Allston Yards (Stop and Shop) | 60 Everett St | Allston

odurandina

Reaction score
1000 units at Allston-Brighton Station....

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...ory.html?p1=Article_Recommended_ReadMore_Pos1

Brighton remains hot spot for new development....

by Tim Logan

Stop & Shop is jumping into the development boom that is remaking neighborhoods across Boston, proposing to build more than 1,000 apartments in a mainly commercial area off the Massachusetts Turnpike on the Allston-Brighton line.

The supermarket chain submitted plans to Boston officials for what would be among the biggest housing developments in the city. The 11-acre property is adjacent to the new Boston Landing development being built by New Balance that will also include several hundred apartments and a new commuter rail station.

The proposal is in keeping with Mayor Martin J. Walsh’s push to get more housing in the outer neighborhoods of Boston and would also help the mayor reach his stated goal of building 53,000 new units by 2030.

And Allston-Brighton has emerged as perhaps the hottest of those outlying neighborhoods, as builders look for locations that are cheaper than downtown but still relatively close to job centers in the city. The Forest Hills section of Jamaica Plain and Readville in Hyde Park each have proposals for several hundred apartments, while just across the city line, in Watertown and in Somerville, there are hundreds more in the works.

In a preliminary filing with the Boston Planning & Development Agency, Stop & Shop outlined a multiple-phase project at 60 Everett St. that would start with a 360-unit residential building and a new “state-of-the-art” supermarket to replace the 20-year-old store there now. Later phases would add up to 650 more housing units, retail, parking, and perhaps office space.

Stop & Shop also said it would create open space within the property and add a street and bikeway. It did not provide a timeline for the project. More details will come this spring, a spokeswoman said.

“We are excited to share our vision with the community and look forward to hearing from our neighbors as we bring this project to life,” said Linda Costanzo, director of real estate for Stop & Shop’s parent company, Ahold USA, in a statement. “We welcome a thoughtful dialogue about how to maximize the local benefits associated with this project.”

Allston-Brighton has numerous large-scale projects underway or in development, including the seven-building, 15-acre Boston Landing campus, which includes with a new corporate headquarters for New Balance, apartments, hotel, and practice facilities for the Boston Bruins and Boston Celtics. New Balance is also funding the new commuter rail station, expected to open this year, that will provide transit service directly to downtown.

Much of the new development in this part of the section is in a corridor on either side of the turnpike. There is a series of apartment buildings proposed or constructed along Western Avenue, and closer to the Stop & Shop, on Braintree Street, an 80-unit apartment building is under construction.

And, Harvard University is working on a 500,000-square-foot science and engineering complex in Allston and planning a further buildout on the site of the former CSX Beacon Park rail yard about a half-mile east of the Stop & Shop property. Brighton Center also has several large apartment and condo developments under review.

It’s a lot of big, new development coming to a neighborhood of mostly modest, middle-class housing, said Carol Ridge Martinez, executive director of the Allston Brighton Community Development Corporation.

“I think a lot of people will say it’s pretty dense,” she said. “People are concerned about traffic, and about what types of housing might get built.”

But Martinez, whose group owns an affordable-housing development next door to the Stop & Shop site, said the project — as long as it’s well-designed — could help change the way people look at a neighborhood that is changing fast.

“The whole corridor [along North Beacon] has never really looked very good,” Martinez said. “You drive up and down and think, ‘This is Allston-Brighton?’ Things could really improve.”

Tim Logan can be reached at tim.logan@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter at @bytimlogan.

"on that train, all graphite and glitter...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sogYgHlNnqo

Last edited:
Re: Boston Landing Station Residences (Stop and Shop) | 60 Everett St | Allston

pardon if this is an [Enzo].....

i didn't see this one posted.

Allston-Brighton maybe the next big thing for the city.1000 Units!

Is there some sort of counter available for the 53,000 units of housing the city is trying to build by 2030? Like, a website that could tell me how many units have been successfully completed since Walsh made that his goal?

we could easily smash through 53,000 units by as early as 2023-25.........

now that the grownups are running the Boston.gov campus.

to me its seem Boston population will be well over 700,000 by the time 2020 comes around. We are currently at 667,000. By 2030 population should be at least 850,000

This is all very nice, but really is just the frosting on the cake. Boston needs to bake the cake. It's all a house of cards unless the city and region invests in its infrastructure.

With all the new residents and massing, the city will die of a heart attack unless it gets its bypass.

NSRL now!!!!!!

http://www.northsouthraillink.org/

pardon if this is an [Enzo].....

i didn't see this one posted.

Sometimes stuff hits the Globe before staff at BPDA have an opportunity to post, especially with a Friday night story.

to me its seem Boston population will be well over 700,000 by the time 2020 comes around. We are currently at 667,000. By 2030 population should be at least 850,000

Agree completely with this. I think the city is lowballing the housing units they need to build to keep up with growth, let alone stabilize prices. 53,000 units gets you about 100,000 in population. The city is going to need a lot more than that a lot quicker than 2030.

This is all very nice, but really is just the frosting on the cake. Boston needs to bake the cake. It's all a house of cards unless the city and region invests in its infrastructure.

With all the new residents and massing, the city will die of a heart attack unless it gets its bypass.

NSRL now!!!!!!

http://www.northsouthraillink.org/

Forget the freaking NSRL!!! You sound like those who want Northeastern and BU to restart their football programs.

Before any public infrastructure can be built it has to go through 10 years of planning, consulting, bickering, political grandstanding etc. When something is finally agreed on they realize that the cost has tripled and it is now unaffordable e.g. the Green Line extension to Medford.

