Academic Building @ Suffolk U | 20 Somerset Street | Beacon Hill

not significant

People keep talking about how 20 somerset is contextual to Beacon Hill. It may well have been contextual 50 years ago, but today it stands out like a sore thumb among 1970s towers (that are unfortunate in their own hamfisted way). The building is a mediocre mishmash of art deco and neo colonial design. It's southern facade is completely blank because it was part of the streetscape at one point in time. While it is true that most of the buildings that have been designed in the last 50 years have been less than inspiring, we shouldn't give up on contemporary architecture. It would be a shame to preserve mediocrity only because we have so little faith in the prospect of something new. The area in which 20 Somerset resides may well carry a beacon hill zip code but it is a distinctly different neighborhood and should be treated as such from a design perspective. A building in this district need not fit into the townhouse archetype that characterizes the rest of beacon hill. There is an opportunity to build a new, distinct tower that reflects a new age for new purposes. The politics that surrounded the original push to save the building had more to do with an opposition to Suffolk University and the student population than it did with a reverence for the beauty of the structure. At this point opponents of a new design, for the most part, are the classic opponents of CHANGE. Fear of change should not be the guiding light of city planning.

Suffolk Dorms/10 West St-Beacon Hill Tower

Its best side is the one facing the plaza and "Garden of Peace" behind the Saltonstall Building, and that isn't saying much. Don't try to perfume this pig. Tear it down.

According to the Courant, it's not a dorm any more, they wanted to put the art school there, but the MDC building was not a good fit (an art school requires higher ceilings I guess). Also, Suffolk is claiming the building has deteriorated too much to be worth saving.

I work one block from the old MDC building on Somerset St. In my opinion, it would be a loss to lose this building. Even in its unmaintained and somewhat dilapidated state, it still is more visually appealing than the other buildings on its block - the dreadful McCormick and the renovated Saltonstall building now known as 100 Cambridge. I have always enjoyed the darker color of the masonry used in the building too. Its different from much of the brick used in Beacon Hill.

Its too bad that Suffolk U. owns it. This building strikes me as similar to other buildings in the area that have been or are being renovated as small hotels i.e., 15 Beacon, Ames Building. I also like the way it stands out from its neighbors - for me it is a tangible reminder of the neighborhood that preceded urban renewal, similar to the two or so tenement row homes still standing in the old West End near Mass General and behind North Station.

For all of you height lovers, I doubt if a replacement would be any higher than the existing structure. Maybe I'm wrong but when I imagine an Art School for Suffolk I think of a building that will likely be smaller, rather larger than the existing building.

Ron Newman said:
Shreve is significant, but 20 Somerset? I'll need to be persuaded.

I'm with Ron on this one. There's no way it's worth saving for all eternity.

commuter guy said:
...In my opinion, it would be a loss to lose this building. Even in its unmaintained and somewhat dilapidated state, it still is more visually appealing than the other buildings on its block - the dreadful McCormick and the renovated Saltonstall building now known as 100 Cambridge. I have always enjoyed the darker color of the masonry used in the building too. Its different from much of the brick used in Beacon Hill.

...I also like the way it stands out from its neighbors - for me it is a tangible reminder of the neighborhood that preceded urban renewal, similar to the two or so tenement row homes still standing in the old West End near Mass General and behind North Station.

second that. i used to live on temple street and walk past that building to work. it always struck me as under kempt but very attractive for an upgrade. it may not be special, but it nets out as a strong asset for whatever goes around it in the future -- assuming it is kept.

Re: Suffolk Dorms - 10 West St / Beacon Hill tower

Banker & Tradesman said:
Suffolk University Has Designs on Somerset

School of Art and Design Replaces Plan for Dormitory; City Task Force Members Say Some Concerns Remain

By Thomas Grillo
Reporter

Suffolk20SomersetSt1.jpg

B&T staff photo by Thomas Grillo
The former Metropolitan District Commission headquarters at 20 Somerset St. in Boston could be the new home for Suffolk University?s School of Art and Design.

Months after Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino killed plans for a dormitory on Beacon Hill, Suffolk University hopes its fallback idea will win city and neighborhood approval.

Suffolk intends to move its School of Art and Design from cramped quarters in the Back Bay to Beacon Hill. The new location, 20 Somerset St., became a flashpoint for controversy last year when the university proposed student housing for the former Metropolitan District Commission headquarters.

??Anything is better than a dormitory? was our initial reaction to moving the arts school to Beacon Hill,? said Robert Whitney, a member of the Suffolk University Task Force, a city-appointed group created to advise the mayor on the project. ?But we?re still concerned. Instead of grabbing sites as they come, any expansion should be a result of long-range planning. But that?s not what they?re doing. And we?re worried that the addition of more students to the area might be the tipping point.?

