Apple Store Thread ][

No it was just on the first floor. I'm not sure what was on the upper floors.

A multi-story supermarket? How did they handle shopping carts?

Im going to guess they used the same system many supermarkets use in places outside the US where enormous parking lots around the building are discouraged in favor of rooftop or underground parking, or even no parking at all.

IMG_3012.jpg

The Ikea here in Atlanta has a system that looks exactly like the incline shown above. The floor of the incline is also magnetic which prevents any shopping carts from rolling downward! It's very cool. The Targets in Buckhead and at Atlantic Station here(both multi-level) have a different system; the shopping carts have their own dedicated up and down escalators. The shopping cart attaches and is pulled up/downward while the person rides on a separate escalator.

Ikea in Avon has one of those as well. I don't know if the incline is magnetic though.

View from the Meatpacking District Apple Store, NYC:

01.jpg

Makes me think of Quebec City.

Plaza in front:

02.jpg

Plaza temporary with movable elements; final configuration will emerge over time with feedback from users. Then it will be set in stone, so to speak, with permanent installations. A model to emulate in Boston?

03.jpg

A pretty nice intersection. Could Kenmore Square learn something here?

04.jpg

New York is taking back its streets for pedestrians. This used to be multiple lanes of traffic. Now it has a diminutive European scale. Quaint and restful.

All photos by MidtownGuy, Wired New York.

Really, another Apple Store in lower Manhattan? There's already one in SoHo.

Originally Posted by Ron Newman View Post
A multi-story supermarket? How did they handle shopping carts?

In New York some stores have dual escalators, with one equipped to handle the carts.

New York is taking back its streets for pedestrians. This used to be multiple lanes of traffic. Now it has a diminutive European scale. Quaint and restful.

New York is doing a light right recently, planningwise (its biggest setback is the incompetent and recalcitrant Landmarks commission). Boston could definitely learn - especially given "quaint" and "pedestrian friendly" is supposed to be its turf.

I mean, show that photo the next time some NIMBY used the word "Manhattanization".

Really, another Apple Store in lower Manhattan? There's already one in SoHo.

In New York some stores have dual escalators, with one equipped to handle the carts.

New York is doing a light right recently, planningwise (its biggest setback is the incompetent and recalcitrant Landmarks commission). Boston could definitely learn - especially given "quaint" and "pedestrian friendly" is supposed to be its turf.

I mean, show that photo the next time some NIMBY used the word "Manhattanization".
Yes I believe that those escalators will lock the wheels in place as it goes up. The escalator also isn't stepped, at least not the ones I saw in China.

I thought the Meat Packing Apple Store and the SoHo Apple Store were the same...but I don't know a whole lot about NYC, so I'm probably wrong.

Yes I believe that those escalators will lock the wheels in place as it goes up. The escalator also isn't stepped, at least not the ones I saw in China.

I know i touched on this earlier, but the Ikea in Avon has the same exact system. I was unsure of whether or not it was magnetized or had another locking method and it does. I believe that the grooves on the surface of the escalator match up with the cart wheels that have similar grooves. This essentially locks the cart wheels in place on the slope (but not so much so that it doesn't allow you to exit at the end).

As the thread has wandered to Apple stores elsewhere, there is the saga of the new Apple store for Georgetown DC.

First attempt:
PH2009020402127.jpg

Reject by an architectural commission (board comprised of three architects)

Second attempt:
PH2009020402129.jpg

Rejected by an architectural commission

Third attempt:

PH2009020402128.jpg

Rejected by an architectural commission

Fourth attempt:
PH2009020402126.jpg

Rejected by an architectural commission.

Fifth attempt:

Coming up.

Existing store, was previously a FCUK store until Apple bought the building for about $15 million.

PH2009011301483.jpg

The commission is probably very unsatisfied with the idea of demolishing the existing building. The existing building could be reused for hundreds of years for various programs without major aesthetic changes. A highly customized building for a computer company which may merge/relocate/disappear in a decade, not so much.

A pretty nice intersection. Could Kenmore Square learn something here?

How dare you suggest Boston could learn something from New York!

In all seriousness though, that's a beautiful area of New York. That's a part of Manhattan that people often forget about since there's so many purty skyscrapers in MT and DT.

That DC store looks like it could be pretty cool....I like the second design too, but I actually like it the way it is. It's a good looking building and I think Apple could make it work by keeping the same building and then just modifying the interior.

I like the second one. Why did they reject it?
Too much of a glass cube.

Complaint on the third was the oversize logo, and again too much glass.

Complaints on the 1st and 4th was that the entrance had too much glass, was too open spatially, and didn't relate well to the second floor. The 4th attempt seems to have dropped the cornice line by maybe 15 feet, based on the rendering.

Keep the existing building and put the store in it. Let the interior architecture project the avant-gardism.

Think the folks in Georgetown would go for something like this?

ArchRecord feature.

Probably not, though Georgetown University could build something similar.

Below is the Ritz Carlton Georgetown. This is the entrance; the two windows on the right side were once the dump pit bays for the incinerator. The incinerator chimney can be seen in the background. The incinerator itself, with its industrial art deco look, houses a lot of the hotel common areas; there is a dining alcove inside the chimney base. All had to be preserved.

F_R91690_EXT_449042BA.JPG

Back