Forget the freaking NSRL!!! You sound like those who want Northeastern and BU to restart their football programs.

Before any public infrastructure can be built it has to go through 10 years of planning, consulting, bickering, political grandstanding etc. When something is finally agreed on they realize that the cost has tripled and it is now unaffordable e.g. the Green Line extension to Medford.

Right. But that means that the state has missed the opportunity to have updated infrastructure on a necessary schedule to keep up with population growth. The city will choke itself. Maybe self-driving cars will end up being a panacea, but somehow I doubt it.

Right. But that means that the state has missed the opportunity to have updated infrastructure on a necessary schedule to keep up with population growth. The city will choke itself. Maybe self-driving cars will end up being a panacea, but somehow I doubt it.

I have never understood the logic of how self-driving cars can reduce traffic congestion.

They reduce the total number of (underutilized) vehicles needed.
They reduce the need for parking spaces.
But at rush hour you still need the same number of vehicles deployed on the crowded highways to get people to their destinations (unless you force people to carpool, and that typically does not go over well). Self-driving cars are still fundamentally SOVs.

Self driving cars would reduce traffic because they would eliminate human response time. The cars would just constantly send signals to one another allowing for smooth intersections without traffic lights.

This thread has gone way off the rails, so I will contribute. First of all, this is fantastic.

But while 1000 units is great, I would push for more like 2500. I really don't wan't this looking like another Ink Block.

The thing that needs to happen, which has been stated before, is an investment in infrastructure. The reorganization of the I-90 interchange will have major implications in regards to how this area develops.

And this is just hope speaking, but gosh, get that rail line from BU to Kendall working.

But while 1000 units is great, I would push for more like 2500. I really don't wan't this looking like another Ink Block.

or Dot Block. Both projects run the mediocre~somewhat lousy range.

The proposed Worcester Line schedule has 14 trains stopping at Boston Landing inbound and 11 outbound.

That's about double what I expected (3 in the morning, 3 in the afternoon) from previous public meetings. Pleasantly surprised.

If you live in Worcester, you get one, and only one train in the AM stopping at BL, at 8:39am

That sort of sucks

Well... I doubt there's any demand, really, for commuter trains between Worcester and Brighton. At least right now.

There's more than you think. For example, Athenahealth has 4000+ employees 1.4mi away in Watertown, a parking crunch, runs shuttles to Harvard Sq, Back Bay and South Boston, and has a lot of MetroWest commuters. Without a doubt they're going to start running one to this station and probably going to have pretty healthy use of it.

There's a decent number of other major employers in the area that I could see running private shuttles or similar things to it.
I get that, but still, the train from Worcester takes a long time just station to station, and factor in door to door if you've got a drive to the station and haul ass on some shuttle through morning rush hour, that cuts down on the appeal. But, I guess for a lot of people it's better than driving. I don't know... if it were me, I'd move to live right along the train. They should make shuttle bus lanes from rail stations to major employment centers to make those trips less miserable.
The station has infinite capacity. i wish they were building more housing....

looks like this is the one....

The key to this one is the street network. Connect Guest to Braintree, and build a new connection to Everett.

....and YOU sound like someone who would prefer we do nothing and keep the Central Artery.

Here's a newsflash for ya - - even if they are over-budget and over-deadline, programs like the Big Dig, long-term, are the best things to ever happen to Boston. Oh the horror! It took longer than expected and cost more than originally budgeted. We really should have kept Boston in the 1950's with the Central Artery. Who needs progress?

Good luck building your House of Cards on quicksand. Without the Big Dig there is no booming Seaport, there are no scores of new international flights being set up at Logan and there are no lists putting Boston as one of the most desirable cities to live in for people and businesses.

It doesn't matter how chic your haircut is if you don't take care of your heart. Boston Landing is an excellent smart-growth development. It would be made far more efficient and enriching to the city and its residents if the trains moving through that new station didn't have to just terminal outside South Station.

Without efficient transit infrastructure, all those great buildings are nothing more than plaque inside an aorta.

One would think everyone here would have an ounce of common sense.

Last edited:

Definitely agree it blows my mind when people complain about the big dig. Yea it had problems at first but there hasn't been anything significant in a long time. Boston is a million times better than it was before the CAT. In the 80s/early 90's Boston was kind of a turd but has been polished up now and is doing pretty well for itself if no one has noticed.

The Big Dig was nothing but a cash cow. All that money spent & the thing had inflated up to almost $30B for crappy work! And you probably wonder why other cites don't want to try it? :mad:

....and YOU sound like someone who would prefer we do nothing and keep the Central Artery.

Here's a newsflash for ya - - even if they are over-budget and over-deadline, programs like the Big Dig, long-term, are the best things to ever happen to Boston. Oh the horror! It took longer than expected and cost more than originally budgeted. We really should have kept Boston in the 1950's with the Central Artery. Who needs progress?

Good luck building your House of Cards on quicksand. Without the Big Dig there is no booming Seaport, there are no scores of new international flights being set up at Logan and there are no lists putting Boston as one of the most desirable cities to live in for people and businesses.

It doesn't matter how chic your haircut is if you don't take care of your heart. Boston Landing is an excellent smart-growth development. It would be made far more efficient and enriching to the city and its residents if the trains moving through that new station didn't have to just terminal outside South Station.

Without efficient transit infrastructure, all those great buildings are nothing more than plaque inside an aorta.

One would think everyone here would have an ounce of common sense.

You totally missed the point of my post due to your closed mindedness. Boston needs the infrastructure but the need to plan, plan, plan. consult, consult, consult makes building anything impossible. Every special interest group needs to be appeased and coddled.

Back