Allston Yards (Stop and Shop) | 60 Everett St | Allston

The Shaws on Boylston is on death watch. I doubt it makes it out of the 2020's.
It's a Star Market on Boylston in the Fenway, and I agree that this parcel will undergo a big change in the next few years. If the Wegmans happens at Landmark maybe the Star site won't even redevelop with a grocery component.

Wasn't there a plan to put one in the Landmark Center? Or did that fall apart... I can't remember now.

And yes I would expect redev then put the grocery market back.

Yes. The redevelopment there was supposed to be anchored by a Wegman's. It's unclear how that failed, but the lab/office behind LC was designed post-Wegman's and has no space for one. Doesn't mean a grocery couldn't take over one of the other LC retail spaces at some point.

The next grocery lot to build up will be the Star Market in Somerville - they got jeered at the first public meeting but they'll come back with less mass and get approval. I'd love to see some improvement at the Somerville Market Basket too (at least a larger store), but that's not how MB operates. The Allston Star Market is also going to be in the middle of a redevelopment boom on Western Ave and might get sucked in at some point. Twin City Plaza is under a single non-grocery owner, so it would all have to go.

There's also the Washington Square Whole Foods which I believe has already broken ground.

I ask about supermarkets because they are the owners of the parking lots associated with these areas and that unlike many big box's that are just wastes of space I am going to assume that everybody wants the grocery stores to stay. Both this site and the East Cambridge site are different in that the resulting development would include multiple 200 foot buildings and the risk/reward is far higher.

In regards to this development, I really feel like this is as close to a slam dunk as I can think of. The one oddity that I can come up with is the road that separates it from New Balance. 2 lanes with a tree lined median and pull in parking? I can understand that they want this part of the whole thing not to be a dark narrow alley leading to the train tracks, but trees instead of asphalt there perhaps...

In regards to this development, I really feel like this is as close to a slam dunk as I can think of. The one oddity that I can come up with is the road that separates it from New Balance. 2 lanes with a tree lined median and pull in parking? I can understand that they want this part of the whole thing not to be a dark narrow alley leading to the train tracks, but trees instead of asphalt there perhaps...

That's outside the bounds of the of the project site from what I see in documents, and already exists. If you want it to go away, I think the party you'd have to take that up with is New Balance, not Allston Yards.

The Shaws on Boylston is on death watch. I doubt it makes it out of the 2020's.
It's a Star Market. The company purchased the old Gulf station next door 2 years ago and already owned the overflow lot behind it on Park Dr. They plan to build a mixed use building with a new supermarket on the ground floor and then redevelop the old site after they move to it. Previous discussion: https://archboston.com/community/th...parcel-1380-1420-boylston-street-fenway.5455/

It's a Star Market. The company purchased the old Gulf station next door 2 years ago and already owned the overflow lot behind it on Park Dr. They plan to build a mixed use building with a new supermarket on the ground floor and then redevelop the old site after they move to it. Previous discussion: https://archboston.com/community/th...parcel-1380-1420-boylston-street-fenway.5455/

To reframe that - I don't think anyone had any inside info that the mixed-use building was coming. I misremembered that someone had actually sourced the opposite, so I'm not claiming superiority here :). Going back to the original question, that's a great location for a redevelopment ;)

It was an old Casey & Hayes moving warehouse that was converted. I think Boston Skating Club had a proposal for that location at one time, but now it’s back to purgatory.
Random -- that was only the recent era
Seeing as it was once on the mainline of the railroad [Pre-Pike Extension] what could it have been before it was a moving Co. warehouse

Well it was a warehouse of course and it provided the Army with a place to store things like Sherman Tanks which eventually made their way to the waterfront and then to France / Antwerp to supply General Patton

Post its conversion to the ultimate Doc-Com casualty it was proposed as a lab / manufacturing building for Bio/Pharma

The same reason for all its uses -- it was accessible, had heavy floor loading reinforced concrete construction with high ceilings
good for storing tanks, holding big boxes of batteries and lots of ventilation equipment depending on the era

^^Is it not a highly desired commodity in the current market?
Possibly, because the owner has been planning its redevelopment for some time?

Thanks for the additional color. If the building is so versatile, why has it sat empty since the late 90's if there is so much demand for space in Boston. It's not like this thing is in Pittsfield.

Seeing as it was once on the mainline of the railroad [Pre-Pike Extension] what could it have been before it was a moving Co. warehouse

Well it was a warehouse of course and it provided the Army with a place to store things like Sherman Tanks which eventually made their way to the waterfront and then to France / Antwerp to supply General Patton

Post its conversion to the ultimate Doc-Com casualty it was proposed as a lab / manufacturing building for Bio/Pharma

The same reason for all its uses -- it was accessible, had heavy floor loading reinforced concrete construction with high ceilings
good for storing tanks, holding big boxes of batteries and lots of ventilation equipment depending on the era

Thanks for the additional color. If the building is so versatile, why has it sat empty since the late 90's if there is so much demand for space in Boston. It's not like this thing is in Pittsfield.

