45 Province St | Downtown Crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 45 Province St

The question is, why black Alucobond? There had to be a more attractive alternative somewhere around the same price point.

Alucobond is apparently mandatory in all new buildings. Take Northeastern's new dorms for example. They have little bits of the exterior carved out just to facilitate Alucobond installation. It's ridiculous.

The material wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't used in anything and everything. Especially the silver.

It seems to be especially popular with car dealerships.

I don't have a problem with Alucobond, so long as it isn't used just for the sake of having silver (any other colors). Although, it would be much nicer to see steel or aluminum or copper or bronze plating. They'd age very nicely.

Don't bitch about fat squat boxes in the city and then hang these developers because they did what they could with a skinny building. Yea the wall blows, if you want a mini one beacon just say I

Even if the wall is necessary, it's on the wrong side of the building.

Even if the wall is necessary, it's on the wrong side of the building.

That's a good point, i wonder why they didnt put the core on the other side of the building? A view to Beacon Hill / Charles River would have been MUCH more attractive. Especially now since the Bromfeild building may go up.

^ Sounds almost so logical that I have to assume that BRA had something to do with it.

Seriously though, it was a pick your poison propisition. The value of the lower floor units facing the Common wouldn't be marketable at all as they are directly across the alley from the Parker House.....it would have been 8-9 floors of complete loss, as opposed to 30 floors of partial loss. Someone pulled out their HP-12c real quick and figured out which made sense and that is what we got.

It's not perfect, but it's far better than the alternatives.

The quality of finishes of the rest of the building was brought to you by capitalism. I can imagine what this building would look like as a public project and boy does that make the West End look good in comparison.

It's not perfect, but it's far better than the alternatives.

...which means we need to tolerate it but not let it run amok. Menino knew this when he intervened with the Hotel Commonwealth. We have a BRA to prevent this crap.

DSC01913.jpg

Slim
DSC01914.jpg

colors look strange in those pics. but a great angle, and a great building!

patriots_1228 said:
colors look strange in those pics.

45 P was getting blasted by the late-afternoon sun in those pics, which, combined with the direct (versus top-down) angle of the light and the pale orange tone of the winter sun, can render buildings quite strangely.

Balcony spacing makes the building look gap-toothed.

^ I agree. Skin looks like a veneer.

I walked by the site today and noticed they have recreated the littlest bar multipane picture window on the site of the former littlest bar. The facade looks the same as it did (sans the littlest bar sign). The muntins are painted red just as they were before demolition. Also, as I believe previously mentioned in this thread, the adjacent steps and decorative iron work above the space are still there (or have been reinstalled).

I'm sure that what ever goes in there will be quite at night, no bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back