50 Liberty @ Fan Pier | 50 Liberty Drive | Seaport

nothing groundbreaking here (no pun intended), but this one's coming together quite nicely imho. great pix as always, beeline.

I see no indications from the pix that the record tide came over the seawall at 50 Liberty.

I could not find "over seawall' situations along Fan Pier or all the way to the Fish Pier and it was hard to tell if it even went over the seawall the rest of the way to the Blue Hill Pavillion. I think the main problem was the drains backing up on to the roadway and sidewalks.

They did a great job cleaning up the mess. This is was infront of Legal Seafood.

https://flic.kr/p/JkW7HF

Beeline, thanks for being an 'Arctic' explorer on a day fit for polar bears. I see no indications from the pix that the record tide came over the seawall at 50 Liberty.

It definitely did, but it just looks like there was no visible damage. For reference, I've seen photos of the water level coming up to near the top of the fire pit next door at 22 during the peak of high tide.

The marble is different, but it just hits my “tacky” button.

Will be interesting to see how it gets on with age. For me, what is far tackier is the exterior accent lighting scheme they chose (they placed round led spot lights on the balconies). It's even worse when they're set to multi-color Skittles mode as in the photo linked here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tua6PQf1BHEwexU2VTzumVX5KaXBKZ1l/view?usp=sharing

If anything, I think horizontal strip lighting would've been better.

i dunno -- i'll give the skittles lights (good description. nicely done!) a chance. we've been so long with any type of adventurious, "fun" exterior lighting in this city, it may just take a while for such things to not feel out of place.

I dig the "skittles" lighting feature. Lots of other cities are building buildings with cool lights on them. Also going out on the weekend is more exciting when the place your heading is lit up from far away and looks like it actually has things going on after dark. I was flying to and from Boston for a while, usually at night and you could hardly tell theres a city here because most of the buildings are so dark.

I only saw this for a split second but put me in the camp of liking that marble. It read as a high quality product and gave a level of up close interest to the facade that is exceptionally rare these days.

Couldn't agree more about the cheap concrete pavers...penny wise, pound foolish. These will not age well. The same mistake is being made in downtown crossing.

Who says the pavers are cheap? They are much more resource intensive to install and it's taken them a long time to install them. It also matches a lot of the pavers used in other parts of the Seaport. I'd much rather prefer these than concrete sidewalks and asphalt roadways.

Who says the pavers are cheap? They are much more resource intensive to install and it's taken them a long time to install them. It also matches a lot of the pavers used in other parts of the Seaport. I'd much rather prefer these than concrete sidewalks and asphalt roadways.

I found that to be an interesting take as well. As you say, they appear very much the same as the pavers in the other parts of the vicinity (which do not look cheap). Looking from further away or higher up, there's a clear pattern and design with the different colors as well.

I believe closings are supposed to start in late March. I wonder how close they are to hitting that. Still looks like quite a bit left to be done, but then again, most of the time-consuming interior work may be close to wrapping up.

Pavers can be removed and easily reinstalled by utility work, rather than destroying the concrete 2 months after it's installed and leaving an asphalt patch for 22 years

The marble is different, but it just hits my “tacky” button.

That "tacky button" is why everything in Boston is either shit brown, alucobond or a blue glass cube. No one is willing to challenge the status quo out of fear of upsetting the pearl-clutching biddies who've appointed themselves arbiters of taste and fashion.

Back