45 Province St | Downtown Crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 45 Province St

The NIMBYs failed us on this one.

Van, you think that massive swath of black extending more than 30 stories is nitpicking?

Considering everything else about this building? Yes. Am I happy with it, no. But in the grand scheme it really doesn't bother me.

I have yet to see, in person or in photo, a shot where this swath of black oblivion jumps out at me as much as say, the precast grayness of Fan Pier.

Does that black swath line up with any possible addition to the building across the street?

I'm shocked that they didn't just clad that wall in a reflective glass.

Within the past decade "Just fill the space with Alucobond on it and cal it a day." became the unofficial policy of nearly every architectural firm operating in Boston.

I know were all sick of the pix's of this building but...........from yesterday!
101-1.jpg
103-3.jpg
this around the corner! Almost looks like the Hancock
102-2.jpg

Within the past decade "Just fill the space with Alucobond on it and cal it a day." became the unofficial policy of nearly every architectural firm operating in Boston.

At this point, bring on the Alucobond. :)

Oh....really? :( Its "natural" unpainted silver would have been better...or maybe multi-colored.

Did I mention cladding it in glass? :)

Alucobond - the vinyl siding of the commercial real estate world. Ugh.

The irony is that the windowed side is slated to get blocked by another tower, while the blank wall side will forever be exposed.

Still amazed the developer didn't want to sell the amazing State House / Common views.

the big black wall,today
207.jpg
208.jpg
210.jpg
This is'nt the only blank wall on this building!
211.jpg

The less this makes sense aesthetically or economically, the more I think the developers and architects just wanted to give Beacon Hill a giant, architectural middle finger.

Oh....really? :( Its "natural" unpainted silver would have been better...or maybe multi-colored.

Silver Alucobond is one of the most over-used materials in recent memory.

Did I mention cladding it in glass? :)

I wouldn't mind the clear, or semi-frosted glass with the colored backing that you occasionally see on a smaller scale. You can see some examples of it in the Cambridge Developments thread.

Alucobond - the vinyl siding of the commercial real estate world. Ugh.

Exactly. What gets me is that it seems as though a little of it is included in the facade of every new building - even when it doesn't make a bit of sense to have it there. Why bother tarnishing a beautiful structure such as Archstone North Point when it doesn't even begin to fit with the motif? It's almost as though architects feel as though some must be included to get past the BRA review.

The less this makes sense aesthetically or economically, the more I think the developers and architects just wanted to give Beacon Hill a giant, architectural middle finger.

You're probably right.

I'm going to be very optimistic on this one, and hold out that the huge black wall will take a hint from the blank walls of the past. Either cover it in advertisements, or my number one choice, a massive mural.

The city/developer could hold a competition amongst art students in Boston to come up with a design, and obviously, the winner would have his/her mural painted (applied) to the Great Black Wall, and maybe get a cash prize or scholarship of some sort. And not to mention an entire city worth of recognition.

I would hate to see a 30 story mural or advertisement on our skyline IMO!

There must be a reason for the blank wall, right? Obviously the developer would have been able to drive much higher values if that side of the building had windows. Otherwise, this is a huge mistake. And even if a building is eventually going to block that view, it would be in their best interest to create the views anyway, if only temporary.

My understanding (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that because this is such a skinny building, the elevator shafts had to be pressed against an outside wall. Thus the need for a large blank wall.

The question is, why black Alucobond? There had to be a more attractive alternative somewhere around the same price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back