401 Park Drive (née Landmark Center) | Fenway

Re: Landmark Center Expansion

I'm imagining a city made up entirely of landscrapers built on landscrapers, at varied heights and angles, a sort of modular landscraper jungle that actually ends up pretty dense and tall after all the layers are built out.

I'm imagining a city made up entirely of landscrapers built on landscrapers, at varied heights and angles, a sort of modular landscraper jungle that actually ends up pretty dense and tall after all the layers are built out.

I think a famous architect (Corbusier?) actually proposed this once.

You could start with this...

dusk-at-cubist-castle.jpg

I could propose the garden of eden and someone would complain.

Well, gardens of eden are filled with temptation...

Again, that larger rendering just confirms what a contextless disaster the whole plan is.

128 ribbion glass trash with generic glass box on top. Really? How could that possibly be a good idea? It would be a terrible idea out in some exburb, but to place it in the middle of Boston, in the literal shadow of one of the loveliest buildings in the entire city, sharing the name of one of the loveliest buildings in the entire city is well beyond the bounds of good taste.

I'm not inclined to blame the developer. They're in it to make money, not to argue with the city for a decade. In this business, arguing costs lots of money.

It's the culmination of Boston's slide into architectural mediocrity that comes from a broken, slow, piecemeal planning process that rewards City Hall connections more than vision.

We're talking about a planning process that told the Dainty Dot developers to make sure their plan was boring - lest it detract attention from the patch of grass in the highway median outside. In a functional city, that would have been followed by a round of laughter at the joke. Who would crush artistic vision and good urban design that would contribute something real to a city? Well Boston would. I'm guessing there was only an awkward silence and perhaps some shuffling out of the room after that directive came down.

That alone tells you everything you need to know about to what degree the city has lost the proverbial plot. The mindset and process is so dysfunctional that anything of real value that appears is simply stunning for the simple fact it was allowed to exist at all.

Find the most unimaginative corner of the urban universe. Go there in your mind. The most sedate, banal little office park you can think of. Acres of parking. Picture empty stretches of grass and shrubs. A little island of a style I'lll call (with more than a little hyperbole) "Pre-Lunch Architecture". Now find the largest thing there.

Good. You now know what you would be allowed to build in Boston. Don't forget to bring the parking.

In the past, you had to tear down the West End to get the new West End. Now you can simply throw the new Fenway on top of the old Fenway. Smother it in value-engineering. Pretend that you're not repeating the same mistakes of Urban Renewal.

Here on the banks of the Muddy, we have the city running the same river twice.

Last edited:

LOMEX: Underrated. Would have kept SoHo from becoming a mall, and given us some cool Paul Rudolph shit.

^ Is it too late to "LOMEX" the Greenway?

Van, I'm not expounding the virtues of this project and it's impact on Lower Manhattan. Better that it didn't happen. Same for I-695 here in Boston.

That said, it is a pretty interesting concept to cover highway infrastructure with housing. Might work for the Pike. The A-frame shape would mitigate shadows.

That said, it is a pretty interesting concept to cover highway infrastructure with housing. Might work for the Pike.
Isn't that a description of Columbus Center?

Seriously people, seriously?

Would have kept this part of New York way more interesting, you have to admit...

Would have kept this part of New York way more interesting, you have to admit...

No I won't. I hate what these areas have become but that doesn't mean they should have an elevated highway running through or worse a crazy spaceship city built on top of it.

I think a famous architect (Corbusier?) actually proposed this once.

I think Corbusier proposed massive city towers all at the same height with parks seperating each tower.

Yes, but that wasn't the only idea he had in the course of his career.

^ Yes. And his Spirit continues to drool.

Re: Fenway Area Redevelopment

Looking to expand his empire
Boston developer Steve Samuels closes in on $530m deal to buy marquee Landmark Center

Developer Steve Samuels is said to be negotiating the purchase of the Landmark Center for about $530 million.
By Casey Ross
Globe Staff / November 19, 2010

Boston developer Steve Samuels is near a deal to buy the massive Landmark Center office and retail complex near Fenway Park, an acquisition that would give him another marquee property in a neighborhood where he already owns many of the largest buildings.

Landmark Center would be Samuels?s biggest deal yet, giving him control of a 1.5 million-square-foot complex that is home to Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts and retail stores such as Best Buy.

Executives with knowledge of the deal said Samuels is negotiating a purchase from the owner, Abbey Group, for about $530 million.

Neither Samuels nor Abbey Group, which spent $115 million renovating the former Sears, Roebuck & Co. warehouse into the Landmark Center in the 1990s, would comment.

