50 Post Office Sq (Fomer Verizon Building Tower)

Re: Verizon Building Tower

Sorry no new information on this tower but...

They just put up a new sign on the 6 Bowdoin Sq Verizon building that reads:

"Verizon Innovation in Communications Museum"

So I'm guessing that is where the Bell Lab museum will end up. I'll post more details if I learn any more.

Last edited:

Has Banksy ever done any work here?

I would be shocked but delighted if so.

I know this is an old thread, and czsz's post predates the work (and probably is well aware), but Bansky reportedly did two back in the spring (Essex Street and Chinatown and Essex in Cambridge).

That's great news -- I look forward to seeing a reopened (and hopefully expanded) telephone museum. Let's hope the mural also comes over from the Post Office Square buildling?

oh yeah so no real new news but all of the upper floors are totally empty.
Floors 8-17 will remain vacant until new tenants come in

when that comes who knows.

So they created a "mega center" if you will on the 3rd -5th floors.
Service Reps (approx 300) are gonna be on the 3rd floor and techs will be on the
5th floor.

Pretty crazy stuff. Cramming all these people who used to be spread across 17 floors is gonna be interesting to say the least.

I move tomorrow from 11th floor-3rd floor.

Some pics of the abandoned floors.

4973398251_ed936c318c_b.jpg

4973397979_5ddc00047e_b.jpg

4973399147_67626f6204_o.jpg

4848263502_ec0576b1ae.jpg

4848263748_386b26422b.jpg

4848263210_7f9589b6f6.jpg

And I am sure gonna miss these views.............

2241193734_c4c1cbe30c_z.jpg

4974016764_143d2c6e88_z.jpg

So they created a "mega center" if you will on the 3rd -5th floors.
Service Reps (approx 300) are gonna be on the 3rd floor and techs will be on the
5th floor.

Pretty crazy stuff. Cramming all these people who used to be spread across 17 floors is gonna be interesting to say the least.

]

I had the same experience last summer at the wash post. 3 seperate builds consolidated into the one downtown building.

What will be on floors 4, 6-7?

What will be on floors 4, 6-7?

Hey Statler.

yeah apparently everything is on a need to know basis. They are very tight lipped about the project.

but they are re-habbing those floors so I can only assume more reps / training areas etc.

GMACK24 said:

Looking at this gorgeous image (love it, GMACK!), I notice how the parking ramps are set up pretty much the same as you'd find over at the Greenway, but are well-hidden by vegetation that has now had 20+ years to mature.

So my question is did P.O. Square Park feel as barren when originally laid out as the Greenway currently does, or was enough money poured in that it became a lush paradise right from the get-go?

That ramp is much narrower than the Greenway ones, I think. And it stays off to the side of the park rather than dominating its center. The big difference is probably due to the fact that the Greenway ramps were engineered for interstate highway standards and not worked sensitively into the design by landscape architects.

All true, but I still wonder just how exposed they were when the park was first laid out.

Also, note the freaking pine trees. Evergreens are apparently banned elsewhere in Boston

The evergreens in PO Square Park make it spectacular. Evidently the Greenway Conservancy feels that skinny little gingko trees are native to this area and not conifers, maple, birch or ash. Very sad that we have such little minds in key positions in this city.

^^^you need to do a little fact-checking with your horticultural guide: there's not a single ginkgo between north station and south station. The wharf parcels are rife with a variety of tree species including evergreens and birch and ash and maple and sycamore and locust and tulip and redbud and oak...and the much-pined-for: elm.

Sorry no new information on this tower but...

They just put up a new sign on the 6 Bowdoin Sq Verizon building that reads:

"Verizon Innovation in Communications Museum"

So I'm guessing that is where the Bell Lab museum will end up. I'll post more details if I learn any more.

5034896894_bda6a1bb8c_b.jpg

5034276359_eca14ed25b_b.jpg

Again a bit off topic but if anyone is interested in seeing some more (albeit crappy) pictures of the 6 Bowdoin Sq building (including some interior shots) I've posted some here:

6 Bowdoin Sq.

Sorry I didn't label them. If you have any questions about what you are looking at just PM me and if I know the answer I'll let you know.

All true, but I still wonder just how exposed they were when the park was first laid out.

I recall when the park was finished they were able to get fairly mature trees to plant, so that the ramps were pretty well hidden from the get-go. Of course comparisons with the RKG are strained inasmuch as the ramps are for a garage and not for a major tunnel.

Death of the Phone Booth

5578039967_c4ced68d5f.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmack24/5578039967/

There are about 12 of these Art Deco Phone Booths around 185 Franklin Street.
I walked up and got a closer look and every single Pay Phone has been removed.
I can only assume these "Phone Booths" are to be removed as well.
Such a Shame. I can only assume these were placed here in the 1980's as I have see pictures of 185 Franklin Street from 1977 and these "Phone booths were noticeably absent.

Pay... phone? What? What's that?

Having taken a few years off from high school and then transferring universities and programs, this past year I found myself in first year courses again with all the wide-eyed, still-wet-behind-the-ears 18 year olds. Yesterday a girl around my age (28) who also went back to school after several years and I were talking about the age gap between us and most of our classmates when she told me that someone had recently asked her how pagers worked. We got a good chuckle about that.

I always liked those pay phones. It would be nice if they could keep them as some sort of art deco street furniture, even if the original purpose for them is largely antiquated. Maybe on each of them put up some sort of informational panel about historical events in communication that took place in Boston/Massachusetts, like Bell's first telephone call or Marconi's first transatlantic signal from the US, which happened on the Cape. Just seems like such a waste to get rid of them, given their design and unobtrusiveness.

Pay... phone? What? What's that?

Having taken a few years off from high school and then transferring universities and programs, this past year I found myself in first year courses again with all the wide-eyed, still-wet-behind-the-ears 18 year olds. Yesterday a girl around my age (28) who also went back to school after several years and I were talking about the age gap between us and most of our classmates when she told me that someone had recently asked her how pagers worked. We got a good chuckle about that.

I always liked those pay phones. It would be nice if they could keep them as some sort of art deco street furniture, even if the original purpose for them is largely antiquated. Maybe on each of them put up some sort of informational panel about historical events in communication that took place in Boston/Massachusetts, like Bell's first telephone call or Marconi's first transatlantic signal from the US, which happened on the Cape. Just seems like such a waste to get rid of them, given their design and unobtrusiveness.

Sadly I think the new owners have no interest in "Telecom" They are kinda making a clean sweep. New Lobby, New Bump outs, New Parking Garage and lastly they are doing new "streetscapes" which I can only gather as them ripping out the old and putting up everything new.

Back