50 Post Office Sq (Fomer Verizon Building Tower)

Re: Verizon Building Tower

Sadly I think the new owners have no interest in "Telecom" They are kinda making a clean sweep. New Lobby, New Bump outs, New Parking Garage and lastly they are doing new "streetscapes" which I can only gather as them ripping out the old and putting up everything new.

How would they justify their high rents if they didn't take out what's perfectly functional and replace it with something else? Haha.

Death of the Phone Booth

5578039967_c4ced68d5f.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmack24/5578039967/

There are about 12 of these Art Deco Phone Booths around 185 Franklin Street.
I walked up and got a closer look and every single Pay Phone has been removed.
I can only assume these "Phone Booths" are to be removed as well.
Such a Shame. I can only assume these were placed here in the 1980's as I have see pictures of 185 Franklin Street from 1977 and these "Phone booths were noticeably absent.

Move them to Dewey Square to hang out with their bigger MBTA head house cousins.

Or move them to Bowdoin Square, in front of a building that Verizon still owns and occupies.

Again a bit off topic but if anyone is interested in seeing some more (albeit crappy) pictures of the 6 Bowdoin Sq building (including some interior shots) I've posted some here:

6 Bowdoin Sq.

Sorry I didn't label them. If you have any questions about what you are looking at just PM me and if I know the answer I'll let you know.

Yes Yes MorMore

Those..... were the days we thought they'd never end -- days when companies were proud that they had built a building for their own special purposes -- of course the Chadwick leadworks is the penultimate

Today, although modern building technology makes it in principle easier to customize the exterior and interiors of buildings -- except for suburban office campuses -- actually built by the companies occupying them -- downtown -- there is nothing to identify a telecom, a drug maker, a banking house, or the owner of real estate except for the occasional sign

Came across an amazingly detailed project document for the redevelopment of 185 Franklin St.

If anyone wants to know anything about what was proposed and I presume mostly already implmented -- check out the following:
185 Franklin Street
Project Address 185 Franklin Street
Links (big files) Project Notification Form
Neighborhood Downtown
Uses Retail
Office

Land Sq. Ft. 76,692 sq ft
Building Size 883,700 sq ft
Applicant 185 Franklin Street Investment LLC
Project Description The proposed project includes expanding and renovating the lobby, converting office space to retail space, converting the existing basement into a parking garage, façade and roof structure work, related utility work, and sidewalk improvements.
Last Updated 11/18/2009

What is the current review status?

Under Construction
BRA Board Approval Date: 11/17/2009

Access the pdf through a download link on the BRA website
http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...anklin Street/PNF/185 Franklin Street_PNF.pdf

Apparently, Tishman did Phase 1, and Suffolk is doing phase 2.

http://www.tishmanconstruction.com/index.php?q=node/1128

Tishman apparently did all the serious interior work which essentially created two buildings within one skin:

Verizon retains a substantial telecom presence at 185 Franklin including adding additional back-up generation and cooling on the roof top -- they needed to strengthen the roof to support the new loads

"Boston, MA, February, 2011 – Tishman Construction Corporation of Massachusetts (TCC-MA) is nearing the completion of a project that will provide Verizon Communications, Inc. with its own dedicated systems infrastructure for network communications equipment within the historic, 18-story New England Telephone & Telegraph Building at 185 Franklin Street in Boston’s financial district......Tishman Construction personnel are separating Verizon Communications’ mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems from those that serve the overall building, in order to give Verizon its own dedicated systems on floors that house its office spaces and its network communication equipment.......Another challenge is working over live telecom space. This meant that Tishman project managers had to coordinate the protection of Verizon switchgear and large telephone switchgear batteries. To accommodate these procedures, Tishman built scaffolding out of wood (instead of metal scaffolding, which could arc with the batteries) over the entire work area.....The project’s scope of work also includes the installation of two 1-megawatt generators on the roof, a 350-ton cooling tower, seven new air-handling units, and vast amounts of infrastructure to support the new systems. The roof had to be reinforced in order to support the additional weight.

Other work in the building includes:
• Interior building alterations on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floors, and the 14th floor roof to build out HVAC and electrical infrastructure to provide ownership separation to isolate Verizon space from the rest of the building.
• New air-handling units on floors 1, 2, 3 and 4 and an associated ductwork distribution system, and DDC controls to serve existing and future Verizon equipment, with ventilation for battery areas.
• New fuel pumps in the basement with supply and return piping to the 14th floor generator modules.

Simultaneously, Tishman renovated more than 200,000 square feet of office and administrative space on four floors of the building, where Verizon maintains its base of operations in the Boston area."
http://www.tishmanconstruction.com/?q=print/1128

The rest of the building being renovated inside and out by Suffolk -- will become generic office -- although I wouldn't doubt that many likely client for the space might want to take advantage of the incredibly dense fiber net (and underground channels for more fiber conduits) already in place in the building

^^^ Interesting they brought in a New York contractor to do the heavy lifting on the infrastructure for the building, and then turned it over to Suffolk for the more generic stuff.

^^^ Interesting they brought in a New York contractor to do the heavy lifting on the infrastructure for the building, and then turned it over to Suffolk for the more generic stuff.

Stel -- Tishman has been in Boston for nearly 30 years and as their site says -- Tishman's Boston Office has been responsible for 20 M sq ft. including being owners rep for the BCEC, construction manager for the Ames and Liberty Hotel projects and construction manager for a huge multi-tenant data center in Needham

http://www.tishmanconstruction.com/index.php?q=spotlightonboston

I'm guessing that the Needham project probably was a motivation for their getting to do the utility stuff for 185 Franklin

Sentinel Data Center Upgrade

LOCATION Needham, MA
TISHMAN ROLE Construction Manager
OWNER Resolution Capital, LLC
ARCHITECT CCG
SIZE/SQUARE FOOTAGE 2 floors, 60,000 SF
COMPLETION YEAR 2005
Tishman Technologies served as Construction Manager for the build-out of multiple data centers totaling 140,000 square feet of raised flooring within an existing 350,000-square-foot telecommunication switch site. These build-outs were performed for multiple Fortune 500 corporations across various markets, including financial services, health care, technology, and biotechnology, among others. Tishman Technologies was responsible for both the high-voltage and low-voltage installations accommodating power densities in excess of 100 watts per square foot.

In addition to the data center fit-outs, Tishman Technologies has also managed the 14-MW upgrade to the site, which included the installation of six new substations, seven 2-MW generators, and 12 new UPS systems.

What the fuck is that? The coffee stand on Merrimac & Staniford?

It used to be a garage they are looking for a tenant.
Seems like a very very small space though . . .

And I don't have photos but they removed all the glass from the front of the building.

The White glass that used to be above the front doors.

Unsure what will go there but its weird there are old windows and stuff it looks cool.

If ur in the area go down and take some pics : )

Did not expect this to be behind the Art Deco:

5jynEkb.jpg

What are they doing? Not removing the Bell System logo, I hope.

Wow. This building had a previous design? I don't suppose it would possible to build a tower that large on top of a reclad base (in the 40s).

Back