50 Post Office Sq (Fomer Verizon Building Tower)

Re: Verizon Building Tower

What is happening to the little museum?

I heard the museum definitely is going to Bowdoin. They have a space all carved out for it on the first floor. I'm not sure if it is/will be open to the public. It should be, but that building doesn't have a security guard and I can't see Verizon paying one to baby sit such a small exhibit. I'll try to poke around tomorrow to see if I can see anything.
I'm less sure about the Mural. I can't picture any space in that building large enough to hold it. Unless they chop it up. :eek:

So this will be a commercial condo, not a residential one?

Now I too am confused, as that PDF definitely says office/commercial, not residential.

As for the CVS, isn't this one of the ones without a pharmacy, which the company is slowly closing?

So this will be a commercial condo, not a residential one?

It appears to be that way. and yes the folks who heard the "rumors" did say condos and yes that was interpreted as "residential" and Pardon my ignorance I had never heard of "commercial Condo's ?"
is this something new ?

I think commercial condo simply means instead of renting, the occupants outright buy their space.

Commercial and office space can have a condominium form of ownership, just like residences can.

cool.

See ya do learn something new everyday. Thanks guys ! ! !

scan0004.jpg
scan0003.jpg
scan0002.jpg
scan0001.jpg

oh I like that.....

well done geometric insets can make for nice designs....(Like the Filene's building)

Last edited:

There is alot of telephone equipment in this building, cant imagine it will be cheap to move and where will it go?

That looks pretty sweet. ANyone know if this building could support a tower on top? With the set backs a tall, thin tower on the top could turn this stump into a Chrysler-esq landmark.

lol @ toby and the stay puft man... I guess no one else picked up on that, or no one has a sense of humor.

There is alot of telephone equipment in this building, cant imagine it will be cheap to move and where will it go?
From the .pdf posted earlier:
Verizon will retain two Units on the 1st floor, two Units on the
2nd floor, one Unit on the 3rd floor and one Unit on the 4th floor.
These Units will house Verizon?s telecommunications switching
equipment as well as office space. In addition, Verizon will
maintain the Cable Vault Unit in a portion of the B1 basement
level that houses Verizon?s telecommunications vault and other
spaces used by Verizon in its telecommunications business

yeah a lot of the equipment is staying. It is the "hub" so to say for other CLEC'S Certified Local Exchange Carriers. Sprint, T-moble, Charter, VZ Wireless, Broadview. ETC ETC so that stuff has to stay put. But the artist renderings are way cool ! ! !

and yeah I totally missed the Stay puff marshmallow joke. ha ha

good one. It sort of does have that feel to it. : )

I would love to hop up on the roof but its so not worth losing my job over it. LOL !

Are there any renderings of the Franklins St side, or will that remain as is?

That looks pretty sweet. ANyone know if this building could support a tower on top? With the set backs a tall, thin tower on the top could turn this stump into a Chrysler-esq landmark.
The tower was killed!

I was excited at the thought of it becoming a residential tower. I could picture one of the Art Deco buildings along Central Park. Terraces in the setbacks, view of one of the world's great urban parks. I might have moved for that one!

ok 1 pic.

of the lobby.

3971090759_da34cb941d.jpg

with LARGER size here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmack24/3971090759/sizes/l/

Sorry for the poor quality I snapped it quick on "auto mode" because the guard was right there. ha ha ha

and this neon sign who knows what the fate will be.
They are closing our cafeteria after my 10 years I have been there. It was probably there a lot longer before I got there. It was prolly updated in the 70's or 80's

And more recently they did an addition 2 years ago which included the new neon sign.

3971090781_ed1e994c42.jpg

Again here is the large version

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmack24/3971090781/sizes/l/

Back