401 Park Drive (née Landmark Center) | Fenway

Re: Landmark Center Expansion | Fenway

The rendering reminds me of the North End park section of the greenway which seems pretty successful with people using it on most nice days at least when I have been there so I would expect this park to be used well and as others said it will be much nicer to use to cut through to Fenway Station than what used to be there.

The rendering reminds me of the North End park section of the greenway which seems pretty successful with people using it on most nice days at least when I have been there so I would expect this park to be used well and as others said it will be much nicer to use to cut through to Fenway Station than what used to be there.

I have to agree, and I would assume that Fenway Station is seeing a surge in usage with all the development in the area.

That grassy area was originally supposed to be a "frog pond" style water feature that would transition into an ice skating rink in the winter.

The Muddy River is literally across the street from this.

Nobody is going to ice skate in the muddy river.

What's the deal with the fences on the new Muddy? The entire zone still is cordoned off by chain link. Not cool. I cant believe it could possibly be permanent. Sorry the "derail".

What's the deal with the fences on the new Muddy? The entire zone still is cordoned off by chain link. Not cool. I cant believe it could possibly be permanent. Sorry the "derail".

It's not permanent. Last I heard the fences are planned to be up for two years to help the natural environment take hold. If that's true that would mean they're coming down in Summer 2018.

It's not permanent. Last I heard the fences are planned to be up for two years to help the natural environment take hold. If that's true that would mean they're coming down in Summer 2018.

Thanks very much. I figured it was for the plantings but it also was legit fencing so I was getting worried. Giving the vegetation enough time to really take hold is a worthy endeavor so I'm glad they're doing it right and also that it will be temporary.

Hmm, that's smaller than I was expecting. I was thinking the park would go all the way to the MBTA tracks. I guess I have no idea how big an acre actually is, haha.

Still, whatever we can get is better than a parking lot! It'll be really nice combined with the food court they're planning on installing in the old Best Buy space.

The developer hopes to finish the park by next summer, and the food hall and a grocer will start in later phases currently being reconfigured to be less disruptive than in earlier proposals. Rather than demolish the Landmark parking garage, the developer said it will build around it to make construction less of an annoyance to the surrounding community.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/boston/news/...39456?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

So, why did I think that the parking garage was to be demolished and an underground parking garage would be it's replacement? But, whatever, Samuels has almost single-handedly transformed this area of the Fenway! Everything he's built in the neighborhood has been extremely attractive and successful and I have great hopes for his transformation of the Landmark Center. Glad to see it's finally going to happen, I imagine it was put on the back burner until his Pierce was well underway to being finished.

^^Coulldn't agree more. Very excited about this area. Samuels is kicking ass – and making a huge play for the future. i wonder if we'll be talking about these guys and other's doing the neighborhood thing so well, being tapped to let West Roxbury rise in a few years.

I don't know if it is at all relevant, but it looks like Star Market just closed on a new mortgage for their property on 11/29/16 posted on the Suffolk deeds website.

More recently they bought the gas station next door with the express purpose of expanding the parking area for the grocery store. I suspect that they believe the Wegmans that is proposed for Landmark Center won't be coming on line in the foreseeable future, (let's just say 4-5+ years) and until it does they will be seeing a lot more traffic because of all the new units in the area. They will then own two contiguous parcels that taken together, will fetch top dollar to a developer who wants a very desirable property.

I can't remember the exact locations, but it seems that in a couple of instances, grocery stores with lots of parking are getting into the real-estate game.

More recently they bought the gas station next door with the express purpose of expanding the parking area for the grocery store. I suspect that they believe the Wegmans that is proposed for Landmark Center won't be coming on line in the foreseeable future, (let's just say 4-5+ years) and until it does they will be seeing a lot more traffic because of all the new units in the area. They will then own two contiguous parcels that taken together, will fetch top dollar to a developer who wants a very desirable property.

I can't remember the exact locations, but it seems that in a couple of instances, grocery stores with lots of parking are getting into the real-estate game.

Like this one at the Stop & Shop in Allston/Brighton:
http://www.archboston.org/community/showpost.php?p=281642&postcount=1340

There's a dedicated thread for this: Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway

And for this: Allston Yards (Stop and Shop) | 60 Everett St | Allston

I love the park. The only thing I have a question about is the intersection. I may be slow on this, but is it being redesigned as part of the Muddy rehab? A LOT of people will be using the Landmark park, (Wow, Landmark park, seriously, what a place-name), and crossing Park Drive. Is there a thread that has the details on this?

I love the park. The only thing I have a question about is the intersection. I may be slow on this, but is it being redesigned as part of the Muddy rehab? A LOT of people will be using the Landmark park, (Wow, Landmark park, seriously, what a place-name), and crossing Park Drive. Is there a thread that has the details on this?

The muddy river rehab was completed last year. The intersection is in its final state right now.

The muddy river rehab was completed last year. The intersection is in its final state right now.

I'll have to go by there and check it out. Have some free time today and it is beautiful out. (Sunday) That intersection has always been sort of a mess for pedestrians, and with the Muddy rehab being completed (although still fenced off) and this new park being constructed, I can imagine that this will become somewhat of a destination for people during lunch/dinner hours, instead of a place where the entire goal is to move through as fast as possible. Like I said, I will have to go and check it out, but if that intersection isn't made more pedestrian friendly, I think a real opportunity will be lost.

The Brookline Ave and Boylston St approaches from the east are not yet complete because of ongoing construction of the tower.

Ok, having been there today... I would hope that the Landmark park would include more seating areas along Brookline Ave. than I can see in the render. It seems like a perfect place to sit and eat at ACTUAL TABLES. Maybe something like the Earl of Sandwich in the Common. Please, that place is terrible, but in terms of a small eatery surrounded by tables and some trees, maybe that might work better than just some grass and some weird landscape architecture. Plus, hint hint, it would make some money.

Back