270 Third St - 75&125 Binney | East Cambridge (née Mega-Lab)

Re: Mega-Lab in East Cambridge

Brad -- some part of the Cantabridgian Denizentry is in the earliest possible stages of becoming a bit more tuned to the ideas of growth, development and potentially lower taxes for the residents who own houses

So you never know -- However the typical temporary dweller in some overstuffed apartment is unlikely to care about real estate taxes and so the NIMBYism will of course continue

I don't understand your point. Cambridge has very low property tax and anyway increasing density shouldn't have a substantial effect on residential property taxes...

I don't understand your point. Cambridge has very low property tax and anyway increasing density shouldn't have a substantial effect on residential property taxes...

$8.66 per $1000 (not including the exemption). Very low indeed.

cca

$8.66 per $1000 (not including the exemption). Very low indeed.

cca

I can't tell if you are agreeing with me or mocking me. I believe that is the lowest inside 128. You have to go to the cape and islands to find lower rates in Mass.

I can't tell if you are agreeing with me or mocking me. I believe that is the lowest inside 128. You have to go to the cape and islands to find lower rates in Mass.

Nope ... not mocking you. That is my tax rate. It is actually about half that when you account for the exemption. Truthfully its the only way I could afford to life in Cambridge due to the high costs.

cca

Rendering for 50 Binney. 525,000 sq ft.

are_kendall_fact_sheets_new_template_low_page_1.jpg

For 75-125 Binney:

are_kendall_fact_sheets_new_template_low_page_5.jpg

For 100 Binney:

are_kendall_fact_sheets_new_template_low_page_3.jpg

I'm curious to know if 50 or 100 Binney are currently under construction right now? Also, are these plots across the street from 75-125? I'm having a difficult time fully picturing this area.

Also, here's a google maps view of it. Were some of those buildings between Binney and Rodgers demolished? I thought there was a large empty grass area here that was being built on.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=75+B...inney+St,+Cambridge,+Massachusetts+02141&z=18

Wow. I actually had no idea how many buildings were demo'd there.

But, jump into street view on that link you sent, and put the walking dude on Binney, and all the buildings are gone. Put him on Rogers and you can see the buildings still (fenced off for demo, but still standing).

Neat. Post 84, I took those from on top of the Athenaeum building, and you can see the grass lot next to it where all the low rises used to be, and the loan 4 storey building on rogers that is still standing beyond the grass that's in your google map.

50 and 100 look intriguing and ambitious anyways. Something to liven the area up would be nice.

75-125 Binney is going to need a new tenant:

The outlook for Ariad Pharmaceuticals Inc. went from bad to worse Thursday after the troubled maker of cancer drugs bowed to regulatory pressure to stop marketing its leukemia treatment in the United States, casting a shadow over the company’s future.

It was the latest in a series of setbacks for Cambridge-based Ariad, sending its shares plummeting 44.4 percent, or $1.76, to $2.20 in trading on the Nasdaq exchange. The stock was trading above $18 a share in early October.

Ariad is unlikely to reach profitability until 2019. “There’s still a lot of uncertainty” about the company’s future, Nadeau said.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...fda-request/2O6tptrEMaBHp8r4qmhVvM/story.html

Are Cambridge taxes high? (sarcasm)

cca

Cambridge residential property taxes are actually extremely low. Even though it's a liberal city, the commercial buildings carry the tax burden.

Not just low, but pretty much the lowest of any city in the area. Last year, Boston's residential rate was 13.14%; Somerville's was 13.42; and Brookline's 11.65. But Cambridge was just 8.66. It ranks 317th of the 342 towns and cities on the list.

Commercial rates are higher, but are still considerably lower than many big industrial cities, and much lower than Boston. Cambridge ranks 79th on that list. There's a very interesting ranking at the BBJ website, giving the rates every city and town in the state. It's quite eye-opening.

Cambridge is really low, as previous posters have stated. Especially for a smaller city with large universities. Cities/towns with large commercial bases have lower residential taxes. Look at the rates in Belmont or Winchester. Cambridge is low. But that's all relative as it's a percentage of access home value.

What's the assessed value ratio they use?

Not just low, but pretty much the lowest of any city in the area. Last year, Boston's residential rate was 13.14%; Somerville's was 13.42; and Brookline's 11.65. But Cambridge was just 8.66. It ranks 317th of the 342 towns and cities on the list.

Commercial rates are higher, but are still considerably lower than many big industrial cities, and much lower than Boston. Cambridge ranks 79th on that list. There's a very interesting ranking at the BBJ website, giving the rates every city and town in the state. It's quite eye-opening.

I think you are off by a factor of 10 in all those percentages (i.e. Cambridge is 0.866%)

Also, Cambridge lets you deduct about $250,000 so even someone with a $1,000,000 home only pays 3/4 of the rate.

Back