Suffolk wants to grow and house more of its students on campus. But the lack of real estate coupled with opposition from Beacon Hill residents has made the prospect dicey. Boston College, Emerson College, Harvard University and Northeastern University have faced similar challenges. While residents want students housed in dorms, they don?t want student housing in their neighborhood and are weary of more campuses in residential areas.

John A. Nucci, Suffolk?s vice president of government and community affairs, said the school is close to unveiling a master plan that will include the Somerset Street site as well as several potential areas for the school?s expansion. He said the idea to move its art school to Beacon Hill have been ?very well-received, without any opposition registered.?

?We are discussing the feasibility of accommodating the art school but haven?t decided whether to raze the building or work with what?s there,? Nucci said. ?For more than a year, the community told us that dorm use was inappropriate on Somerset Street, but classrooms and offices would work.?

But William Hayward, a task force member and Temple Street resident, said he is unsure how the neighborhood will react to more students on Beacon Hill. ?I don?t know if the arts school idea will fly,? he said. ?There will be scrutiny, but perhaps there can be an understanding reached between Suffolk and residents.?

One thing that the neighborhood might request is for Suffolk to limit classes at the arts school to daytime hours, he said. ?If students leave the neighborhood by sundown, it could get community support,? Hayward said.

Nucci was not ready to make such a concession last week. He said the school would not be open any later than 9:30 p.m., similar to other Suffolk buildings on Beacon Hill.

Still, Hayward praised Suffolk, noting that officials have been more direct in keeping the neighborhood informed of their intentions. ?The dorm was a nonstarter. Now we can at least talk about their new idea,? he said. ?Everything changed when the neighborhood organized to fight the dorm. Because of the past, residents are apprehensive. But Suffolk seems to be listening to the needs of the neighborhood while keeping the university?s needs in mind. There will be continued discussions about what is best for both.?

Growing Pains

Robert B. O'Brien, executive director of the Downtown North Association, said he supports the plan to move the arts school to Somerset Street. He said the new 10-story facility would result in exhibit space for Beacon Hill and West End residents. In addition, he likes the fact that the new building will open onto Ashburton Place and improve pedestrian circulation in the area. ?I like what I?ve seen,? he said. ?It will improve the appearance of that visible corner of Ashburton and Somerset.?

Beatrice Nessen, a task force member who represents the Garden of Peace, a tiny memorial park commemorating homicide victims adjacent to the plaza at 100 Cambridge St., said she has been pleased with the negotiations on the art school proposal.

?Suffolk has agreed to maintain the height of the building and that?s important to us because anything higher will block the southern sun light on the garden,? she said. ?They have also promised to keep the same footprint as opposed to the proposed dorm that would have moved to the edge of the park.?

Whitney, who also lives on Beacon Hill, said he is unsure if there is anything Suffolk could do to make the art school move acceptable to the neighborhood. He noted that the school?s agreement with the city to build up to 474 dorms at 10 West St. and at the former Modern Theatre on Washington Street included a promise of no more student housing in Downtown Crossing.

?If we allow expansion to the Somerset Street building and Suffolk promised not to build from Temple Street to Center Plaza, lots of people would say that?s a good idea,? Whitney said.

But such a promise may not be possible. One of the ideas that have been floated by Suffolk officials for the school?s expansion is the possibility of Suffolk?s purchase of the Charles F. Hurley Building at Cambridge and Staniford streets. Critics have called the 340,000-square-foot concrete facility, which is not for sale, Boston?s ugliest office building. If razed, the space would be big enough to create a new campus for Suffolk.

Menino has not yet been briefed on the potential move of Suffolk?s arts school to Somerset Street. In an interview with Banker & Tradesman, the mayor said he did not have a preferred use for the site. He noted that any decision about the art school must be vetted through a community planning process.

?Suffolk is great institution in our city and their problem is that none of their property is contiguous,? he said. ?The question is: How do you build a campus atmosphere similar to Emerson, [which] found a location in the Theater District and has put all their resources in one place??

On the possibility of Suffolk expanding to the Hurley site, Menino said, ?It?s a conversation we should have. It?s just a concept now, but Suffolk is very important to our city and we must work with them so that growth continues, because it?s good for everyone.?
NLA

Having lived in the Fenway I really don't blame the residents for not wanting dorms. Why not create a sudent village in Kendall Sq with a few dorm towers? They could just hop on the Red Line 2 stops.

how do dorms hurt the Fenway?

^drunken riots outside Fenway Park? fatal house fires started by candles? Students say they wish for things like bars being open later but crap like that keeps happening and it ruins it for everyone because the city cannot become a huge UMASS Amherst. If people feel that Boston is unsafe for their child, they will go elsewhere and our economy will suffer.

Dorms aren't the reason for these things specifically but that is my opinion of why they are meeting resistence in some areas.

