401 Park Drive (née Landmark Center) | Fenway

Re: Landmark Center Expansion | Fenway

Although I HATE the change of plan, I LOVE the architecture.

Admittedly you don't have to do much to rise above the very very low bar for architecture in this hood. They didn't use any more expensive materials, but at least they ditched the intermingled random cheap plastic facades theme. Just shows class doesn't have to cost money.

this helps with the bus issue at the expense of being further back...
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.344...4!1sWL9EyNiK9jeTEzI_LAT2MA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The angle in the render doesn't exist in real life. Everything is much closer together / more cramped (in a good way). For example, Kilmarnock is two lanes in real life but the render shows three.

Here's what it looks like from inside Saloniki (the windows just to the right of the render).

o.jpg

Full documentation:

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/c40e5bd9-c818-4de7-bb56-5843dd9160fb

Looks like a full reno/rebuild is in the works for the cinema, which is a nice surprise. Imagery begins on p.29.

Great find. There's a "project benefits" section pages E-5 and E-6. Emphasis mine:

Neighborhood Design Benefits:
-Creates a total of 2.2 acres of open space, including conversion of a 1.1-acre surface parking lot to a public open space serving as a gathering place to the entire Fenway neighborhood.
-Creation of a public plaza at the Brookline Avenue and Fullerton Street intersection.
-A destination food hall serving gourmet local food offerings.
-New and engaging pedestrian connections between the train station and the district, including new connections through and around the building.
-Transforms the Park Drive, Brookline Avenue and Fullerton Street frontages of the Site, drawing active retail uses down Fullerton Street from the intersection with Brookline Avenue.
-Provides improved pedestrian connectivity between the MBTA’s Green Line Fenway station and the Fenway district by constructing a multi-use path and reducing auto/pedestrian conflicts within the property boundaries.
-Improves streetscapes with generous sidewalks, streetscape improvements, new lighting, street trees, vibrant retail and quality architecture.

Transportation Benefits:
-Improves pedestrian access, comfort, and safety along well-traveled paths between the MBTA Fenway Station and the neighborhood.
-Improves conditions for vehicles entering and exiting the Site at the intersection of Fullerton Street and Brookline Avenue.
-Contributes $100,000 towards the long-term maintenance fund of the reconstructed Audubon Circle Road Improvements.
-Construction of a multi-use path adjacent to the building.

Environmental & Infrastructure Benefits:
-Improves water quality, reduces runoff volume, and controls peak rates of runoff by incorporating new stormwater management and treatment systems.
-Reduces heat island effects by incorporating green roofs.
-LEED Gold certification of the existing building and expansion.
-Encourages alternative transportation and reduces Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions by providing appropriate bicycle storage facilities on-site.
-Mitigates temporary construction-related impacts through the implementation of a Construction Management Plan.

Economic and Community Benefits:
-Enhances the economy within the Fenway neighborhood by meeting the increasing demand for office and laboratory space, providing new job opportunities, and serving as a source of customers for local retail and service establishments.
-Creating approximately 3,000 new transit-served office and retail jobs
-Creates temporary construction jobs in all trades.
-Creates a public art program for the new public open spaces, estimated to be valued at up to $1,000,000.
-Contributes a total of $100,000 to the Emerald Necklace Conservancy to support projects and programming in the Back Bay Fens area of the Emerald Necklace park system.

Wow, maybe those 3x3 squares are double height after all...

jFYpRD4.jpg

edit: From the design document, it will be 208 feet tall, so ~18 stories total.

edit: From the design document, it will be 208 feet tall, so ~18 stories total.

Look at the first picture I posted. The 208' doesn't include a ginormous mechanical top. In the second pic, the 208' doesn't include the open looking section at the top (where the flag gets to) or the white bar above that.

Wow, maybe those 3x3 squares are double height after all...

Comparing the render and drawing, each 3x3 square is one floor and each story (including floors and ceilings) averages about 14 feet ((208.5 - 50) / 11). So not quite double height, but still roomy ceilings. Considering that some of this is lab, that's not surprising.

14 stories plus mechanicals.

Look at the first picture I posted. The 208' doesn't include a ginormous mechanical top. In the second pic, the 208' doesn't include the open looking section at the top (where the flag gets to) or the white bar above that.

Yeah, my bad, I must have glazed over the numbers in that first pic. So by a rough pixel extrapolation, we're looking somewhere 250'-260' total height including mechanical top.