Because it's landbanked. Harvard owns it.

WTF are you talking about?

This was a Cabot, Cabot, and Forbes building.
Here is a link to their marketing brochure.

Boston-based real-estate development firm Cabot, Cabot & Forbes originally developed the 176 Lincoln St. for internet company Globix Corp., which went bankrupt in the dot-com bust of the early 2000s and was later acquired by RCN Corp. Globix had leased the full facility prior to filing bankruptcy and never occupied the building, according to Boston Business Journal.

And furthermore, the logistics depots for heavy vehicles are located near railroad sidings, because such equipment is shipped by train. And there are no sidings near 176 Lincoln. And, the B&A trackage through Allston would be a back-ass way of delivering vehicles to the Boston wharves So no Shermans, no half-tracks. no heavy howitzers pulled by tractors went from Allston to Antwerp or Normandy.

^^^There were sufficient sidings in Allston long enough to support trainloads of tanks of this length?

^^^ Marine Corps railhead, Barstow CA

WTF are you talking about?

This was a Cabot, Cabot, and Forbes building.
Here is a link to their marketing brochure.

And furthermore, the logistics depots for heavy vehicles are located near railroad sidings, because such equipment is shipped by train. And there are no sidings near 176 Lincoln. And, the B&A trackage through Allston would be a back-ass way of delivering vehicles to the Boston wharves So no Shermans, no half-tracks. no heavy howitzers pulled by tractors went from Allston to Antwerp or Normandy.

^^^There were sufficient sidings in Allston long enough to support trainloads of tanks of this length?

^^^ Marine Corps railhead, Barstow CA
Stellar -- you are missing something

When the building was Redeveloped for Globex by CCF -- it was already an old building -- with the guts in place [super heavy duty floors and high relatively column-free ceilings.

CC&F redid the building exterior and some infrastructure to accommodate very rapidly what was then thought to be an UNQUENCHABLE DEMAND for "Telcom Hotels" -- this was circa the denouement of the Dotcom / Telecom Era

I was working with a company which had already expanded twice in the previous 12 months -- one of my tasks was to locate a new possible site for expansion. I talked to several commercial real estate brokers about the requirements for about 100k sq. ft. with the ability to support networking equipment -- and this investigation of what was around inadvertently probably contributed to the irrational exuberance of the time

A period slightly later -- I talked to some of the people with whom I had inquired and learned that there were quite a large number of companies searching for about the same things I had inquired about. This churning of the same requirements through several Real Estate Brokers -- led the brokers to contact several possible developers.

The developers were convinced of the necessity of something like 7 to 10 Million Sq. Ft of space for -- "Telecom Hotelling" -- i.e. heavy duty floored structures to host: telecom networking switches and fiberoptic terminals, servers supported by lots of back-up generators and heavy duty battery packs [until the generators could kick-in], cooling, fire suppression, etc.

So what did the developers do -- they couldn't meet the demand by starting from scratch in the core of the city -- the permits and everything else would take "for-ever" -- so they went looking for warehouses and old industrial buildings -- which had the core "Bones" and also were close to rail lines or other ROW for running the Fiberoptic cables

This happened all over the Greater Boston area because all of the demand was being multiplied two to three times at least two to three times -- effectively converting about 1 M Sq. Ft -- into up to 10.

The old warehouse which just now happened to be situated along Lincoln St and the Turnpike -- previously of course a major rail corridor where the Turnpike was built was ideal. But it all came too late -- the irrational exuberance of the Dotcom/Telecom investors led to a near total collapse of many many of the companies -- and with it an even more precipitous decline in the demand for "Telecom Hotels"

If Harvard owns it, why don't they either develop it or lease it out? I would think that it could fetch something more than it just sitting empty unless there are some massive repairs that need to be made from it sitting empty for so long (weather damage, leaks, etc.).

Oh and sorry for derailing this thread. :oops:

If Harvard owns it, why don't they either develop it or lease it out? I would think that it could fetch something more than it just sitting empty unless there are some massive repairs that need to be made from it sitting empty for so long (weather damage, leaks, etc.).

Oh and sorry for derailing this thread. :oops:
See:
Harvard University has tapped Berkeley Investments as a partner to redevelop 176 Lincoln St., a vacant property spanning nearly half a million square feet, that Harvard has owned since 2006.

There is a separate thread for this project.

Is it just render filling? Are the roadway renderings at all indicative of what road conditions will be? Does the development have anything to do with restructuring the street?

Is it just render filling? Are the roadway renderings at all indicative of what road conditions will be? Does the development have anything to do with restructuring the street?

This development is "extending" Guest St from Lantera through what is now the Stop & Shop parking lot. It will be an entirely new block of streetscape!

Back