401 Park Drive (née Landmark Center) | Fenway

Re: Landmark Center Expansion

I would love to have Samuels come into Cambridge and do there what they have done in the Fenway.

- 3 apartment towers adding 500+ units? Check.

- Bringing in a Wegmans? Check.

-Take out front surface parklot + replace it with greenspace? Check

- Integrating project with the Muddy River restoration project? Check

- Replacing rear multistory parking garage with underground garage? Check

What the hell is everyone waiting for?????? Why is there no statue to Steve Samuels yet?

Once the Wegmans is built, they can finally tear down that awful shaws and build something nice there. Hopefully they will also take down the gulf gas station while theyre at it!

“I am enthusiastic about this project, it’s very promising,” said Patricia Johnson, co-president of the Audubon Circle Neighborhood. “Bringing Wegmans made people cheer because having a grocery store is such a gift to the neighborhood since it won’t be used by Red Sox fans or suburbanites.”

Lady, you live in a major city near a 100+ yr old major league ballpark that (I presume) was there before YOU moved in. Fenway Park wasn't constructed after you had already lived there.

Get over yourself. Learn to share or move to Weston.

BTW, after reading that, Ms. Johnson, I look forward to visiting (and loitering!) in "your" Wegmans. I may not even shower before arriving. :)

“I am enthusiastic about this project, it’s very promising,” said Patricia Johnson, co-president of the Audubon Circle Neighborhood. “Bringing Wegmans made people cheer because having a grocery store is such a gift to the neighborhood since it won’t be used by Red Sox fans or suburbanites.”

Lady, you live in a major city near a 100+ yr old major league ballpark that (I presume) was there before YOU moved in.

I noticed that and I'm inclined to agree with your sentiment. However, residents and tourists need and use entirely different businesses. I don't think she's being dickish to Red Sox fans and suburbanites ("they can't use our stuff") as much as she's saying that she's it's not another sports bar or apparel store.

Also, is it some official policy now that no project can be proposed without a Wegmans? I realize they're trying to get into the market and all, but can't we wait to see if it's good before cheering that every single new building has one?

Also, is it some official policy now that no project can be proposed without a Wegmans? I realize they're trying to get into the market and all, but can't we wait to see if it's good before cheering that every single new building has one?

I live near the one in Columbia, MD.

Trust me, it's good.

Wegmans has the same prepared foods as Whole-Foods, except it's a little cheaper (and they have organic and non-organic stuff).

Wow, seems like it'll be a great proposal. I walk or bike by here nearly everyday and it's always struck me how much space is wasted here. Glad to see that it might go to better uses (the front lot conversion will be nice for my commute).

- 3 apartment towers adding 500+ units? Check.

- Bringing in a Wegmans? Check.

-Take out front surface parklot + replace it with greenspace? Check

- Integrating project with the Muddy River restoration project? Check

- Replacing rear multistory parking garage with underground garage? Check

What the hell is everyone waiting for?????? Why is there no statue to Steve Samuels yet?

Im writing him in for the next mayors race. Governor too. Fuck, President as well. Shove it Hillary.

Lady, you live in a major city near a 100+ yr old major league ballpark that (I presume) was there before YOU moved in. Fenway Park wasn't constructed after you had already lived there.

That's not fair. She wasn't complaining about the ballpark. A neighborhood needs more than just parking garages and ballpark vendors. And the Fenway is a real neighborhood. I like the fact that it is not a complete black hole like most stadium areas. Obviously it had been stunted some over the years, but that's being repaired now. We're really lucky in that regard.

Look at Dodger Stadium and tell me we're not better off.

I still remember when the Landmark Center was an abandoned white elephant, covered in graffiti. Great to see Samuels finding more ways to make that spot even better.

Anyone else click on the Dodgers stadium link and notice North Boylston Street next to the stadium? :)

Wegmans has the same prepared foods as Whole-Foods, except it's a little cheaper (and they have organic and non-organic stuff).

The Wegmans I've been to are a COMPLETELY different prepared foods experience than Whole Foods. About a a hockey rink's worth of international buffet difference from a Whole Foods. Maybe you visited a mini-Wegmans?

Last edited:

That's not fair. She wasn't complaining about the ballpark. A neighborhood needs more than just parking garages and ballpark vendors. And the Fenway is a real neighborhood. I like the fact that it is not a complete black hole like most stadium areas. Obviously it had been stunted some over the years, but that's being repaired now. We're really lucky in that regard.

Look at Dodger Stadium and tell me we're not better off.

Who said she was complaining about the ballpark?

Read it slowly.

“Bringing Wegmans made people cheer because having a grocery store is such a gift to the neighborhood since it won’t be used by Red Sox fans or suburbanites.”

Would it then disappoint her if suburbanites stop in and shop at the Wegmans?

She is complaining about the people who HAVE ALWAYS come to the ballpark - - long before she was born or decided to move to that neighborhood.

Lady, you didn't move to the Fenway in 1911. Oh, I'm sure her decision to move there was based on it being a quiet, insular community where she wouldn't have the hassle of running into people from the suburbs or any Red Sox fans.......

After reading her snotty quote, part of me hopes all group charter and tour buses make a stop at that Wegmans before ballgames.

Last edited:

The subtext I obtained from those quotes is that she is happy that the development is focused towards the neighborhood rather than focused around serving Red Sox fans. I don't really think she wants to exclude Red Sox fans from Wegmans, but is glad that this is not just another parking garage or sports bar.

This is an area which has been largely populated by parking lots which primarily served Red Sox fans, and has been quietly kept under-developed by a Red Sox organization which preferred it that way. The change that is coming is very positive and here we have a neighborhood association which is supportive of that change. They're going YIMBY. That's a good thing!

The subtext I obtained from those quotes is that she is happy that the development is focused towards the neighborhood rather than focused around serving Red Sox fans. I don't really think she wants to exclude Red Sox fans from Wegmans, but is glad that this is not just another parking garage or sports bar.

This is an area which has been largely populated by parking lots which primarily served Red Sox fans, and has been quietly kept under-developed by a Red Sox organization which preferred it that way. The change that is coming is very positive and here we have a neighborhood association which is supportive of that change. They're going YIMBY. That's a good thing!

Amen to most of your points there, Matthew. What is going on in the Fenway is the best of anything that is being done in Boston.

I'm sorry, but "a gift to the neighborhood since it won’t be used by Red Sox fans or suburbanites.” sounds much different to me than it does to you, I guess.

Maybe it is just one person who used the wrong words to describe what she was really thinking. What is obvious, is that the community is behind making the Fenway into a model for a vibrant 24/7 world class city neighborhood.

Re: Boylston West @ Fenway Triangle (Goodyear Tire) | 1325 Boylston Street | Fenway

The section on "The Future of Landmark Center" is amazing. Has construction started on the Landmark Renovation/Additions yet?

http://www.thevanness.com/#retail

Back