Apple Store Thread ][

One thing that Apple wanted was to be open 24-hours a day. Neighbors said no. So, it is only open 7-midnight and on Sundays 8-7, I believe.

I think this would have ended up happening, anyway, even if Apple got its way. I just don't see much need or demand for a 24-hour shop. And don't tell me college kids would argue differently. Not in enough numbers.

Store hours:
Mon - Sat:
9:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Sun:
11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

I guess even 7-midnight didnt work out for them.

Store hours:
Mon - Sat:
9:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Sun:
11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

I guess even 7-midnight didnt work out for them.

Not at this time of year. Watch it balloon back toward midnight after warm weather and tourists return.

Apple wants to install steel bollards in front of Back Bay store to reduce odds of fatal crash

By adamg on Wed, 09/13/2023 - 10:19am
Rendering of proposed bollards

“The Apple Store, 815 Boylston St. goes before the Back Bay Architectural Commission tomorrow for a review of its plans for bollards in the sidewalk out front to ward off the sort of at the Apple Store in Hingham last year.
Apple has proposed installation of 10 bollards able to stop a 5,000-lb. pickup smashing into them at 20 m.p.h.
The commission's online meeting begins at 5 p.m.”

https://www.universalhub.com/2023/apple-wants-install-steel-bollards-front-back-bay

Apple wants to install steel bollards in front of Back Bay store to reduce odds of fatal crash

By adamg on Wed, 09/13/2023 - 10:19am
Rendering of proposed bollards

“The Apple Store, 815 Boylston St. goes before the Back Bay Architectural Commission tomorrow for a review of its plans for bollards in the sidewalk out front to ward off the sort of at the Apple Store in Hingham last year.
Apple has proposed installation of 10 bollards able to stop a 5,000-lb. pickup smashing into them at 20 m.p.h.
The commission's online meeting begins at 5 p.m.”

https://www.universalhub.com/2023/apple-wants-install-steel-bollards-front-back-bay
Does this feel like an overreaction?

Is this a play to demonstrate action to mitigate compensation to victims of the Hingham incident?

First, the environment/ layout is completely different in that cars cannot really orient themselves to be perpendicular to this specific storefront and accelerate the way that the driver did in a suburban mall parking lot fronting the Hingham store.

Second... are supposed to install bollards on every sidewalk in Boston with an adjacent building? Maybe we should just ban cars?

I hope the architectural commission rejects them.

Does this feel like an overreaction?

Is this a play to demonstrate action to mitigate compensation to victims of the Hingham incident?

First, the environment/ layout is completely different in that cars cannot really orient themselves to be perpendicular to this specific storefront and accelerate the way that the driver did in a suburban mall parking lot fronting the Hingham store.

Second... are supposed to install bollards on every sidewalk in Boston with an adjacent building? Maybe we should just ban cars?

I hope the architectural commission rejects them.

Speaking of overreaction..

Why not maximize that space with a Blue Bikes or simple bike rack line up????? Hit two birds with one stone - - - I bet a lot of the most avid Apple tech consumers (and workers at that store) would love to hitch their bikes there and it would provide a similar protection for the store.

Why not maximize that space with a Blue Bikes or simple bike rack line up????? Hit two birds with one stone - - - I bet a lot of the most avid Apple tech consumers (and workers at that store) would love to hitch their bikes there and it would provide a similar protection for the store.

I think there's already a BlueBikes station right outside of the store, though.

I think there's already a BlueBikes station right outside of the store, though.

Not seeing it in the Sept 2022 Google StreetMaps....and not seeing it in Stick's post #404 render link

It's there--flush against the street so that's why it is out of the frame of the photo:

1697713372712.png

If Apple is going to install them, who cares about them? There are already many locations around Boston with bollards. Even the new section of the BPL has those silly stone "tables" outside on Boylston, that I am told were to serve the same purpose. If it makes Apple feel better, let them do it. And perhaps the city needs to address such ideas with concrete guidance.

The real question is: When will this store get the new Apple Store design? It's been open for 15 years...let's go with a renovation, Apple!

It's there--flush against the street so that's why it is out of the frame of the photo:

View attachment 43718I

I didn't post a pic - - I posted a Google Streetview that can be rotated and view changed - - - no Blue Bikes as of Sept 2022. Perhaps there is now ,but all you are showing is an icon of one. Is there actual visual, non- anime proof of this?

(post edit: Ok, here is actual pic proof - - it is there! (y) )

1700004204279.png

IIRC, the racks disappeared for a time earlier this year due to an overnight waterline upgrade the city was doing on Boylston from the firehouse out east toward Fairfield.

Back