(Sorry if this post is slightly off topic)

Last edited:

Everyone remember their undergrad days. Remember? Case closed.

Man, knocking over the Hurley building and replacing it with some sort of contiguous Suffolk campus would be awesome, but where does Menino think the money is going to come from?! Not to belittle Suffolk, but it ain't exactly Harvard when it comes to its endowment.

The Herald said:
Suffolk?s big ambitions
School seeks dorms, 60% growth in space
By Scott Van Voorhis | Thursday, November 29, 2007 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Business & Markets
14db04a095_suff_11292007.jpg

Photo by Mark Garfinkel

Suffolk University is poised to launch a massive expansion of its downtown campus, with projects ranging from an NCAA-sized basketball court to a pair of new dorms, documents show.

Even as it recovers from a pair of neighborhood battles over proposed dorms, Suffolk is drawing up ambitious plans to add 750,000 square feet of student housing, academic and athletic space to its campus.

That would represent a more than 60 percent increase to its current 1.2 million-square-foot campus, which has 17 buildings spread across Beacon Hill and Downtown Crossing.

?This is a very significant expansion for Suffolk that needs to be very thoroughly planned so that no one of the downtown neighborhoods bears too much,? said state Rep. Marty Walz (D-Back Bay).

The centerpiece of Suffolk?s future expansion involves building two new dorms for more than 1,100 new students. That comes on top of roughly 500 dorm rooms the university is now developing in Downtown Crossing.

But that?s just for starters.

The university also wants to build a 40,000-square-foot athletic complex, including a basketball court with 500 seats, a fitness center and aerobics studios. There are also plans for a 77,000-square-foot student center and a proposal for a 70,000-square-foot art school where the old Metropolitan District Commission?s headquarters sits at the base of Beacon Hill.

The plans are detailed in a rough draft of a master plan for Suffolk?s future expansion over the next decade, slated to be filed with City Hall in the next several weeks.

?This is a draft document that is the product of a year of discussions,? said John Nucci, Suffolk?s government affairs director.

Despite the big building plans, Suffolk is hoping to avoid some of the bruising neighborhood battles that have dogged its recent expansion moves. The university was forced to withdraw a proposal to build a dorm tower at the base of Beacon Hill after fierce opposition.

The university has listed Beacon Hill and a stretch of Downtown Crossing from Boylston to Winter streets as ?non-expansion? areas. Instead, the university will channel future expansion to other parts of Downtown Crossing and to the area around Government Center.

Walz credited Suffolk with hiring a top Harvard University planner to help think through its expansion plans, forcing Suffolk ?to think more broadly and creatively on how they can expand in a congested, downtown area.?
Link

This is great news for DTX. Suffolk builds reasonably nice buildings, and DTX needs a large stakeholder that will have a long term interest in sprucing up the area. College kids can be a pain in the ass as any non-college-aged Allston resident would attest, but they spend money, stay out late, and don't have cars--all good things for DTX.

And just because it bears repeating, Marty Walz is a drag.

Suffolk builds reasonably nice buildings,

God how I hate the new law school.
How they could make a building that does not fit into the architecturally diverse Tremont St is beyond me, but they managed it.
Second worst building on Tremont. And at least TOC meets the sidewalk and has some street level retail.

drunken riots outside Fenway Park? fatal house fires started by candles? Students say they wish for things like bars being open later but crap like that keeps happening and it ruins it for everyone because the city cannot become a huge UMASS Amherst. If people feel that Boston is unsafe for their child, they will go elsewhere and our economy will suffer.

At the risk of being mauled, may I suggest that this has more to do with the sort of student that dominates Boston nightlife, and not so much with the overwhelming number of students or the hour at which they're awake? New York and Montreal have around the same number of students per capita, and have a nightlife that keeps going much longer, but neither have the sort of drunken riot/frat fire or whatever issues that apparently plague Boston. If anything the expansions of Suffolk and Emerson will help attract the sort of student who's more into the sort of nightlife enjoyed by students at NYU, the New School, or Concordia, rather than that of UMass Amherst.

God how I hate the new law school.

It's 10 years old! And while it may not be in the best taste, for a piece of contextualist quasi-PoMo it's actually fairly high quality. Compare to stuff from the 80s, like International Place.

Last edited:

Just curious...but how do you figure nyc has the same amount of students per capita as Boston? Given that NYC has a population about fifteen times the size of Boston, I don't think they have a student population that is larger by a similar magnitude.

students are atudents no matter where you are. unless you get some actual facts, I'll have a hard time believing that students in Boston are less well behaved than those in Montreal and NYC. Can anyone find a ranking of cities with the highest number of students per capita in North America? I'd be interesed in seeing how Boston compares...

^Ya, I would like to see that too. Boston is one of the leading cities in college education, so I think it would definitely be at the top of lists.

Back