270 Third St - 75&125 Binney | East Cambridge (née Mega-Lab)

Re: Mega-Lab in East Cambridge

Ron, you must know by now that Open Space is Holy in this city. Everything must be sacrificed to expand it. Everything!

Looks like surveying has begun. The building now appears to be empty.

IMG_8621.jpg

IMG_8624.jpg

IMG_8630.jpg

IMG_8632.jpg

so glad this is coming down,never liked this building!

Wonder how this will be influenced by the move-out of Virtex -- I think the are leaving behind almost 1 Mill sq. ft. in Cambridge in a couple of larger and a number of smaller clumps of space.

sounds like the proverbial house move -- I move into a new house leaving my old house to Steve who moves into my old house leaving his old house to Monica ....

This of order 1 m sq ft biotech co's doing the dance as Vertex leaves Cambridge Biogen Idec moves back in

From boston.com

"Biogen Idec Inc. will construct two office buildings as part of its move back to Cambridge, where the biotechnology company is planning an expansive office and research campus to replace the headquarters it opened just a year ago in Weston....George A. Scangos, chief executive, said the return of 530 employees to Kendall Square will put the firm’s entire Massachusetts workforce in a single location - at the heart of a rapidly growing cluster of pharmaceutical companies near Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

The company wants to break ground on its new office buildings there later this year. One will be a 190,000-square-foot building with an address of 17 Cambridge Center; it will be developed by Boston Properties. The other will contain about 305,000 square feet across Binney Street and will be developed by Alexandria Real Estate Equities Inc., which is planning to construct five new buildings in the area in coming years....With its new structures, Biogen Idec will have its 2,000 Massachusetts employees in six buildings in Kendall Square...East Cambridge will see 1.5 million square foot of construction get underway in the next six to seven months,’’ said Steve Purpura, a partner with the real estate firm Richards Barry Joyce & Partners. “In any other market, you lose a tenant like Vertex, and everyone is running for cover, but Cambridge didn’t miss a beat......“The trend is toward more urban-based developments,’’ Purpura said. “That’s where we’re going to see the next round of projects. The question is, what does it all mean for 128?’’

Heh. You got it. Luckily I get to benefit both times. Got to work on the Weston project, now working on bringing them all back.

Huge expenditure, but at least they are putting the people where they belong. Now if only more of the 128 folks would relocate to the cities.

Aside from the lack of it being 1 storey taller to allow for street level retail, I doesn't look too bad neither.

^^^ Most of the current biotech growth in Boston and Cambridge is the result of proximity to the teaching hospitals. Rte 128 isn't proximate enough.

Not to mention a horrible location for adding hundreds or thousands of commuters. The one site visit I did where I decided to go back roads was ridiculous to say the least. 2 miles of Boston Post Road backed up just to get on the highway. And the pike/95 intersection is just as bad depending on time of day if I went from the office.

Cheaper land ain't all it's cracked up to be.

It's all about segmentation of the labor force:

1) HQ & core R wants to be in the city as there a lots of senior people who would like to live in the city for the lfestyle and can afford it and also to be close to U's and teaching hospitals for seminars -- Kedall Sq.
2) background R and D wants to be more peripheral as the more junior people either live in the city as singles and reverse commute or live in the suburbs as families -- palces like Cambridge Discovery Park at Rt-2 / Alewife
3) fuirher out is fine for the more product oriented people -- less interest in the academic and they like big lot houses in the suburbs -- look at Waltham on the Reservoir e.g. Astra Zeneca, Shire in Lexington on Rt-2

Rendering for 50 Binney. 525,000 sq ft.

are_kendall_fact_sheets_new_template_low_page_1.jpg

For 75-125 Binney:

are_kendall_fact_sheets_new_template_low_page_5.jpg

For 100 Binney:

are_kendall_fact_sheets_new_template_low_page_3.jpg

Rendering for 50 Binney. 525,000 sq ft.

For 75-125 Binney:

For 100 Binney:

I just wish that the architects would do an alternative render of their project in December / January -- this isn't Miami -- more thn 1/2 the year there are no green leaves on most trees

They angle they gave on 50 Binney was pretty cool, but it looks like outside of the curvy glass it's a hulking precast box. Hopefully that's just the backside of the lab and the rest of the building keeps up the glass look.

I'm a sucker for glass & trees, so I really like 75-125 Binney. It would have been nice to make it taller, but whatever. It's cool.

100 Binney is...it's alright. I'm sure the backside of it is all precast brick, but it wouldn't have been a Boston development without it.

I have a feeling the first and last are Elkus. They seem to be going through a curve obsession at the moment. (Ala M-levels of 75 Ames).

That's definitely a double facade on 75-125 too. Very cool.

Oops, my error.
225 Binney is under construction, not 50.

Supposedly for the others:
75 & 125 Binney Street will feature 366,000 RSF of office and laboratory space. The 2 buildings will be 4 and 5 stories with average floor plates of 35,000 SF and feature a two-level underground parking garage.

100 Binney Street will feature 417,000 RSF of office and laboratory space. The building will be 10 stories with average floor plates of 40,000 SF and feature a three-level underground parking garage.

50 Binney gets a three-level underground parking garage.

50 Binney Street will feature 541,000 RSF of office and laboratory space. The building will be 10 stories with average floor plates of 50,000 SF

Back