Crossing the Longfellow Bridge today, I realized how prominent this will be. You can sort of see the Veridian, definitely see the Pierce, but the Landmark Center tower is a noticeable peak. This will block it and go a ways beyond it.

I'm so glad the Fenway is developing into a muti purpose neighborhood. This is the first step to making it 24 hours (or as close as that will come in Boston).

I'm so glad the Fenway is developing into a muti purpose neighborhood. This is the first step to making it 24 hours (or as close as that will come in Boston).

Thoroughly confused. A 9-5 office & lab building will be a first step to making it 24 hours??

Thoroughly confused. A 9-5 office & lab building will be a first step to making it 24 hours??

No, the office & lab building makes the neighborhood more multi-purposed, and making the neighborhood fully multi-purposed is the first step to making it 24 hours. If restaurants are active all day and evening instead of only being active after work and around gametime then yes, that's a step towards 24 hours.

And besides that, office & lab buildings are hardly 9-5. Not in 2017...

One of the best things the Fenway has going for it from the 24 hour perspective is its proximity to Longwood. TONS of Longwood workers live in the Fenway, and they are frequently up and about (in their scrubs) when "9-5ers" are in bed.

I'm disappointed that in this iteration, they're apparently doing nothing with that little parking lot by the T stop, in front of Bed Bath and Beyond. The prior iteration replaced it with a turnaround drop off loop and some landscaping, which maybe wasn't great, but was something of an improvement.

That little parking lot is an active plaza wanting to happen. There's an incredible stream of foot traffic through there at all hours, ready to activate it. I'm sure BB&B would flip their shit at losing that parking and I understand why. But it's really an anti-urban thing to have a parking lot there right next to a T stop.

If I owned that property, I'd rather have a beer garden-like operation in the BB&B space, one that could spill out into the front part after the parking lot was removed. And in nice weather, especially game day, have the perimeter lined with food trucks. I don't know enough about rental pricing for a BB&B type retailer versus a beer garden to say this makes financial sense, but I'd sure want to give it a good look. Those home goods stores seem like exactly the sort to be under assault from online shopping.

As it is laid out now, there's a stream of potential customers filing out of the T stop, right past the property, and the first thing they're greeted by is a fairly dark shitty little parking lot, that makes them want to just get past it asap. Once a pedestrian is in that "let's get away from here" state of mind, a certain momentum sets in that is not beneficial to the rest of the property. I'd rather have people streaming off that T stop and thinking, "hey, this looks like fun, what's the hurry?" Even if they don't stop in right there, they're at least not just trying to get the hell away to someplace else.

This of course could get fixed later, after the other aspects of the development happen. Might be better done when a BB&B lease expires.

I'm disappointed that in this iteration, they're apparently doing nothing with that little parking lot by the T stop, in front of Bed Bath and Beyond. The prior iteration replaced it with a turnaround drop off loop and some landscaping, which maybe wasn't great, but was something of an improvement.

I feel like this parking lot and around/on top of the existing garage are ripe for a Phase 3 down the road.

I feel like this parking lot and around/on top of the existing garage are ripe for a Phase 3 down the road.

My thoughts as well. This view of the massing certainly makes it look like they're saving room for a Phase III:

qnjBacr.jpg

A Phase III could spruce up Fenway station as well. That could be turned into an enclosed, fare gated station without too much effort.

Yeah, my bad, I must have glazed over the numbers in that first pic. So by a rough pixel extrapolation, we're looking somewhere 250'-260' total height including mechanical top.

yes; i didn't notice DZH's post; pixels render exactly 250'.

I wonder if Panera and Blick will slide over into the vacant former-Best Buy space during construction. That'd make sense...

EDIT: Ninja'd by a few people...

Being that I am a graduate of the WIT architecture program (and current student at the BAC), I sincerely hope that Blick slides over into the Best Buy space. This is one of only two supplies stores in the fenway area, and honestly this had a much bigger selection than the Utrecht(now Blick) over at Symphony. Losing that store would be a huge loss for the arts and design oriented programs in the area.

Being that I am a graduate of the WIT architecture program (and current student at the BAC), I sincerely hope that Blick slides over into the Best Buy space. This is one of only two supplies stores in the fenway area, and honestly this had a much bigger selection than the Utrecht(now Blick) over at Symphony. Losing that store would be a huge loss for the arts and design oriented programs in the area.

Some of the renders show a Blick logo on the first floor of the new cinema area. I think they're expecting it to almost stay in place.

Back