Allston-Brighton Infill and Small Developments

It might be HardiPlank siding instead of vinyl. It's hard to tell from the photos exactly what was used there.

I think he's referring to the apparent vinyl siding motif, rather than to whether it's actual vinyl siding. I agree with the critique. This has a very " 80's " look to it, which hasn't aged well IMO. It reminds me very much of this (actual '80s) one in Brighton:
https://goo.gl/maps/FD6Lv5RZeaazNk9f8

Small project proposal on Summit Ave not far from the Whole Foods in Brighton. 23 rental units, 11 car parking spaces.

1629679231646.png

Current parcel (and structure to be demolished) for reference:

1629679337055.png

Awesome! From a 3 unit beater to 23 units with 3 on site affordable. Id love to see this replicated across much of the lower density areas of the city. It has a modern brick and metal facade too instead of party panels. Huge win.

The trio of new-ish buildings near Union Square, Allston. I really like how the arthaus one turned out.

When I first read your caption I was super impressed because I thought you were self-categorizing a particular building as some special architectural style called "arthaus"...then I scrolled down and saw the physical sign on it. Nonetheless, I agree...great building!

Last edited:
^^^ At about 12:45pm on Saturday. By the time I left (1:30ish) there were about three dozen patrons and a bunch of cyclists had just arrived. I think the action was just beginng. The brews not that bad, so I will be returning.

Arthaus is a great addition to the city. Honestly one of my favorite recent additions. It is also a fitting name you can definitely see the bauhaus influence and the artistic twists. Well done. Could use some landscaping with similar creativity though.

Last edited:
The speedway is great, no question but the color scheme isn't; it's original contrasting colors made it stick out.

The speedway is great, no question but the color scheme isn't; it's original contrasting colors made it stick out.

It's a City of Boston Landmark so I would bet that the colors are based on historic evidence of what it was or good documents on what it would have been--which is not necessarily what we have all been familiar with recently.

Back