50 Post Office Sq (Fomer Verizon Building Tower)

Re: Verizon Building Tower

Yeah, what the heck...

I don't think its another building, I believe what you are seeing are the actual windows that meet the interior, wheras the stuff they removed was built over it since glazing was in its infancy at the time and probably not weather tight. Kind of like windows facing an interior atrium

brown.jpg

Don't know how accurate this is, but I found it while looking for older pictures of the building (of which there are hardly any - it's like this building didn't exist until PO Sq park opened.)

I see no Bell System logo in that rendering. Is it really going away?

I don't think its another building, I believe what you are seeing are the actual windows that meet the interior, wheras the stuff they removed was built over it since glazing was in its infancy at the time and probably not weather tight. Kind of like windows facing an interior atrium

Strange that it would be in entirely different style than the rest of the exterior, no? I am surprised there are any windows at all there.

I swear I remember seeing a photo of the building with a different facade at one point, but I'm not having any luck finding it.

I feel like they are trying to ruin this antique.

This should be a "CRIME"

Last edited:

What garbage. This is architectural vandalism. Those responsible for this ought to be ashamed.

Too be fair this building was built in 1949, not exactly Art Deco's hay day. I've always referred to it as a Faux Deco building. I love Deco buildings but this one never really lit my fire.

6 Bowdoin Sq is the real deal, though that's been mostly gutted now.

Strange that it would be in entirely different style than the rest of the exterior, no? I am surprised there are any windows at all there.

It was never meant to be seen, so they grabbed the cheapest steel double-hungs they could find.

I'm also not 100% convinced the part they removed was original. First it looks closer to the po-mo interpretation of deco than the real thing, and second it matches those aforementioned phone booths so closely I'm suspicious. I am basing this entirely off the google street view, so I could be wrong. My guess is it probably had an understated geometric patterned glazing similar to the old Hancock, which was then redone to "improve" the building when they renovated PO square, similarly to how it is being "improved" now...

I'll agree with Rif however, it does appear they are ruining the bit of dignity this building had. The new doorway treatment is inappropriate, and the removal of the bell system logos is akin to removing a builders mark. Even Verizon didn't remove it (even though the logo is used by AT&T).

I'm also not 100% convinced the part they removed was original. First it looks closer to the po-mo interpretation of deco than the real thing, and second it matches those aforementioned phone booths so closely I'm suspicious. I am basing this entirely off the google street view, so I could be wrong. My guess is it probably had an understated geometric patterned glazing similar to the old Hancock, which was then redone to "improve" the building when they renovated PO square, similarly to how it is being "improved" now...

I have a feeling you are right. I'm asking around if anyone remembers this building from the 50's-60's. No luck yet.

Who said they're removing the Bell logo? The pic on the prior page still shows it, and the pic Statler posted is from an older, defunct proposal. I mean, has anyone walked by to confirm? Does anyone even know what they're actually doing to it? Breathe into a paper bag folks.

With that building all glowing inside, it sort of reminds me of the haunted apartment building in Ghostbusters. "There is no Dana, there is only Zuul".

dana.jpg

brown.jpg

Don't know how accurate this is, but I found it while looking for older pictures of the building (of which there are hardly any - it's like this building didn't exist until PO Sq park opened.)

Out with the old, in with the new.

1mHt8YF.jpg

oh and due to construction on the 6th floor the employees on that floor were transferred to Bowdoin due to health concerns. Dust, Heat, ETC. A few agencies were called in to verify the conditions. All conditions were "normal" but the employees were still concerned and asked to be moved. So off they go.

So that floor is now empty and the fate of the employees on 3,4,5 are still up in the air.
Floor 1 is retail and floor 2 is for the CO. I am on the 3rd floor.

So stay tuned as they say.

Back