 541,000 RSF of office and laboratory space. The building will be 10 stories with average floor plates of 50,000 SF

Stel -- the key is the 30,000 to 50,000 sq ft floors -- the BIG Companies (e.g. Phizer, Novartis, Genzyme, Biogen, etc.) want big labs all on one floor if possible

Today if you are looking for 100,000+ sq. ft. in one building in Cambridge -- you are out of luck

That's why despite there being many thousands of sq. ft. of prime labe space vacant (15+%) -- there are more than 1 m sq. ft. actively under construction -- with a fair amount of it spec

Walked by 225 Binney Street today and it looks like they are about to complete the demolition phase. All the old buildings (that are to be demolished) are down and they are leveling the area. They were working at several sites in Cambridge today. Trying to take advantage of the good weather.

This is on Binney in between 3rd and 2nd:

7185364120_c771dc4b97_b.jpg

7185361394_3b05564287_b.jpg

And between 5th and 6th:

7185354818_7f4e0781d6_b.jpg

7185349744_e4a84ae50f_b.jpg

7185352846_ff6487a592_b.jpg

Rumors I am hearing is Momenta Pharmaceuticals is the new player for the 2 buildings that Alexandria already had core and shell 100% designs. Lend Lease is the CM/GC. Looking to get a shovel in the ground as soon as the first week in June.
This is really only rumor at this point as I can find no news on it, but my sources are pretty reliable.

A couple of new cranes at 225 Binney Str. (Biogen HQ) site today.
It also looks like they have started work on a third core. It is located just out of sight below the crane on the right.
7311630882_025991af62_c.jpg
[/url]
225 Binney (Biogen HQ) 5/31/12

7546677266_c7a5576acc_b.jpg

7546673936_a459e3355f_b.jpg

7546665798_e8aa66ca94_b.jpg

7546670484_6f7f99bf29_b.jpg

I wonder why they kept these ^ v buildings

7546663216_1a99a88722_b.jpg

I think this goes in this thread.

Ariad%20Pharma.jpg

Ariad Pharmaceuticals Inc. will build a new corporate headquarters and laboratory complex in Kendall Square, adding to a biotech building boom that is rapidly filling that part of Cambridge with jobs and modern buildings.

The company, which recently won federal approval for its first major drug, will occupy most of two five-story buildings to be built on Binney Street by Alexandria Real Estate Equities Inc.

Ariad’s buildings will be part of a larger complex called Alexandria Center at Kendall Square , a 1.9-million-square-foot development.

The company [will] occupy about 60 percent of the 386,000-square-foot buildings at 75 and 125 Binney St.

from behind the Globe's paywall.,

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...4QagIFj3mi4jAyvVI/story.html?p1=Well_BG_Links

One of my pet peeves is renders that have streets as high-gloss. It looks so ridiculous.

Nothin wrong with a little glassphault. It's the future!

Site work on this has already (re)started after initial demo.

One of my pet peeves is renders that have streets as high-gloss. It looks so ridiculous.

It actually looks awesome but makes them look ridiculous.

And hey, there's always a chance of a sunshower producing that effect for 15 seconds!

They have started work on 75-125 Binney. Pile driver on site along with earth movers. Retaining walls going in on the north side of the site.

75-125 Binney 1:17

Good looking building. One of the fresher, more 21st century designs in the area. Like the yellow panels, yes.

I used to work in 215 First Street (the Athenaeum building) which is right next door to this 75-125 Binney Project. This was just an empty parking lot.

I'm wondering WHY Alexandria is building these buildings. When I worked at 215, I was a facilities manager and worked closely with Alexandria and their staff.

From my understanding is.. Alexandria already owns a bunch of lab buildings already, including three floors in 215 that were converted to lab, and they have low occupancy on them. 215 is still nearly vacant (except for the cooking school, gym, Online Buddies, and a few small companies). There's also another building further down Binney that Alexandria owns that has less than 20% occupancy.

Do they really think they'll be able to lease it all? Or are they just building it just for the sake of building?

The big hole that was there for a decade behind 215 (next to Genzyme) isn't owned by Alexandria, but a building was put there in 2008 and it is still empty (3 years later!). I mean does Cambridge really need more lab space? Even with the economic downturn?

And folks, don't get me wrong. its nice to see stuff build instead of a vast wasteland of empty lots and parking lots. But is the NEED there?

cybah, if you read several posts up, 60 percent of this new construction by Alexandria is already leased.

cybah, if you read several posts up, 60 percent of this new construction by Alexandria is already leased.

I'll believe it when I see it. These management companies always over exaggerate whats leased. I'm sorry unless they are naming tenants, its over exaggerated. Because who wants to move into a empty building? No One.

Same can be said for some of these new residential high rises downtown "already 80% sold" yet you see more empty units than full ones.

I'll verify this 60 percent with my contact at Alexandria, but I really don't think its true and its a bloated figure.

I'll believe it when I see it. These management companies always over exaggerate whats leased. I'm sorry unless they are naming tenants, its over exaggerated. Because who wants to move into a empty building? No One.
Same can be said for some of these new residential high rises downtown "already 80% sold" yet you see more empty units than full ones.

I'll verify this 60 percent with my contact at Alexandria, but I really don't think its true and its a bloated figure.

What's your agenda?
New construction commands higher rents. Otherwise nothing new would ever get built.

Back