321 Harrison Ave | South End

Design has changed a bit for the better.

321-Harrison.jpg

321-harrison_slideshow_5_0.jpg

RNDR_OnRamp.jpg

thumb_template.jpg

321-harrison_slideshow_2.jpg

321-harrison_slideshow_4.jpg

http://www.smma.com/work/upward-momentum

This building feels to me like its the 1 seaport square of the new york streets section of the South End. Its the forefront of the new developments and 1 seaport square is seen as the gateway from across the channel, this is seen as the gateway from across the mass pike.

It is indeed. Look all around the city there is quality going up everywhere. There were a couple years where we were getting infill, but they are trying to stand out these days. The new buildings going up are becoming destinations and headquarters for their companies and they want to stand out and look good now. It feels like theres some friendly competition going on right now where developers are trying to out-do each other with better and better buildings to stand out amongst the crowd.

Design has changed a bit for the better.

321-Harrison.jpg

"The façade features a highly visible, pleated curtainwall that subtly nods to the building’s address—the Roman numerals III II I—and coaxes depth out of a north-facing exterior."

Cool!

"The façade features a highly visible, pleated curtainwall that subtly nods to the building’s address—the Roman numerals III II I—and coaxes depth out of a north-facing exterior."

Cool!

Great observation!!!

I love the archi-speak use of the word coax. Like the building itself was saying "hey ... I just want to be flat man" and then "oh ... ok ... I will wiggle a bit just for you."

cca

I love the archi-speak use of the word coax. Like the building itself was saying "hey ... I just want to be flat man" and then "oh ... ok ... I will wiggle a bit just for you."

cca

Since that pleating clearly costs $'s, I bet it was the developer who needed to be coaxed!

That location is very visible, so worth the investment, and it serves the additional role of hiding 1000 Washington (the old Teradyne building behind it). (Also being hidden from the south by 345 Harrison!)

Praise the BCDC! It's thankfully no longer a copy of 1000 Washington!

WHY NOT MOAR FLORZ???

Seriously, though. Is there an FAA thing at this site? It is close to the old Columbus Center site and IIRC, that site is currently a parking lot, so why not build tall here?

Lack of demand? Harrison/Albany zoning? Small pocketed developer? (Not the third one.)

WHY NOT MOAR FLORZ???

Seriously, though. Is there an FAA thing at this site? It is close to the old Columbus Center site and IIRC, that site is currently a parking lot, so why not build tall here?

^^Good call.

What an improvement!! This treatment should be called 'getting' 'Binneyed,' after Kendall Square.

Last edited:
WHY NOT MOAR FLORZ???

Harrison Albany Corridor has recently negotiated zoning (2013). This is a small project, so falls under the lower height limits and FAR.

FAA has nothing to do with it; it is neighborhood master planning zoning. A lot of effort went into that zoning process.

FWIW I personally thought the turnpike border could accommodate higher, but that was not the ultimate compromise. And where higher zoning is allowed, it is not being used (Ink Block along Albany Street).

This project seems like just what the doctor ordered. Not yet mentioned here yet is the vast improvement that filling in the surface parking lot next to the old Teradyne building with street level retail will make to Harrison Ave. It will make a huge difference in the walk-ability of that block.

Incidentally, there was some random talk about redesigning Harrison Ave a while back. Any updates on that? Similar to Seaport Blvd., at what point does the median get a do over?

Since that pleating clearly costs $'s, I bet it was the developer who needed to be coaxed!

That location is very visible, so worth the investment, and it serves the additional role of hiding 1000 Washington (the old Teradyne building behind it). (Also being hidden from the south by 345 Harrison!)

Praise the BCDC! It's thankfully no longer a copy of 1000 Washington!

The above post contains my response to Jeffs post. Likely BCDC sent it back for improvements. An yes ... it does cost $$. Is it worth it?

cca

Back