401 Park Drive (née Landmark Center) | Fenway

Re: Landmark Center Expansion

I would think that once the Viridian and Boylston West are all said and done we might see this start. At that point Samuels would be doing The Point and Landmark Center simultaneously, just as he has been doing Viridian and Boylston West simultaneously up until now.

EDIT: Uh oh! Looks like this logic, though airtight, is not based in fact. Viridian is not a Samuels project.

Last edited:
Re: Landmark Center Expansion

I was looking at the parking lot in front of the Landmark Center today, right at dusk, when the building itself looked perfect... and thinking what a nice park it'll be when they replace the parking lot. Wondering when that is going to happen, and when to expect the actual expansion behind Landmark? Work on Boylston Street projects, as well as The Point, shouldn't really preclude (at least from a construction permit and traffic disruption standpoint) simultaneous construction here...

There isn't an issue from a traffic permitting perspective as long as they don't both propose taking lanes and sidewalks in the same stretch of roadway. I wonder though if maybe it's because it's the same developer/owner? It would be a lot, even for someone with deep pockets, to have so many projects going on at the same time. The Point coincides pretty well with the completion of Boylston West.

I would think that once the Viridian and Boylston West are all said and done we might see this start. At that point Samuels would be doing The Point and Landmark Center simultaneously, just as he has been doing Viridian and Boylston West simultaneously up until now.

Viridian is actually the Abbey Group, not Samuels.

Re: Landmark Center Expansion | Fenway

^It would be a lot to do simultaneously, but The Point will be a long project and I imagine they will want to cash in on the building boom before it winds down. Im pretty sure Landmark's tenants are mostly gone or moving out soon... anyone?

Either way, wondering if the park in front of Landmark might go ahead before any actual construction or not.

Lastly, do we have a thread for the Landmark rotary Army Corps project? I saw today that there is the beginning of a canal (could see if with water or not) on the the field-side of Park Drive now.

The Landmark project is only waiting for the Blue Cross lease to end, supposedly July, then they shuffle some stores and others will move. I've heard some BC employees are already moving. The gym says they are not moving and I hope the theater stays although Blick is history and part of the theater is above it.

Landmark is not dependent on any other project finishing. The Point was dependent on Boylston West finishing.

When we see BBBeyond move into the old Best Buy location (temporarily!), we'll know demo work is ready to start.

I live in Trilogy and get updates regularly. I have cool pictures of the point demo from above but can't figure out how to post.

The Point should be a fairly quick project, they're only going up not down.

We're pushing to get the dumb on-street parking removed and finally get decent bike lanes installed.

My understanding is that all BCBS employees have moved or are moving by 2nd week in June. I would assume this will start fairly soon or at least prelim construction.

The Point should be a fairly quick project, they're only going up not down.

We're pushing to get the dumb on-street parking removed and finally get decent bike lanes installed.

Bike lanes were approved in 2009....

Do we have a proper muddy river thread?

Took all these through the fences. Going to look pretty nice, but may still feel a little like no mans land if streetscape is not being addressed. Also, once the phragmites get a foothold,all bets will be off...

24134135854_3b5befcf65_b.jpg

24668849201_93e8e388c1_b.jpg

24394657619_ec6502da88_b.jpg

24644503692_e042d330e9_b.jpg

anyone know what is going on with the Landmark Center Expansion?

i need a height number for the tall, apartment tower at Landmark Center.
The last I saw was that tower A was 12 floors 156'
Towers B & C were 14 floors 180'.

Do we have a proper muddy river thread?

Took all these through the fences. Going to look pretty nice, but may still feel a little like no mans land if streetscape is not being addressed. Also, once the phragmites get a foothold,all bets will be off...

I know additional seating/improved lighting is in the cards. I thought phragmite eradication throughout the Muddy was part of the plan.

I know additional seating/improved lighting is in the cards. I thought phragmite eradication throughout the Muddy was part of the plan.

It was at one time but the Feds refused to fund it. There is no funding source and therefore the phragmite eradication will not be addressed for the foreseeable future.

It was at one time but the Feds refused to fund it. There is no funding source and therefore the phragmite eradication will not be addressed for the foreseeable future.

They were right not to fund it. It would be a ridiculously expensive, multi year (perhaps even a decade to go through the existing seed bank) and likely fruitless effort. Phrag propogates via rhizome and seed, so an approved aquatic herbicide (Rodeo) would be required. I'm sure the public would love that (despite the fact that it degrades really quickly). I would just focus on control within the construction area. That way, you could limit to mechanical removal, at least in the near term.

They were right not to fund it. It would be a ridiculously expensive, multi year (perhaps even a decade to go through the existing seed bank) and likely fruitless effort. Phrag propagates via rhizome and seed, so an approved aquatic herbicide (Rodeo) would be required. I'm sure the public would love that (despite the fact that it degrades really quickly). I would just focus on control within the construction area. That way, you could limit to mechanical removal, at least in the near term.

Money -- perhaps we should find out what holds it in check where it is native -- Phragmites is one of the most invasive foreign species that we have acquired around here

I believe that it is native to Eurasia

According to the USDA [in the context of wanting it to grow]
This grass cannot withstand prolonged heavy grazing.
Its upright growth makes it easy for livestock to remove all the leaves

Sounds as if a herd of goats or sheep might solve the problem

Back