ACKS | Alexander Center Kendall Sq. | 50 Binney | E Cambridge

Be much better if the tall one was a single hunk of granite like the others.

At some point, the trend of framing multiple stories of windows with one big frame needs to die.

Last edited:
Unfortunately its one of the best tricks for getting height, the only thing is it works too good at making buildings look way shorter than they are.

Unfortunately its one of the best tricks for getting height, the only thing is it works too good at making buildings look way shorter than they are.

Exactly, if used for that purpose. It's clear this was just a trendy design feature rather than a trick of the eye as unfortunately, the two floor section of glazing above the masonry facade section completely ruins the effect. This whole development is a jumble of half thought out design ideas.

Just as an excuse to post this, My favorite use of the 'offset window / double height opening' style is Moneo's Murcia City Hall:

6580_l.jpg

That yawning you hear is the sound of half a dozen exhausted motifs.

That yawning you hear is the sound of half a dozen exhausted motifs.

... as I have said in less clearly and with too many words many times in this thread.

cca

I'm disappointed in binney street in general... would have liked to have seen more retail and activity. As it is, it's all confined to third st.

I'm disappointed in binney street in general... would have liked to have seen more retail and activity. As it is, it's all confined to third st.

Hey now. Don't forget the new coffee shop on the corner of Binney and 2nd. It's even open five days a week until 5 PM!

But yeah, 75/125 is kind of a deadzone at the street, at least until 125 gets filled (With what I've no idea. It's a massive space with no exterior doors, so, not gonna be retail). 50/60 and 100 both appear to have some retail planned at street level, but not a ton.
How did they get away with that? Did Alexandria argue the needed leaseable space on the ground floor to make up for the relatively short heights?
Hopefully they can do better as they re-zone the Volpe Site.

Back