?We are in discussions regarding Landmark Center, but as of now nothing is finalized,?? they said in a joint statement issued by a spokesman.

Abby Group has a proposal to add an eight-story extension for offices pending before Boston officials.

Samuels has been a key developer behind much of the recent activity that has turned this portion of the Fenway into a much livelier area.

He owns about a dozen properties in the neighborhood and has redeveloped several.

He built the Trilogy apartment and retail complex across from Landmark Center and 1330 Boylston, another large residential and retail building just down the street.

He has also revitalized several buildings that now host restaurants and retailers, such as the Guitar Center, Tasty Burger, and Basho, a sushi restaurant, all on Boylston Street.

He is also proposing to build 150 apartments, stores, and offices on the site of the former Goodyear Tire store and two adjoining properties.

Samuels is also in a joint venture with developer Steve Weiner to try to buy the Howard Johnson hotel property on Boylston Street. The pair had previously floated the idea of replacing it with a new hotel and adjoining residences and offices.

Abbey Group triggered this latest revival of the Fenway with the unusual renovation of the Sears warehouse, which had been shuttered for more than a decade. Its redevelopment cleared the way for a 13-screen cinema and the retail stores that now anchor the site.

If Abbey strikes a deal to sell, then one major wrinkle Samuels would soon face is the future of Blue Cross Blue Shield, whose lease ends in 2015.

The area is seen as attractive for office development because of its proximity to many of the city?s largest hospitals and medical research institutions in the Longwood Medical Area.

Abbey Group, which is co-owner of the Boston Celtics, has recently struggled with its large 45 Province St. development in Downtown Crossing, a 32-story condominium tower that opened in the midst of the real estate downturn.

So far, Abbey Group has sold about 25 of 137 units on the site, with several others under agreement, according to representatives of the firm.

It recently secured a three-year loan extension on the property from Helaba Bank.

http://www.boston.com/business/arti...oses_in_on__530m_deal_to_buy_landmark_center/

Keep an eye out for the filing...

"More apartments proposed for Fenway"

By: Thomas Grillo

Samuels & Associates is preparing its next major development in Boston’s Fenway neighborhood with construction of three apartments towers at the Landmark Center.

In a presentation to the Audubon Circle Neighborhood Association on Tuesday night, Peter Sougarides, executive vice president of development at Samuels, said the company plans to raze the Landmark’s Center’s rear parking lot and replace it with 500 apartments and a supermarket. The 1,400 parking space garage would be rebuilt underground to free up the space for the complex. The project’s ground floor retail would be anchored by a 70,000-square-foot Wegmans. The apartment buildings would range in size from 10 to 25 stories.

“I am enthusiastic about this project, it’s very promising,” said Patricia Johnson, co-president of the Audubon Circle Neighborhood. “Bringing Wegmans made people cheer because having a grocery store is such a gift to the neighborhood since it won’t be used by Red Sox fans or suburbanites.” Samuels is planning to file its proposal with the Boston Redevelopment Authority as early as this week.

As part of the apartment project, the several dozen parking spaces in front of the Landmark Center would be replaced with green space. The creation of more green coincides with the federal government’s $93 million Muddy River restoration project that will re-open parts of the river and make connections between the Riverway and Avenue Louis Pasteur.

Samuels bought the 1 million-square-foot Landmark Center building in 2011 for $453 million. The Boston-based company has a history of winning over neighborhood activists in the Fenway. In 2004, they broke ground on the $200 million Trilogy project. The one-million-square-foot, mixed-use development on 2.2 acres brought 576 units of luxury apartments, 42,000 square of retail space and underground parking.

Four years later, Samuels opened 1330 Boylston. The $140 million mixed-use project became the new 90,000-square-foot home of the Fenway Community Health Center, 215 apartments and 15,000 square feet of retail space. Samuels is on track for at least two more projects there. Foundation was recently poured for Boylston West at 1325-1341 Boylston St. for a $315 million development. When completed, the 700,000-square-foot project will include 300 apartments, 165,000 square feet of retail space, including a Target store, and 230,000 square feet of office space.

Earlier this year, Samuels filed plans for “The Point” to be built on a triangular parcel at the corner of Brookline Avenue and Boylston Street that will serve as the gateway to the Fenway. The $175 million development will include 320 apartments in a 22-story building. For more on Samuels check out“Boylston St. area targeted for nearly $1B in development”

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2013/08/more-apartments-proposed-for-fenway.html

Last edited:

EVERYTHING in that article is just fantastic.

Yeah, it sounds too good to be true. Like an Onion article mocking Boston development.

But it's Samuels, and I think the whole neighborhood trusts them for obvious reasons.

Back