Apple Store Thread ][

^lol thats a good question. I might have to pop in there and drop a McD's cup down there.

So, a question for all of you who followed this saga closely: did the Back Bay neighbors' input improve this project, diminish it, or have no real impact?

Remind me: what changed as a result of the input?

I hope people chime in with a response to your question about Back Bay residents. I didn't follow the building's progress during pre-construction, so I don't know. I don't think the neighbors ended up getting anything worthwhile, did they? Did Apple have to drop one floor?

One thing that Apple wanted was to be open 24-hours a day. Neighbors said no. So, it is only open 7-midnight and on Sundays 8-7, I believe.

I think this would have ended up happening, anyway, even if Apple got its way. I just don't see much need or demand for a 24-hour shop. And don't tell me college kids would argue differently. Not in enough numbers.

Why did the neighbors care about that? I don't think Apple Stores emit loud music to the street when their doors are open. Plus, does anyone actually live on Boylston?

I still say it would have looked much better at one floor taller. As it is, it looks a little too temporary.

Would Apple have had any use for an additional floor? I can't quite see them leasing out excess space to someone else.

As it is, they already have basically a full floor for the Genius Bar. That will be overkill when things calm down to normal.

Last August, the Back Bay Architectural Commission agreed that the nondescript building was not architecturally significant and granted Apple the right to demolish it. The next hurdle came when the BBAC asked Apple?s architects to rework the initial design ? which was even more minimal than the current one ? so that it would be more harmonious with the flanking circa-1900 buildings. In the revised design, which the commission ultimately approved 6 to 3, Apple added the columns so the building would mirror the vertical aesthetic of its neighbors.

Boston Globe 2/11/07
link

Here is a sketch of the original design:

boston.jpg

Forcing the addition of those "columns" was completely arbitrary. They are completely at odds with the rest of the building's austere, minimalist aesthetic. They obviously dont have to be there and they shouldn't.

I still think the BBAC did this just as a petty display of power.

And welcome back Justin and Ablarc.

While Im all for more 24 hour development, I dont see an Apple store necessary. 7-midnight provides ample store hours. The only reason Id have liked them staying open all night is to provide more light to the street

if they kept it open till 3am thurs-sat plenty of people would probably go in there from the all the nearby bars. There's nothing else open. They could have taken advantage of drunk people making bad decisions.

Drunk people rashly spending money at an IHOP late at night and drunk people making a rash decision to buy a $2,000 computer is the same thing

I hope people chime in with a response to your question about Back Bay residents. I didn't follow the building's progress during pre-construction, so I don't know. I don't think the neighbors ended up getting anything worthwhile, did they? Did Apple have to drop one floor?

One thing that Apple wanted was to be open 24-hours a day. Neighbors said no. So, it is only open 7-midnight and on Sundays 8-7, I believe.

I think this would have ended up happening, anyway, even if Apple got its way. I just don't see much need or demand for a 24-hour shop. And don't tell me college kids would argue differently. Not in enough numbers.

To chime in a few days late, I don't know of anyone in the neighborhood who had issue with the size of, design of, or hours of the property. Anything was better than the Copy Cop building, to be honest: Apple did a fantastic job with their first design.

The Back Bay Architectural Commission and Representative Walz exhibited their customary, knee-jerk, "MUST REVISE IT TO WHAT I DEMAND SIMPLY BECAUSE I CAN DEMAND IT" attitude, but I can't emphasize enough that they do not speak for the Back Bay community. Ms. Walz might have at one point, but now both Ms. Walz and the Architectural Commission seem to be what is commonly described as, "drunk with power."

It's discouraging.

(As a footnote, there are nights I'm not heading home until 3:00 AM and it's busy, and there's days when I'm up at 5:00 AM and it's busy. I believe Berklee is pretty much open 24 hours AND is a Mac school. I think there's more demand for 24 hour business around the Back Bay/Northeastern area than people realize.)

New York Apple Store, 9th Avenue and 14th Street, Meatpacking District:

9900.jpg

Photo by MidtownGuy, Wired New York.

9990.jpg

Back