Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

Wow! This is a project that has been discussed since at least 2017, but this is the first time I've seen an update where the Allen building (334 Cambridge St) is preserved! As someone who has called on the developer a few times to preserve this building, my heart is warmed. Plus 63 parking spaces removed and 7 more units of housing added!

While 6,000 SF of retail has been knocked off, this project is still going to activate a number of corners that currently sit underutilized. Materials look eh, but overall this has evolved to become a winner

Wow! This is a project that has been discussed since at least 2017, but this is the first time I've seen an update where the Allen building (334 Cambridge St) is preserved! As someone who has called on the developer a few times to preserve this building, my heart is warmed. Plus 63 parking spaces removed and 7 more units of housing added!

While 6,000 SF of retail has been knocked off, this project is still going to activate a number of corners that currently sit underutilized. Materials look eh, but overall this has evolved to become a winner

I also love the proposed reductions in parking and increase in housing. However, the A-B NIMBYs (especially the Brighton-Allston Community Coalition) will likely show up in force to oppose this project (as they do every project in A-B). Thankfully, most of their efforts are currently directed at Allston Yards, but I'd be surprised if this current iteration survives as is. A-B NIMBYs are very well-organized.

If the height on this project gets approved then whoever buys the Advanced Auto Parts will likely throw up a structure of equal height to maximize ROI, giving 80% of the units facing the AAP lot deluxe back alley views.

I also love the proposed reductions in parking and increase in housing. However, the A-B NIMBYs (especially the Brighton-Allston Community Coalition) will likely show up in force to oppose this project (as they do every project in A-B). Thankfully, most of their efforts are currently directed at Allston Yards, but I'd be surprised if this current iteration survives as is. A-B NIMBYs are very well-organized.

Super happy to see this as well, I wrote a letter in support during the first phase asking for these changes and am pleasantly surprised the development turned my way for once! I no longer live in the A/B area but will be writing in nonetheless, the Harvard/Cambridge intersection and Linden St bus stop were a fixture of my life for a few years and this iteration looks fantastic compared to the empty lots currently peppering the territory.

I appreciate the scale here too - I think it will help extend the great density and feel already along Comm Ave toward the Pike and Eastward as the realignment project finishes up.

Yeah, this is great. For as dense as it already is (the Comm Ave corridor has the same density as Manhattan) Allston still has loads of untapped potential. It's already full of life and it's got great transit, and yet there are countless parking lots and one-story tax-payers. We need about 10 more projects just like this one.

That faux wood? facade looks great. Adds to the brick color pallette too. I root for every new brick building that creeps out further out from the core. I wish we had used brick all throughout every neighborhood, and more density at least on the main roads, but itll be fun to watch the changes taking place like dot block and south bay center.

Back