Aerials

Great photos of rooftops that have, unless I'm missing them, very few solar panels. Interesting and kind of disappointing.

I *do* regret not going to skyscraperpage because I know, if nothing else, that the "city discussions" subforum always has some good conversations going on that help keep me up to date on what's really happening on the ground in all sorts of metros. I gave up caring about the stereotypical 30 story towers going up in Houston or San Fran or wherever at least ten years ago, and living in NYC made me not give a crap about 99% of development going on there (because it's either shoddy garbage or hypercapitalist garbage), AND THEN the severe lack of Boston discussion there (because it's all here) clinched it for me where I found SSP to be less and less of a must-visit website.

And to DZH's point, once I stopped photographing NYC projects I stopped going to skyscrapercity altogether.

And to top it off, I'm now taking somewhere around 200 photos PER DAY for work, never mind what I take for pleasure, so oftentimes when I get home I'm doing the absolute bare minimum of file editing/processing/uploading/sharing knowing full well I have to get up the next day and deal with another 200 photos. The fact that I get ANYTHING posted here is something of a minor miracle these days.

SSC I'm probably done with for good but I think I'll make it a point to pop into SSP more than like once every three months and actually share some of my photos there again, because once upon a time I did truly like the sense of community there 🍻

Hey, Kz (and DZ, Beeline, Dr Rosen, Javier, etc. and all the others who do such great work here photograping the city) - I really appreciate all your excellent work.

Last month, my wife suddenly passed away (pulmonary embollism). The kids and I are doing much better 4 weeks out and are taking on our futures again.

The past couple of weeks, I've migrated back here to lurk (I'll start posting again in a few weeks) and I can't tell you how therapeutic it is to see your photo updates.

This website always makes me optimistic about the future, in general, and human progress. THANK YOU! (y)

Last edited:
^ That's absolutely devastating to hear. We don't know each other on any kind of personal level but we share a sense of community and hopefully a sense of empathy, in which case I can't send enough regards and condolences your way.

And I'm going to use this to make the point that DON'T TAKE LIFE FOR GRANTED. Photography is very much a vessel for me to remember what I have/what I see/what matters to me, and for every shot I share here there's about 10 I've taken of mundane stuff that in the moment might not mean much but several years down the road (for instance pics from 2019 pre-pandemic) can grow to be incredibly important because something in the shot changed and is no longer. And this is to say absolutely nothing about truly important stuff like loved ones or one's life work.

I know that paragraph is a mess to read but I'm trying to find the words to stress how important it is to APPRECIATE EVERY DAY, even the lousy ones. There's ZERO guarantee everything--or even anything--you have today will be there tomorrow.

Again, shmessy, my sincerest condolences. I hope strength and happiness are finding their way back to you and your children.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I too find the photo updates therapeutic, whether it's me taking/posting them myself or just seeing the work of others. I have plenty of updates to come, and with the excellent Summer lighting plus so many active members I don't think you will be let down on that front!

In fact, let's kick that off with a recent video I found that is over 1 hour of the best aerial stock footage I have ever seen of Boston. A lot of it looks like the video version of some of kz's more recent pics. I have been viewing it on my big screen 4k tv and pausing so much on one dynamite shot after another that I'm still only 42 minutes in after watching it all week! (so if the last 23 minutes turn completely inappropriate I apologize as it's not fully vetted) I'm guessing the footage is about 6 weeks old. Hopefully you too will be able to lose yourself in these views and find some moments of peace. Wishing you the best, and keep checking in as Boston's visual transformation isn't quite through!

Hey, Kz (and DZ, Beeline, Dr Rosen, Javier, etc. and all the others who do such great work here photograping the city) - I really appreciate all your excellent work.

Last month, my wife suddenly passed away (pulmonary embollism). The kids and I are doing much better 4 weeks out and are taking on our futures again.

The past couple of weeks, I've migrated back here to lurk (I'll start posting again in a few weeks) and I can't tell you how therapeutic it is to see your photo updates.

This website always makes me optimistic about the future, in general, and human progress. THANK YOU! (y)
You've always been a positive (and funny!) presence on AB. I appreciate you, and am really sorry for your loss. My best wishes and prayers to you and your family.

shmessy, I'm dedicating this post to you and the memory of your wife. I can't forget what you wrote, and for that I hope these bring a little more joy into your life.

52151379132_904f630363_3k.jpg

52152386346_3f0ac457f6_3k.jpg

52152881155_b340927981_3k.jpg

These are courtesy of the 35th floor of Harbor Towers

52152386096_0c238305f6_3k.jpg

52151378957_3abb0d7f54_3k.jpg

52151378867_5e12a487ff_3k.jpg

52152385746_dab143ac35_3k.jpg

52152880885_f59cb62d0d_3k.jpg

52152626894_ad153947cf_3k.jpg

52152628574_2836dfb8f1_3k.jpg

52151378742_a815516963_3k.jpg

52152385696_55fee38bab_3k.jpg

52152385661_7ad27cb31e_3k.jpg

52151377312_c9f145c41a_3k.jpg

52152628409_308c13d9c3_3k.jpg

52152628169_96aa7fb63a_3k.jpg

52152394498_35ebc7a82a_3k.jpg

52151378012_19df282545_3k.jpg

52151377652_fa9bdbd93b_3k.jpg

52152394028_c1f9e9230f_3k.jpg

52208266749_83d9dd7adb_3k.jpg

This is fantastic, I've only seen this view from the Pru looking down, so some of it is blocked due to the angle. I never knew the low-slung retail portion's roof of the long concrete midrise with Saigon Fusion in it had this 70s colorway pattern!

Drone jobs this past week

52208018498_9802b42ff8_3k.jpg

Great photos! You're making me miss my old hood. One thing I love about these is all the little easter eggs/new angles I never noticed from the ground, even after years walking by them. A few I noticed in this photo:

1. I wonder what is that near-windowless/featureless building behind the Berklee tower? Apparently on Belvidere across from St. Ceclia's. Looking on streetview makes it look even more barrenly ominous, but I never noticed it before.

2. That old-timey painted advert on the side of the building directly to the left of the green rooftop of Church Park. Looks like it's on the building next to Bodega on Clearway. "Navin & ___ Clothing?" (edit: gmaps tells me it's Navin & Kelly Clothing and Credit, but I can't find anything more on that)

3. I seem to recall several years ago, large letters painted on the roofs of one of these blocks. It was like "NOSE BOOB" or something weird like that. I don't see it hear, maybe I've misremembering.

Back