401 Park Drive (née Landmark Center) | Fenway

Re: Landmark Center Expansion | Fenway

Fortunately, there's a Whole Foods and Shaw's within a few blocks of this development. And a target with some food options.

Right, other options exist (even if that Shaw's is total garbage; I'm someone who loves grocery shopping yet I get angry and frustrated every time I try to shop there) but Wegman's still would have been nice.

Right, other options exist (even if that Shaw's is total garbage; I'm someone who loves grocery shopping yet I get angry and frustrated every time I try to shop there) but Wegman's still would have been nice.

I've shopped at this STAR MARKET off an on over the past 9 years and haven't noticed any issues with it recently. They've invested a lot over the last few years to bring it up to par. My only annoyances are that the selection isn't as good as other locations and the aisles are narrow.

Landmark Center changes name, removes housing from multi-use project.

A 506,000-square-foot office and lab building would replace the previously-approved plans for three apartment buildings containing 550 units at the Landmark Center in Boston’s Fenway neighborhood.

Developer Samuels & Assoc. of Boston said today it’s renaming the property 401 Park and planning to retain the existing parking garage, previously slated for demolition and replacement with underground parking.

(Might be paywall) http://www.bankerandtradesman.com/2017/08/new-name-change-plans-landmark-center-redevelopment/

^^ Seems prudent. A ton of housing has come online lately in the Fenway (much of it Samuels' work) and this location can tap into Longwood office/lab demand. Plus, leaving the existing garage in place and building around it has got to bring down the scope, cost, disruption, and timeline of this project significantly.

B&T said:
The new office and lab building would rise at the corner of Brookline Avenue and Fullerton Street, and contain 17,000 square feet of retail. The existing 950,000-square-foot office and retail building will be renovated for office and lab use along with 300,000 square feet of retail, Samuels and partner J.P. Morgan Asset Management said.

I'm excited to see what fills the retail space.

18AAfKYh.jpg

The render's nothing inspired, but I kinda like the industrial-ish look. And Elkus resisted his urge to slap 11 different claddings on one building!

All in all, I'm fine with these changes.

Last edited:

Oh that looks really nice actually.

Always hate to see residential get cut but this could be good news for getting other projects along Boylston street and the Charlesgate proposal moving forward.

^I feel like the Charlesgate proposal is dead in the water

At first I was going to write that this rendering seems off--it initially looks like Brookline Ave is a wider blvd. when in fact it's one of the shorter street crossings in the area. But on closer look I realized that this office tower will be set back pretty far from the intersection, with a new plaza going in on the corner (consistent with the residential proposal from years ago).

I like it. If for nothing else, a plaza on that corner will be a marked improvement for the thousands of pedestrians that cross there everyday--gamedays or otherwise.

I think this is great news; office space interspersed with residential makes for a healthy urban environment. People can live within walking/biking distance from their work which increases exposure to retail while reducing strain on public transit and roads.

It also brings additional stability to the existing (and future) retail by boosting lunch time demand. It's a lot easier to pitch a business plan that assumes a big lunch crowd in addition to dinner.

So if I am oriented correctly, is this going where the Blick Art Materials store currently is? If so, I wonder if that will move over to another retail slot in Landmark Ctr?

EDIT: if I squint and look closely at the render, it looks like Blick is still there on the left edge of the picture. Hmm, interesting how they'd shoehorn this around that.

So if I am oriented correctly, is this going where the Blick Art Materials store currently is? If so, I wonder if that will move over to another retail slot in Landmark Ctr?

Yes, that's where Blick is currently. There's no space for them to build around the existing structure since it goes all the way to the street.

Presumably they will demo the whole building up to (and including?) the cinema, so we'd see Panera displaced as well.

I think this is great news; office space interspersed with residential makes for a healthy urban environment. People can live within walking/biking distance from their work which increases exposure to retail while reducing strain on public transit and roads.

It also brings additional stability to the existing (and future) retail by boosting lunch time demand. It's a lot easier to pitch a business plan that assumes a big lunch crowd in addition to dinner.

Right, the more I think about this the happier I am with these changes. Mixing residential and office makes for much more efficient use of resources (transportation, infrastructure, retail, everything...) and an overall more lively environment. The Fenway has a good mix, but most of the recent projects have pushed that balance more heavily toward residential. This is a good opportunity at a good location to counterbalance it a bit with some more commercial.

Given that this is a Samuels project, we can be sure that appropriate attention will be paid to the street level. He gets it (remember that Target wanted to take the ground floor, but Samuels insisted that they move upstairs).

I'm also sure that other developers like John Rosenthal and the folks over at Fenway Center / One Kenmore had a nice little fist pump when they saw these plans. If everything goes as it is supposed to, the first phase of of that project (the two residential buildings on terra firma) should be come online right around the same time as this.

I'd be interested in seeing a siteplan for this thing. As dshoot alluded to earlier, it's a little unclear from the render where exactly this sits in the Landmark Center site. The perspective in the render is funky (Kilmarnock and Fullerton aren't nearly as wide as depicted; i.e., Chipotle and Sweetgreen are closer together than the image shows) so that makes everything a bit warped. It looks like the current building with Blick and Panera will be demolished, a plaza will go there, and the new building will go behind it over and around the garage? And a new building (with a moved Blick, according to the signage in the render) will go up where the movie theater entrance is now?

I wonder if Panera and Blick will slide over into the vacant former-Best Buy space during construction. That'd make sense...

EDIT: Ninja'd by a few people...

I'd be interested in seeing a siteplan for this thing. As dshoot alluded to earlier, it's a little unclear from the render where exactly this sits in the Landmark Center site. The perspective in the render is funky (Kilmarnock and Fullerton aren't nearly as wide as depicted; i.e., Chipotle and Sweetgreen are closer together than the image shows) so that makes everything a bit warped. It looks like the current building with Blick and Panera will be demolished, a plaza will go there, and the new building will go behind it over and around the garage? And a new building (with a moved Blick, according to the signage in the render) will go up where the movie theater entrance is now?

I think the perspective in that render is being thrown off by the people in front of the building. Unless we assume each 3x3 square of windows is double height, the people in that render are like 3-4 feet tall. But if each 3x3 square were double height then this building would be ~25 stories and almost as tall as Pierce.

Right now it looks like the people are over 100ft away, but in reality they'd be ~30 feet from that perspective.

edit: Here is the google maps perspective, from the opposite side of the street. Unfortunately there's a giant bus in the way so you can't really see Saloniki and Sweetgreen for reference.

Back