50 Liberty @ Fan Pier | 50 Liberty Drive | Seaport

From @FanPierBoston:

"The Pavilion will serve visitors at Fan Pier Park and include a cafe and restrooms."

They posted a photo with a view from the top as well (sorry I can't link).

From @FanPierBoston:

"The Pavilion will serve visitors at Fan Pier Park and include a cafe and restrooms."

They posted a photo with a view from the top as well (sorry I can't link).

DWke7cjUQAIK28h.jpg:small

[Tweet]

Will the developer ultimately pull out all the old wooden pilings around this pier? Seems a liability, with potential damage to watercraft if they naturally "uproot". Also surprised this hasn't been done extensively around Northern Ave bridge.

(thanks for all the photos, Beeline)

The Hudson River and East River still have a ton of wooden pilings from old piers - no one seems to mind or care in NYC. Unless there's something significantly different between them and Boston Harbor (regulation/construction related) I doubt they will be taken out.

I've said this before: this building is cheap garbage masquerading as fancy. In the second photo from 3/3, look at how the balconies don't course with the stone veneer in the same place at each level. The first balcony floats somewhere in the middle, while the second one, above it, is bottom aligned. They don't even align on the same level! The right-hand second balcony goes back to hitting somewhere in the center of the stone course. I don't know who made the mistake but it's just so lazy and sloppy.

Further, look at how the low volume meets the overhang of the tall volume. You have a top course of "stone", then a course of mechanical grilles over the windows. But when it turns the corner under the overhang, this second stone course collides with the metal cladding of the underside and those are misaligned too!

Anyone who's worked in architecture knows there's just too much to keep track of and too little time, and things fall through the cracks. But these contribute to a general feeling of disharmony and a sense of cheapness that's endemic to so much of the new stuff going up all over town. Would it really be the end of the world for everyone to slow down and just get the details right?

By contrast, the building on the left in the first shot from 3/3 is much more handsome. Restraint never hurt anybody.

Idk man I think it came out ok and we have much bigger problems right now.

Idk man I think it came out ok and we have much bigger problems right now.

what is being referred to here? Isnt this an architecture forum? Should we stop being critical of lazy and sloppy design because of "bigger problems". This building is not one of the most prominent buildings that Boston has due to its highly visible location and as cadet says ... there is no excuse for an owner and designer not demanding of themselves the respect that a building in this location deserves. It is done like a fast cheep fabric building (nothing wrong with that) except it is not part of the fabric ... it is a part of the face of our city.
Shame.

cca

Idk I just don't think it came out bad but thats just my opinion.

This building came out fine. I think it's one of those rare examples where the final product is better than the renderings. The real shame is it's neighbor at 22.

22 I think came out fine too but just should have had a glass crown like 50. Thats the only real problem with it, although a big one.

22 I think came out fine too but just should have had a glass crown like 50. Thats the only real problem with it, although a big one.

The good news is that it shouldn't be all that noticeable once the office building behind 50 is built.

The good news is that it shouldn't be all that noticeable once the office building behind 50 is built.

The crown will always be visible from the water. It definitely should have been see through glass like this tower, but hey.

The crown will always be visible from the water. It definitely should have been see through glass like this tower, but hey.

Agreed. It would've made a big difference.

On another note, the metal "sculpture" thing in front of 50 looks like absolute garbage. It never looked great and appeared out of place in the renders, and I wondered how it would like in person. And now I know. And it looks like turd. The only silver lining is that it looks so dented already at the seams of each piece that no one will notice if it actually does get damaged.

Back