ACKS | Alexander Center Kendall Sq. | 50 Binney | E Cambridge

Yup. A full-on geometric mess. This is a sure sign of a self-conscious designer who does not have faith in good principals and thinks more lines/curves/angles will cover up the lack of conviction.

Too bad really. Its a good site.

cca

In image 2 above, can anyone explain why the architect did the "fault line crack" in the facade transitioning between the rounded corner to the diagonal step backs along Memorial Drive? The facade just looks "broken" to me???

In image 2 above, can anyone explain why the architect did the "fault line crack" in the facade transitioning between the rounded corner to the diagonal step backs along Memorial Drive? The facade just looks "broken" to me???

It doesn't serve a purpose function wise, just a design. I agree, I don't think it works particularly well with the curve; Pick one language and stick with it.

My thinking:

- There's a little park across the street that provides an open fetch to the charles
- That rounded nose could push wind pretty efficiently along the surfaces of the building to either side
- There are accessible terraces above the 'steps' on the Boston-facing side of the building

I could imagine a pretty strong breeze coming in off the charles rearranging the furniture on those those terraces (and maybe even rearranging it into the street) in the absence of a feature like this to confuse the wind.

But yeah its really awkward.

My thinking:

- There's a little park across the street that provides an open fetch to the charles
- That rounded nose could push wind pretty efficiently along the surfaces of the building to either side
- There are accessible terraces above the 'steps' on the Boston-facing side of the building

I could imagine a pretty strong breeze coming in off the charles rearranging the furniture on those those terraces (and maybe even rearranging it into the street) in the absence of a feature like this to confuse the wind.

But yeah its really awkward.

No technical basis for that. Just a designer making too many moves to makes something boring ..something awkward.

^ yeah fair enough pure amateur speculation on my part. I yield....

That zig-zag, looks like a waterproofing nightmare.

Back